HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

1. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

I was finally able to find a vendor here in the US who had the 64GB Wifi ElitePad in stock.

Overall, I was impressed by the build quality. The aluminum body has a great feel and balance The operational buttons have a solid feel and are easy to operate. A vast improvement over my last HP tablet, the unfortunate TouchPad. HP obviously put some quality engineering time into the design. One little touch I especially liked was the engraving the important system information (product number, serial number, etc.) into the body where it is readily available for service calls.The only item that seemed slightly off was the power connector. No functional problem with the power connector, but it just doesn't seem to have a loose fit. But that may be due to tolerances required for the docking station.

And speaking of the power connector, I'm conflicted on that. It is a proprietary design that reminds me of the old Apple connector. But that is the problem - why didn't HP go with a mini-USB connector or something along the size of the new Apple Lightning connector? Especially given the limited real estate. MIght have left room for a HDMI or mini-HDMI connector on the base unit. But it's always easy to complain after the fact. I'll probably forget all about this once the accessories finally become available.

And the unavailable accessories is my biggest disappointment with the ElitePad so far. Since there are minimal ports on the base tablet so a lot of functionality depends on having the expansion jacket, docking station, or one of the many dongles that fit into the proprietary charging/docking connector. The ElitePad ships with a USB dongle which helps a bit, but I really want to try connecting it to an external monitor/projector. I've gotten used to the Smart Cover on the iPad 2/3/4 and even had the HP case for my TouchPad, so I feel strange carrying around the ElitePad "naked". And like a lot of the commenters in the forum, I really want to try out the pen.

One of the many reasons I went with the ElitePad over the Envy X2 was the Gorilla Glass 2 touchscreen. Mine is very responsive and easy to clean. The resolution is adequate for the intended business use. But for entertainment applications like the Kindle reader, video streaming (Kindle, Amazon Prime Videos), I've been spoiled by the retina display on my iPad 4. The 1280x800 resolution is optimized for business applications anyway.

A lot of my time with the device so far has been making sure all the patches and drivers were up to date. Of course Microsoft had a big group of important updates I had to install and HP had a few driver updates available. Since this is a HP business product it can make use of the excellent Softpaq Manager download tool, and there is another update utility pre-installed on the tablet as well.

Once I was sure the ElitePad was up to speed, I ran the Windows Experience utility. Given that this is a Intel Atom Z2760 Cloverleaf computer, the scores shouldn't come as a shock:

Processor: 3.5
    Memory: 4.6
    Graphics: 3.8
    Gaming Graphics: 3.3
    Primary Hard Drive: 5.7
    BASE SCORE: 3.3

I actually went back to the HP and Intel sites to see if there were updated video drivers available since the current driver is dated mid-December. Neither site had any updates. My guess is that that graphics scores will eventually go up as drivers improve but the WEI base score for the ElitePad 900 will continue to be constrained by the CPU score.

Next I ran the wPrime utility which spit out a score of 58.095 seconds using the 32M setting and 4 threads. From looking at other available Cloverleaf results, this again seems standard.

Over the next few days I am going to concentrate on installing and testing my critical applications. I already confirmed that our companies web conferencing tool works on the ElitePad (it doesn't have iOS, Android or Windows RT clients) so that alone is a huge success story

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Great info! I'll add your benchmark scores to the Benchmark thread tomorrow!

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It looks like this is readily available on Amazon. Thanks for your initial impressions. BTW, is there a micro-USB on the tablet itself?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  4. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

No micro-USB on the tablet itself. That would have greatly improved the utility of the base tablet and I wish that feature had made it into the design. There is a compartment that opens for a micro SD card but the USB port is a lot more flexible. Especially given the current lack of dedicated accessories available to ship.

5. Bronsky

Thanks for your thoughts. It looks like the EPad is in stock almost everywhere. The accessories probably won't be far behind. I am most interested in the functioning of the pen.

I have been sold on the MS Surface for a host of reasons. But, the lack of battery life is really a concern, given my need for portability. I have found the Slate 500's battery limitations to be very restricting and have been looking forward to the Clover Trail atoms. They have, thus far, proven to be problematic, as none of the ODM's seems to know how to provide acceptable drivers. The TP2 tablet has serious display problems. The Dell Latitude 10 has digitizer sensitivity problems and the form factor is not as sleek as the EPad. The 16:10 ratio of the EPad is also attractive for note-taking in portrait mode (if the pen works well). The build quality sounds decent. The 400nits IPS display is a real plus, even without the high resolution.

A part of me just says "sit tight and wait." Please let us know if you get a pen and how it performs for you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Intel did a good job at balancing speed and battery-life in Clover Trail. Unfortunately, those tablets have been released with a myriad of different issues (some caused by the CPU drivers in use) and that put a stain on the reputation of Atom tablets (for us enthusiasts). I hope that, before year's end, all these Clover Trail devices will be shipping bug-free! :rolleyes:

If Intel and OEMs manage to get their future Bay Trail tablets fully-baked at release date, the next crop of Tablet PCs will be very interesting! I'm glad to see that N-trig has improved their digitizer substantially. That gives note-takers more options when choosing their Tablet PCs.

@penname: I added your Wprime/WEI figures to the Benchmark thread. Thanks for your efforts!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Well said. I too am in sit and wait mode for something on the pen performance.

So far the Q550 works well for me and, yes, the N-trig Gen 3.5 pens are problematic but at least it is a known issue that I can deal with. I need to know how the Atmel stuff works before jumping ship. It is very disappointing that all the 'reviews' and 'first looks' completely disregard the pen even though it is sitting right on the table in the video! All these 'experts' out attending shows truly believe the pen is 'optional' and that tells me they are phablet experts and not TabletPC users.

What a mess Microsoft has created.

8. Bronsky

After much reflection this weekend, I picked up my reserved Surface Pro to try it out for a month. I guess the "sit and wait" part lost out.:rolleyes:

9. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

Congrats and thanks for your purchase.

The ElitePad has been orderable and shipping with the dock and jacket included as a bundle for some time. Docks and jackets for after-market-order purchases have been shipping for a while as well, perhaps taking some time to fill in the channels. I will check with the accessories team on availability and let you know.

Rick

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Congratulations! I cannot wait to hear your remarks on how it works out. That screen is going to look like a huge video wall compared to what you are used to.