HP Elitepad 900

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I just got notice of an Elitepad bundle deal with dock, sleeve and slice battery. Is the elitepad shipping?

2. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

I just chatted with a HP rep at the business store and he told me all elitepads are "45+ days out" before shipping.

3. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

I am still torn between this (better weight, battery and espec the 16x10 for writing on student papers) vs the surface pro (faster, potentially wacom, better keyboard set up, more available -hopefully).

4. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

Yes, it is shipping

Rick

5. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Most of the resellers that are taking pre-orders are estimating a 1/31 ship date. Whether that is accurate or not is yet to be seen but it is getting close nonetheless.

Best deal I have found so far is here:

Hewlett Packard Hp D3H91UT#ABA Hp Elitepad 900 G1 D3h91ut 10.1" 64gb Slate Net-tablet Pc - Yes - Intel - Atom Z2760 1.8ghz - Multi- D3h91utaba :

However, with that said, I am still waiting on a review of the inking ability with the Atmel pen.

6. gskidsdoc

gskidsdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

more of a technical question... what WiFi chipset will be used ? apparently other makers are having issues with broadcomm installed wireless chipsets mostly revolving connection and range . couldn't find this specific info in the tech specs.

7. dceggert

No clue yet...sorry.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

8. dceggert

Still nothing on the pen performance but this video shows the 'jackets' very nicely...

HP ElitePad Cases and Docking Stations - YouTube

I still have questions on the 'productivity jacket' however:
    1. can I fold the keyboard out of the way so I can use the 900 in tablet mode?
    2. can I have the keyboard cover out of the way so I can still dock it to the docking station and see the screen?

It is nice that HP included the VGA connector on the dock...thanks Rick!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  9. Bronsky

I don't know if they redesigned the keyboard jacket from what we saw last fall, but I thought the original design was more of a folio concept like the Slate 500's folio. The Keyboard jacket looks great!

Hopefully the pen works well Dan. I've decided to try out the Surface as a replacement for my Slate 500. We'll see how I like it. The battery duration is my only real concern. I like the 16:10 aspect ration of this tablet. It'll be interesting to see if HP has any better luck than the other Clover-Trail ODM's getting the drivers right.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. dceggert

An update on the Elitepad 900 availability; I know it is reported as 'shipping' but availability at retailers may be a better gauge.

1. HP.com - not available anymore. They steer you to a 'reseller.'
    2. BLT.com - they have online stock predictions; up until recently it was listed as being in stock 1/31/2013 but now it has stretched out to 3/15/2013!
    3. Compsource.com has not only raised prices but the date has also slipped from 1/31/2013 to 2/15/2013.

The end of the month or middle of the month estimates sound a bit suspicious to me; in other words, they may have no idea when they are really getting them. Another victim of the Clover Trail delays?

To all those hoping for something they would like to be released by Christmas 2013, if it isn't announced to be coming out by about March of this year I really don't think it will make it! So far only Microsoft seems to be able to deliver on time (based only on the Surface RT) but the Surface Pro isn't out yet. Time will tell.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  11. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Hopefully they have used this time to:

1) crush all bugs and ship a truly business-grade device;
    2) get the Atmel Pen ready to ship.

12. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

Here in the Netherlands, the HP Elitepad 900 models are showing up as in stock at a number (about ten) of retailers...

13. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

Qualcomm Atheros AR6004 802.11 a/b/g/n according to device manager on my ElitePad (D3H85UT#ABA). Works great with my Apple AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express and Aruba access points.

14. e-schreiber

Are you in the US or Europe? Can you write a quick review about your ElitePad? Did you get the Pen? If so, how does it compare to other Pens you (might) have used?

15. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm in the US. I don't have the pen, but it is not due to lack of trying. My goal was to buy the Wifi bundle with jacket/battery, docking station and pen. But according to all the vendors I called, the bundle won't be available until sometime after "the end of February". The HP Small Business store couldn't provide any better information on availability. In addition, none of the vendors I know of have the individual accessories available for sale yet. So I sent ahead and bought the 64GB Wifi model and will add the accessories as they become available.

The ElitePad only arrived yesterday. Between work and the demands of She Who Must Be Obeyed, I'm still in the process of checking it out. I'll post a quick review and benchmarks sometime tonight. So far my impression is favorable.

16. e-schreiber

Ok. Start a new thread for it. We usually have a thread pre-release, then another post-release.

17. dceggert

I finally found a video with some info on the pen in it. It is not shown working on the tablet but it does show some features of the new pen. It appears to have a AAA battery inside! Easier to find than the AAAA inside the N-trig v3-v3.5-v4 pens.

HP Elitepad 900 e penna HP Executive Tablet Pen - YouTube

18. dceggert

An update on availability....

D3H91UT#ABA - the Elitepad 900 Bundle. CDW has a note on their site "This product was discontinued as of Tuesday, February 12, 2013." This was the $999 MSRP bundle. Listed as a replacement is:

D3K61UT#ABA. I have found this for $923 so it looks like it will be less expensive. The bundle still contains the Elitepad 64 GB non-WWAN, Stylus, Expansion Jacket and Expansion Jacket Battery. Availability for this P/N is listed most places as available and shipping the first week of March.

19. esspee

esspee Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm confused. Does the HP Elitepad 900 have an active digitizer?

I know there have been videos floated around here about the Atmel maXStylus which but I don't see where that has been confirmed as the stylus for the HP Elitepad. Looking of the Elitepad datasheet on HPs site I see no mention of an active digitizer. I only see mention of the Executive Pen and "10.1-inch diagonal WXGA wide-viewing angle display (1280x800) Multi-touch capacitive digitizer, durable, Corning Gorilla Glass". Then if I go to the sparse info they have on the Executive Pen I see nothing about palm rejection or active digitizer. "You can either use the pen to write on the screen or you can use it to right-click, draw, type, and navigate better than ever with a capacitive tip that offers pin-point accuracy to help improve productivity •Part of the suite of accessories designed for the HP ElitePad"

I have narrowed the choices down to the HP, Dell or Lenovo. I know Dell and Lenovo use Wacomb and while I feel HP nailed it with the 16x10 form factor I really need to hear about his mystery pen and its availability. It is the make or break as far as it being the HP or one of the others.

20. Bronsky

The pen's mechanism looks like it works a lot like the NTrig.