HP Elitepad 900

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Oct 1, 2012.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, did they say if the pen will look the same?

2. invisik

invisik Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know if the HP Slate 500 pen will work on the Elitepad 900? The Slate 500 pen is PN: QQ677UT and currently available. I really need a pen on this 900.

Thanks for any info.

-m

3. invisik

invisik Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, don't know how to edit a post.

I talked with my HP reseller agent and they said the pen HP was developing was cancelled because it wasn't going to be Windows 8 certified. HP didn't want to release something that wasn't certified hardware, so they scrapped it. They are working on a new pen and it should be released sometime in April. (note: released and available aren't always the same thing).

At least they are working on a pen.. gotta have it.

They also did not know if the Slate 500 pen works on the 900.... if anyone has one out there, please try and let us know.

Thanks.

-m

4. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

I am 99.999% confident the N-trig pen will not work on the Atmel digitizer on the Elitepad 900.

If you are in a tough bind and need something quick, try one of the capacitive pens for non-active digitizers like you can find at Staples or Office Depot. That may make a stopgap solution until the real Atmel pen can be obtained.

5. invisik

invisik Pen Pal - Newbie

Bummer they are different technologies. Guess we have to wait.

I did buy a Targus rubber tip stylus at Officemax this morning.. ugh, but it'll get me by until the real deal is available.

-m

6. net

net Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there any way to use use the productivity jacket with keyboard and simultaneously use a projector?

For instance, if you are doing a presentation and need the ElitePad propped up so you can easily view the tablet screen and have your hands free so you can use the keyboard without facing the projectors screen behind you.
    It looks like the jacket that has the built-in keyboard has no video out and no space to plug in a video dongle while in use and the jacket with video out doesn't have a kickstand or any way to prop it up, plus you still need a keyboard separately.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

The Productivity Jacket has a docking connector and any of the dongles, including the video dongle will work with the jacket.

Rick

8. net

net Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, that sounds good. I don't see anywhere it specifically says you can connect a VGA dongle to the charging port on the Productivity jacket . The expansion jacket has an HDMI port where you could use either HDMI or HDMI to VGA adapter, but the Productivity jacket does not.
    There is are demos on Youtube, but they never mention this.

Check 6:35 in this video. He only says USB and memory card slot.
    [video=youtube;xj4_umAbRMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj4_umAbRMc[/video]

In this one, the guy rushes through it so fast and only says you can charge while using the Productivity jacket.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksuEdIE4GUY

I have been looking for a user guide on the Productivity jacket and can't find one.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  9. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Hi Net -

Rick is the Program Manager from HP whose team designed and built the ElitePad, I think you can take his word for it :)

10. net

net Pen Pal - Newbie

Great, so it sounds like the ElitePad should be able to work for us after all. I'll check out how much it will cost with all the jackets and dongles needed to do what the users need to do.
    I haven't seen the Productivity jacket listed for sale yet. We will have to wait for those before ordering.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  11. cristobaldolz

cristobaldolz Pen Pal - Newbie

Rich.
    I have been using a TC1100 for 11 years.
    I have enjoyed it for my work and my private live.
    I trusted in HP and bought an ELITEPAD 900 without doubts.

I was very surprised when, the week after unpack my ELITEPAD the stylus dessapears and is impossible to buy.

For me the ELITEPAD, without a stylus (with palm rejection, of course) is only a toy. Only usefull for watchig videos and photos.

I have been trying to buy the stylus for 5 weeks.
    I have emailed with all HP, technical dept, client support, web store. All HP arround. Even have contact with HP germany becouse 4 weeks ago they had stylus in stock but couldnt sent to spain.

I have tried every thing. but one send me to other and other to other one... and so.

I really can't understand why HP decided to stop the production of the stylus. It is incredible.

An expert in HP-SPAIN recommends me to buy an tablet Slate 2, Digital Pen: QQ677AA. I have recibied today an DON'T WORK. I have fired 900 euros in the elitepad plus another 70 euros with a pretty unusefull stylus.

Please, as Program Mgr, Elitepad 900 can you confirm me that the ELITEPAD will have an stylus shortly?

Regards.

12. net

net Pen Pal - Newbie

There seems to be some kind of supply issue.
    There are also no keyboard/Productivity Jackets. Even when they did demo videos, they only had dummy jackets, not working ones.
    I don't know what the issue and delay is there. If we were to get ElitePads, we would not order them without the Productivity jackets being available. People will want to be able to use them somewhat like a small laptop with long battery life and set them on a desk without having to hold them up to see the screen, but don't want the dock because it isn't portable enough.

13. cristobaldolz

For me, HP IS PULLING OUR LEGS. This is a scam.

For any reason the ELITEPAD has died. I dont know why but something has happend.
    ELITEPAD IS DIED.
    They are selling the scrap to a number of users that still rely in HP. Poor us.

I am been very hard becouse HP has disappointed me.
    I have fired around 1100 dollars and I am not very happy with this situation.

AFTER ALL, THE ELITEPAD IS A VERY GOOD DEVICE.
    I really cant understand what is doing HP.

Poor of ELITEPAD owners.

14. cristobaldolz

An "EXPERT" in hp-spain tolds me that the "Slate 500 pen is PN: QQ677UT" was competible with the ELITEPAD but NOT.
    I bought one and.... That pen IS NOT COMPATIBLE. Dont work with the ELITEPAD.
    Now I have an expensive toy with a pretty useless expensive pen.

What is HP doing?

15. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Consider any of the other Clover Trail tablets out there such as the Dell Latitude 10, ThinkPad Tablet 2, Samsung Ativ 500T, etc.... They all have pens (careful with the L10 as some models are "pen-less"). Another alternative is the used Fujitsu Q552. Great bang for the buck!

16. cristobaldolz

You are right. There are many other tablets with pen.
    The problem is that I BOUGHT de Elitepad.
    I bought it for his ink capabilities and now, THE PEN IS CANCELLED.

I feel cheated because the pen was "availble the next week" when I bought the tablet.
    Now I own a tablet that I CAN NOT USE.
    I recognize that the problem is that I trusted in HP.

17. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

The Productivity Jacket availability has previously been communicated as "Spring" launch. I am currently in China overseeing first production of the Jacket which will start shipping to distribution centers next week and should be available in the coming weeks, depending on keyboard localization and fulfillment method.

Rick

18. cristobaldolz

Rick, please,

What about the stylus?
    Can you tell us anything about the stylus availability?
    Thanks

19. redmondguy

redmondguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Rick,first it was great that HP released a 10.1" tablet with digitizer, however the lack of stylus availability, and moreover lack of COMMUNICATION to users about the situation is bordering on unacceptable. The only reason I haven't outright ordered a Samsung ATIV 500T is because it's not 10.1" (it's too big for my taste). But Samsung totally has it right in the way it markets and focuses on the S-Pen... HP needs to stop treating the pen like a stepchild feature. I hope you can do something to influence a positive change and share some info with those of us who've sunk money into the Elitepad 900 and are waiting.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Redmond, WA

20. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Rick isn't answering because HP has no idea what to do about making a stylus available. Their first mistake was signing on with an unproven cheaper alternative in Atmel instead of going with an industry standard in Wacom which would not require a proprietary HP stylus to function. I have heard from some HP higher ups that there might not be a stylus anytime soon. That is why I refuse to buy anymore HP tablets for my company because they have seriously screwed up the last four they have launched. It might be time for HP to move out of the tablet market. What business wants tablets that don't have an active digitizer? If you do there are other, cheaper and readily available options to handle those needs.