HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

1. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the Ellitepad have these 2 problems that the Envy has?

- Poor wi-fi reception: how is the reception (range) compared to other mobile devices (phone, laptop)?

- Screen backlight flickering: does it appear on low brightness or / and in low ambient light conditions?

2. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

There isn't backlight flicker when brightness is at its lowest setting. WLAN reception should be comparable to a laptop. ElitePad has dual antennas similar to our other commercial notebooks.

Rick

3. blue

blue Pen Pal - Newbie

Speaking of WiFi, HP ElitePad 900 is the only Intel Atom Z2760 (Clover Trail) based tablet that has 2x2 MIMO WiFi solution. All other Z2760 based tablets, i.e. Dell Latitude 10, Lenovo ThinkPad 2, HP Envy X2 ... have only 1x1 WiFi solution.

2x2 MIMO WiFi solution achieves twice the speed of 1x1 WiFi solution and has a much longer range and much better signal reliability. This is an ideal wireless communication solution for the enterprise.

4. nick_white

Are there any issues with the tablet (that are on the other Clover Trail tablets):
    - sleep / wake
    - freezing / instability
    - sound turns off
    - touchscreen stops responding
    ?

Is everything working fine on it?

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

We don't really have very much information on that yet as the units just started shipping to customers about 2 weeks ago. There is a vacuum of information on them other than introductions at shows and 'unboxing' videos. The Executive pens have yet to ship to customers so we have no information on how the Atmel digitizer and pen work for drawing and annotation. Unfortunately at this point in time we just do not know yet.

6. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

I received my ElitePad three weeks ago today have used it extensively every day since. So far no major problems:

- Sleep/Wake. This is a major concern to me, not necessarily due to the hardware but because of past history with Microsoft operating systems and sleep/hibernate. Plus I've been spoiled by the instant/on off I've enjoyed with my iPads. But I've had absolutely no problems with sleep/wake and have been impressed with the implementation under Windows 8. I was watching a streaming TV show and stupidly hit the power button. Great, I thought, now I get to have the app restart and have to watch the stupid commercials again. But when I hit the power button, the video started right back up at the same location.

- freezing/instability. I only had one instance where I had to resort to a hard restart, and that was in the first week after massive patching (Microsoft and HP) and applications installs. So I am going to blame the OS on that one.

- Sound turns off. Never had that problem on the ElitePad although that was a all too frequent occurrence with my TouchPad. The ElitePad doesn't have Beats audio like the Envy X2 or the TouchPad, but for me that is a good thing. I tend to listen to classical, Americana and classic rock, not the music that Beat seems to be optimized for.

- Touchscreen stops responding. Never had that problem although some desktop programs I've found were so touch unfriendly that initially seemed that way. But in the same session I switched to another app and touch worked fine.

The only real weirdness was yesterday when my auto rotate stopped working. I checked the rotate button and the OS rotate settings to make it wasn't user error. Then I did a quick restart and have not seen the problem since. But in all fairness I've had this happen on my Apple devices before and fixed it the same way.

Another poster asked about Wifi issues. I have not had any at all connecting to either of my access points (Apple and Aruba models). I usually connect to the Apple AirPort Extreme using 5 Ghz 802.11N and performance has been rock solid, including daily video streaming during my lunch hour.

A sample of one so YMMV. My pen and docking station are supposed to ship in two weeks.

7. kitenski

kitenski Pen Pal - Newbie

just got my Elitepad 30 mins ago!

I'm going to install Office 2013 on there with OneNote for notetaking (hopefully pen will ship sometime soon)

Has anyone found any other killer apps to install? I was going to work my way thru the list on the NextBench Envy x2 "must have" apps.

One weird issue I found is in the task bar I had notification to "trust this PC". When I clicked the link it took me to a page in IE, to enter the code that was sent to my phone. When I click the box to enter the code, I do not get a pop up keyboard so I am unable to enter the code!

Just installing a stack of updates from Windows Update, hopefully that issue will get resolved after a reboot....

Cheers,

Greg

8. nick_white

Is the power cable flexible? Is it long or too short to be able to use the tablet when charging (the charger under the table and the tablet on the table, in a tripod stand)?

9. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

Nominal six foot assembly. The long flexible cable (slightly thicker than Apple iPhone charging cable but just as flexible) is about 70.5 inches from the connector to the charging module. The charging module is about 2.25X2.5 inches. The one in my office plugs into a surge protector on the floor and is long enough to plug into my ElitePad on the desk in a stand, oriented with the docking connector facing up. One nice touch I always appreciate is a Velcro strip for cable management.

10. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

IPS screen? I've seen some previews say as much but I see it listed as LCD. Also, how is the charge time? I know that the TPT2 is painfully slow, how is it for the ElitePad?