HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Try this--> open Explorer on the desktop and navigate to 'Internet Options' under Tools. Go to the Programs tab. If the option to "Open Internet Explorer Tiles on the Desktop" is checked, clear the check mar and see if that corrects the situation.

RaymondPJR likes this.
  2. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

I pretty sure you have found my problem, but it is greyed-out. There is a check in the box to always open IE on the desktop but there is no way to change it. I wonder how that bug got into the system since IE wasn't one of the updates--or was it?

3. czvt7w

czvt7w Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an HP Slate 500 and two HP ElitePad 900 tablets all running Windows 8.1. I also have 2 wireless networks. The first one is a wireless ADLS router to connect to the internet and a second one (Access Point) with a wired (RJ45) that allows other pc's to connect wireless to the second network and connect to the internet via the AP. On my Slate 500 I can switch between both wireless networks without a problem. On the ElitePads I can connect to the second network but I cannot connect to the first one. The first network does not even show up in the network list to connect to!
    Anybody have any idea or suggestion as how to fix this on the ElitePad?

4. RaymondPJR

I don't know beans about routers, but I'm having a problem somewhat similar to yours. I have an old D-Link router which uses WEP, numeric key. My Envy can see it but will not connect. Interestingly, when I run the troubleshooter, my network then is not able to be seen. Strange. I've tried turning it off then back on but that has had no effect. That's the only advice anyone has given me.

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I am not really sure how to fix this other than trying to reload IE. Open the Control Panel and choose Programs. Under Programs and Features pick Turn Windows features on and off and uncheck IE. When IE is done being removed, reboot and then go back in and turn it back on again.

MS gave this as the procedure for getting rid of unwonted add-ons so maybe it will also reset the options.

6. RaymondPJR

Wow, a guy in Starbucks gave those same steps about three hours ago! It didn't work, however, it's still grayed out. I don't know what else to do. Is it possible to roll back to an earlier version of IE and then re-install IE 11?

7. RaymondPJR

That same guy fixed my microphone problem too. Turns out Beats Audio was set to listen to the speakers. When he set it properly, no more feedback from every sound in the room! The mic has issues with speech recognition or maybe it was the Google Search app, I don't know. Was not impressive performance. He also told me of a place here in Portland where I can go to test the HP Executive Pen. I bought a capacitive stylus at BestBuy yesterday and it does almost nothing.

EDIT: Hmmm, FlipBoard is out on the Windows Store but man, it's a memory hog! Not a bad for a Windows app, though.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  8. Larionof

Larionof Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

Tried to find a solution( someone other had the same on page 25-or-so) for not being able to install 'HP BIOS Settings'

SP63170( HP BIOS settings) says at the end of the error message: InstallDASLWMIProvider.4B109...., which tells me nothing.

edit: Just run the file from ftp://ftp.usa.hp.com/ root.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

Today after running the HP Support Assistant tool and checking for Windows and HP updates, I ran the HP SoftPaq Download Manager tool. It offered the HP Elitepad 900 System BIOS/Firmware and Driver Update version 1.0.1.3 Revision A. I looked at the release notes and noted some interesting updates so downloaded and installed. When the installer finished it flashed a message that a reboot might be needed, so I did. The BIOS firmware was updated during the reboot and I eventually got back to the desktop.

The first thing I checked was the version of the video driver. And discovered the an older version (9.14.3.1171) was installed. Since I got the new version from Windows Update, I went back and ran WU for a second time. Now Windows Update offered me the newer version of the graphics driver again. I installed it and after a required reboot was back to the latest video driver.

I went back and looked at the release notes for the Firmware and Driver Update again, and discovered it references the older 9.14.3.1171 version of the graphics driver. What surprises me is that the package would blindly remove a newer driver. In the future I will be reading the release notes for the HP driver updates with more detail before running them.

I just checked the HP Support web site download page and it wasn't working correctly for me. In the search function I can plug in the ElitePad and subsequently click on the correct version. But instead of taking me to the page where I normally select the operating system, I am taken to the HP Home and Home Office sales page. I tried this on three separate devices with three different browsers and got the same result. So for now, if you want the Firmware and Driver Update you'll need to use the HP Softpaq Download Manager utility or go to ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64105.exe.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  10. e4dorla

e4dorla Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.