HP Elitepad 900

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Oct 1, 2012.

1. esspee

esspee Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool. Thanks. Really wish we could get some videos or feedback from HP. Considering, next to the dock, this is our top consideration in a workplace tablet it is disappointing their is a lack of details. Usually not a good sign.

Anyway, with Intel's announcement of Clover Trail+ at MWC it seems like the CT vanilla based tablets will be dead on arrival considering how long it is taking some manufacturers to bring them along.

2. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Today I took the time to look at the size specs between the Elitepad 900 and my Fujitsu Q550 (which should also be the same for the Q552);

Q550/Q552
    7.56" x 10.80" x 0.64" - 1.7 lbs with the 2-cell battery (mine has a 4-cell)

Elitepad 900
    7.00" x 10.28" x 0.36" - 1.5 lbs

Keep in mind that both of these have 10.1" 16:10 screens. The EP 900 appears to be much smaller and lighter! Also note that this is without a Smart Jacket.

Amazing...

Edit: if this little puppy had an i5 CPU and a Wacom digitizer it could grow .25" in thickness and still be smaller than the Q550...and kick some perverbial booty to boot!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The ElitePad 900, from what I can remember, has no I/O ports whatsoever. That explains the extra thinness/lightness.

4. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

One of our main design goals was to be thin and light. The ElitePad 900 does have a microSD card slot

Rick

5. dceggert

Just a quick update for anyone interested...CDW is now showing the D3K61UT#ABA as in stock. This is the bundle with the dock, expansion sleeve, expansion sleeve battery, and the elusive pen. Compsource is showing them available starting 3/5/2013 so that looks now to be a real date. Costcentral has the lowest price that I can find for this package.

Edit: Costcentral now has them in stock as of this afternoon as well!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  6. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just checked and this bundle does not include the stylus. HP really screwed up this stylus option.

7. dceggert

This would not even be funny.

I checked here and the Stylus is not listed:
    HP ElitePad 900 64gb bundle W/HP Docking Station/Expansion Jacket w/Battery -

Is it possible that the $959 replaced the $999 back on 2/12 because the stylus was removed from the bundle?

Thanks for the correction. I think I am done watching the Elitepad 900 now. A TabletPC without a pen is DOA for me. It is supposed to be the same pen for the Elitebook Revolve and Envy x2 but there is no urgency to deliver. I guess I will pass unless I can be convinced it is better than everything else where the companies are actually excited to show off their pen operation and performance.

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I just don't understand it either. There is absolutely no PUSH to get anything out from almost anyone. It's weird. And the lack of pens is weird. Or drivers. Or a real "release".

Was it always this way in the past? Or this just something that's going on with Win8 tablets specifically?

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Unfortunately, pen based computing is still just a niche for the masses, Multitouch is good enough for 98% of those who are buying tablets and if we look at my son's generation they are more at home on the keyboard than with a pen/pencil. My son does his writing assignments on his Surface RT and Touch Cover and his desktop. Penmanship isn't even a requirement for him.

Traditional TabletPC Users are a very vocal and determined niche market but at the end of the day still a niche. Maybe if Samsung sells millions of their Wacom enabled Android Tablets the OEMs will take notice.

10. blue

blue Pen Pal - Newbie

HP ElitePad 900 is the only Intel Atom Z2760 (Clover Trail) based tablet that has 2x2 MIMO WiFi solution. All other Z2760 based tablets, i.e. Dell Latitude 10, Lenovo ThinkPad 2, HP Envy X2 ... have only 1x1 WiFi solution.

2x2 MIMO WiFi achieves twice the speed of 1x1 WiFi solution and has a much longer range and much better signal reliability. This is an ideal WiFi solution for the enterprise.

11. esspee

esspee Pen Pal - Newbie

We had a lot of interest in the Elitepad 900. Although it lacks ports compared to the Dell L10 it makes up for it in size. I think most of our users would be docked or roaming so ports while roaming are probably not an issue for most. However, what IS an issue is the lack of any information on the pen/digitizer. Users may think the iPad is great and they don't need a pen but these people are not used to tablet computing where a stylus IS most certainly a key feature.

Info on the stylus, let alone a way to order one, is even slower than the actual release of the EP900. Even Rick has been pretty silent on the style matter and has yet to produce any real tangible details or better yet videos and a route to order them alone with the tablet. Did HP screw up going with a unknown supplier who is now unable to deliver either on time or in mass.

Sad to see that a company who just last week said they were devoted to tablets is already floundering. The EP900 and the very average powered Android slate they announced last week are not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination but the first step a company targeting the tablet market might want to take is to add "TABLETS" at a section on their own website.

12. zeek

zeek Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had stylus on order for a while. It was supposed to ship yesterday but did not. I called HP and was told current estimate is that they will ship at the end of April. No explanation for why the delay. It would be helpful if Rick as the HP program manager could shed light on the situation. Also, does anyone know exactly what type of Atmel stylus is required, if there are any 3rd party sources and whether any additional drivers would be needed to make it work?

13. dceggert

Still trolling for pen performance videos but no luck.

In the meantime I found this video which shows the disassembly fixture and what is inside!

HP ElitePad Servicing

14. dceggert

Well, I took a step down this path but it was a baby step....I ordered an "HP Executive Pen" from HP today. The estimated ship date went from 3/18 to 3/10 so I assumed they knew something about them coming out soon. So, for $39, if I get it soon after 3/10, I will head over to Staples and try it out on the Envy X2!

If I decide to 'go' then I will order an Elitepad. If I decide not to go the pen will be on eBay....

15. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

Did your pen order get cancelled? Someone on the Envy x2 thread who ordered the pen said that he just got notification that his order was cancelled.

16. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

And, wishing to get further clarification, I just posted a question there. I'm re-posting it here since this forum is watched by Rick.

17. cristobaldolz

cristobaldolz Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a scam, a hoax
    I bought the ELITEPAD for his ink capabilities.
    Without stylus the ELITEPAD is only a toy.
    I thought the ELITEPAD could replace my old TC1100.
    Now I lost my money and I have to resurrect my helpful old tablet.
    ELITEPAD has died. Rest in peace.

18. martins2k

martins2k Pen Pal - Newbie

It appears I asked my question in the wrong thread so I will ask it here again. I'm wondering if there are any Elitepad 900 owners who have tried to install Windows 7 on it. I here some people say Clover Trail Atom Z2760 processor will not work with Windows 7. But I cannot find any info from people that really tested it. Thanks for your replies.

19. dceggert

None of the Atom Z2670 TabletPC's have Win 7 drivers. I have read that the new architecture is not Win 7 compatible but it is more likely that Intel did not want to support it. So, the answer is no, Win 7 cannot be loaded on the Elitepad.

20. Giacomo UCDS

Giacomo UCDS Tablet PC addicted

The pen is cancelled. According to HP Italy, there is problems with the original pen, so it will come a "second edition" with a different product number. No ETA at this time.