HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Rick,
    Is there any way you can post a video of the pen performance for drawing and marking up documents similar to the one you posted for the Slate 500 when it was first released? The new hardware is holding some of us back and the self-proclaimed expert reviewers are no longer showing pen usage.

It would be much appreciated.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Or, better yet, send me a review unit. I'll be happy to give it a spin around the block.:thumbsup:

3. bond007taz

bond007taz Pen Pal - Newbie

I am very happy with my ElitePad 900. I loathe Windows 8 because I have only used it on either an HP Slate or a desktop machine and neither did anything to win me over. I got the ElitePad and wow, windows 8 was made for this tablet. I am not a big fan of having to swipe from off the screen to get certain menus but once you learn it works. I set up my email and my remote desktop connections to my servers and office 2013 (I found i use the built-in email app over Outlook 2003) and so far so good. I like the feel of the tablet and how sturdy it is.

I have had it for a few days and had to charge it once, it does a good job at standby. I had a session of Netflix open whole time and that didnt seem to make a difference and I was able to start the video up from where I left off without having to wait for NetFlix to load.

Why did I choose the ElitePad 900? I like that I can open the tablet and service it, MYSELF. If I need to replace the screen, I can. If I want to replace the battery, I can. If I want to replace the hard drive, I can. If i want to replace the motherboard, I can. I don't understand why people considering the Surface Pro dont take that into account, but maybe they like buying a unit they have to send back to get serviced.

I don't have the jacket or any accessories, yet.

4. dceggert

Thanks "Bond, Taz Bond...."

I am noticing that most of the product sku's 'in stock' at retailers list that the box contents supposedly include a stylus. Did you get a stylus with your unit? If so, how does it work? I saw one unboxing video on Youtube where the individual was showing how the unit worked and in the background the stylus was still in the blister pack it came in....no inking examples from anyone yet.

The ability to disassemble the 900 is certainly a unique aspect that is not discussed much. Unfortunately, HP claims that a fixture is needed, however, as soon as the group figures out where and how many magnets are in there I am sure we will put together a disassembly procedure. It is only a matter of time.

I have the 900 on my short list as well and I am glad to hear that yours is working well. The only thing holding me up is the pen operation; I am very pen-centric in my usage of my devices. I need to be able to write and annotate.

As for what I am looking at I was waiting for the 'kit' to become available for the list of $999. I have found a retailer quoting $959 for it. The kit consists of:
    - 64 GB non-WWAN model
    - stylus
    - dock
    - Expansion Sleeve
    - Expansion Sleeve Battery

However, I have also found individually:
    - 64 GB non-WWAN model - available for $673 and as noted above, supposedly including a stylus
    - dock for $99
    - Expansion Sleeve for $67
    - Expansion Sleeve Battery for $99

So, piecing the kit together it comes to $938

Are you planning on getting any of the Dongles for USB, HDMI, etc. instead of any of the sleeves?

5. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

dceggert,

Mine (D3H85UT) did not come with a pen. It came with the 10W power adapter and the USB dongle. I went back to the HP site to look at the latest Quickspecs (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14471_na/14471_na.pdf) and the pen is listed as an optional accessory.

I went through the same math as you did since I also wanted a bundle but couldn't find anyone who had it in stock. So far I have been able to purchase the expansion sleeve through Amazon and just placed an order for an extra power supply. I have not been able to find a supplier (including direct from HP) that has the pen, docking station, or expansion battery in stock ready for shipment. Over the weekend the HP Small Business online store finally actually let me have the option to place orders for these three items with an estimated shipping date of March 2. That matches the availability estimate of "late February" I received from multiple vendors.

So far I am not a big fan of the dongle on the ElitePad. It has functioned perfectly on everything I've tried through it, but it just seems awkward hanging and flapping off the bottom of the device, especially when you have something like an USB flash drive attached. Plugging USB devices into the expansion sleeve just seems more solid to me. Having said that I will probably still buy the HDMI/VGA dongle since most conference rooms I go to still only have VGA options on the projectors and the sleeve does not have a VGA port. And am eying the Smart AC Adaptor so I can use the power brick from my HP laptop (or borrow a quick connection from co-workers) in case I misplace/forget the real adaptor while traveling. Although I don't need one anymore, I have co-workers who still need a serial connection to get into network and security appliances who will really appreciate the serial connector dongle.

6. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

I have back to back business trips this week and next, then a week of much needed vacation. I will see if we can do something when I return..

Rick
    Posted from my ElitePad 900

7. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

That thought actually crossed my mind ��

Rick
    Posted from my ElitePad 900

8. dceggert

Awsome...I plan on popping some of my Boy Scout Popcorn and waiting in anticipation! Thanks for the consideration....

9. bond007taz

bond007taz Pen Pal - Newbie

I did not get a stylus, all that mine came with was the device, a charger and a USB dongle. I have used the USB dongle to load Office 2013.

It was enough to get started.

Yes, I plan to get the rest of the items which I did not order until AFTER i got the device.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Although I bought a Surface Pro to try it out, the ElitePad 900 was at the top of my list as a Clover Trail alternative to the I5 in the Surface Pro. The 16:10 aspect ratio is appealing to me. In an ideal world, I would have liked to try them both before deciding on which would be better as an everyday business tablet. Availability of the accessories made that impractical. My 30 day trial on the Surface expires on March 11th.

I was only half joking in my post above. I would love to try out the Elitepad and post a review here for prospective users. I would need access to the keyboard/sleeve and the pen, if I'm going to fully evaluate the unit. I would probably only need the unit for a few days and could get it right back to you. You can PM me if you need a shipping address.

BTW, enjoy your vacation. I have college age kids ... no vacations permitted.:(

The kettle corn the scouts sell should be listed as a CDS, its so addictive.:)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013