HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I would agree, but would suggest they give us a 1440x900 res please. I too would really like to see how the pen performs as all the Atmel HP models have my interested piqued a bit.

2. tdinardo

tdinardo Pen Pal - Newbie

My jacket did not come with the screws you mention. How would one go about sourcing them (or if you know the specs for them, maybe they can be purchased locally at Fastenal)?

Thanks.

Tom

3. tdinardo

Disregard, just found the post that explains where the screws are....

4. tdinardo

I ordered my unit with the following options for wireless broadband:

0938205 B8B99AV
    WWAN HSPA+/WCDMA w/GPS
    0938208 B8C03AV
    SVC Prvdr MO VZ SPT ATT US

Unfortunately, the AT&T insert shipped with a full size SIM, the Verizon insert shipped with no SIM, and no information was provided for connectivity on Sprint's network.

My preference is to use this on Sprint's network. Can anyone confirm that a Sprint UICC card is what's required to do that, and that once lit, it will work with both the 4G and 3G networks? Since Sprint has zero information on the Elitepad and there is zero documentation on this on HP's site, I'm hoping Rick or someone else might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Tom

5. e4dorla

e4dorla Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered the stylus over the weekend from HP SMB and it arrived today. I also ordered the Elitepad 900 at the same time from MacMall.com and two days later they canceled the order citing a pricing error.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

6. sequoia464

sequoia464 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is anyone else having problems turning their elitepad on?

Mine has had issues pretty much from day1 with the start button, sometimes I would have to hold it down for several seconds, sometimes it would start as it should.

This morning it will not start at all, any ideas?

Edit: looks like my problem this time was a dead battery. I need to remember to actually turn the device off, not just let it remain in sleep.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  7. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone with the jacket battery problem care to try if restarting or shutting down fixes it?

Any other issues with the jacket?

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

So let me see if I have this correct....many have ordered the Elitepad 900 in hopes of someday getting a pen to go with it. You ordered a pen in the hopes of getting an Elitepad to go with it? ;)

Sorry to be poking fun at your order issue with MacMall but it just struck me as uber ironic...

Edit: welcome to the forum...er, asylum....

9. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

A big brown truck came to my door shortly before lunch bearing a box with the HP Executive pen, right on schedule. I'm going to give it a good test over the weekend, but wanted to give a preliminary report.

I know the way an item "feels" is very subjective, so YMMV, but this pen fits my hand perfectly. Just the right length, thickness and weight to be comfortable in my hands. I've also spent time with the Surface Pro pen and like the feel of HP version better. I was surprised to see that the pen clip is for appearance only. HP provides a double ended lanyard and the pen has a lanyard slot on top, but I couldn't find an immediately obvious place to connect to on the ElitePad or the Expansion jacket.

Getting the initial calibration done was an ordeal. When I Googled "Windows 8 tablet pen calibration" I saw other stories about painful initial calibrations on other Win 8 tablets (many on the Surface Pro) so I'm putting the initial blame on the OS not hardware. The calibration instructions HP provided were minimal although they did provide a web link to more detailed instructions. But it actually took piecing together several bits of data from the Internet together with trail and error to get the darn thing working.

I was doing all this calibration while working. The pen became functional right before a meeting, so I used the pen and Microsoft OneNote to take meeting notes. Responsiveness in OneNote was excellent and palm rejection worked perfectly. It was almost like writing on a piece of paper. My handwriting is horrible so any pen lag or inaccuracy instantly degrades writing to "impossible to read". The pen notes in OneNote were not more horrible than my norm so I was satisfied.

During the meeting I also used the ink function in Word 2013. I also used the pen for menu selection in multiple Office 2013 apps. Finally I got ambitious and did some quick Visio drawings using the pen. Overall my initial impression using the pen in the Office 2013 suite is positive. The pen also worked well to select menu items in desktop apps not optimized for touch (Google Chrome for example).

Over the weekend I want to try the pen with some drawing/paint apps but need to do some additional research to determine which ones are supposed to support pressure sensitivity. I did some very brief fumbling around in Autodesk SketchBook but it was the first time I ever used the program. If anybody has recommendations on free programs (and I have free legal access to the complete Microsoft and Adobe lines) suited for pen testing I'd be glad to hear them.

10. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been meaning to try this, but of course the problem has not cropped up again so that I can. Will test the next time the secondary battery disappears.

Last edited: May 12, 2013