HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

1. drfyzziks

drfyzziks Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all,

Quick question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with. I've got a 64 GB Elitepad 900 and the matching dock. The 900 is running Windows 8.1.

Whenever I connect the 900 to its dock, I get a pop-up notification: "The attached device is not a Designed for HP ElitePad Accessory". Tapping the notification will dismiss it until the next reboot.

I've installed all the relevant updates via the HP SoftPaq download manager, but the problem persists. I'm guessing it's a driver issue but I haven't been able to track down which package/update would fix the problem.

Hoping someone here might've run into the same issue...

Thanks!

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

4. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

I am almost finished with a six day business trip where I used my ElitePad 900 (wish it would have been the ElitePad 1000 but that is a different thread) with the new jacket cover. The device stayed in the jacket and cover the entire trip except when showing off the core device. When not on use, the pen was in the holder the entire time. The first two day of the trip were at a conference and I carried the assembly everywhere. For the last three days it alternated between a laptop replacement and a handheld tablet during meetings.

I left my work laptop and personal iPad at home so depended completely on the ElitePad. This is exactly the scenario I bought the ElitePad for last year but it took the jacket cover to fully make it a reality. And when I finally get an ElitePad 1000 I just have to swap units in the jacket and I'm back better than ever.

dceggert, Rick and sven.hassel like this.
  5. penname

I just finished upgrading the operating system on my ElitePad 900 to Windows Enterprise 8.1 Update 1. The update was released last night on MSDN and is supposed to be publicly available next Tuesday April 8 (patch Tuesday). Update took just over an hour but may be a bit quicker when done through Windows Update instead of six individual patches.

I'm still checking out the new features but like the ability to pin Metro apps to the desktop task bar. A lot of the new features are geared to keyboard/mouse users, which is nice because my ElitePad spends a lot of time in that role when I'm not traveling.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. sequoia464

sequoia464 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the link to the new features, some interesting changes - I don't think they touched on the start menu though - has Microsoft brought back the traditional start button?

On a side note I finally broke down and bought a productivity jacket - I haven't used it much yet but it is a nice addition to the unit. Keyboard works pretty good - no missed key strokes that I have encountered. Could almost leave my laptop at home now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. penname

8. penname

This afternoon when I finally got around to running Windows Update I found a pleasant surprise - a patch called "Microsoft - Pointing Drawing". No additional details were available yet, but I installed it. After the patch the pen performance was horrible. But after a reboot and subsequent recalibration, pen performance is actually better than before the patch. I especially notice the difference in the diagonal lines, but pressure sensitivity is better in some apps plus cursive writing is a lot smoother.

I'm glad to see that updates are still coming out for my now "obsolete" ElitePad 900 G1. In fact, given the results from my recent business trip and this pen update, coupled with the fact that the ElitePad 1000 G2 with 128 GB storage is still MIA, I am once more thinking about skipping G2. My G1 setup is running smooth enough that it could possibly last me another year until G3.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yes, my 900 G1 gets by as my main machine pretty well too. It is nice to not 'need' something else. It really helps to bring objectivity to the market offerings.

But regarding that G3; well, a Cherry Trail machine with an even better screen and better battery life while still fitting in the accessory eco system would be great. However, a year from now it may be announced as available but receiving one by then is completely another story! ;)

10. penname

I lived through the struggles to get my G1 and peripherals so understand that point completely. Which is also why I didn't preorder the G2 this time around and have been waiting for one to actually be in stock somewhere. So if I skip the G2 I'll also delay the purchase hassle another year until I have to endure it for the G3.