HP Elitepad 900

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Oct 1, 2012.

1. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Mhhh, the first demo video of Atmel just shows one of the common flaws you can also see when people are using their iPads with a stylus.
    You always have to write your sentences (or whatever) on the whole screen to look good. So the zoom in and out button will probably be your best friend when using Amtel technology in lectures...

2. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's looking like the 900 will be the standard tablet within the company once it's released. Why? Our standard laptops are ALL refurb Elitebooks/Probooks so I'm staying with HP. Obviously the resolution isn't the best but a few of the guys/gals in work don't have the best eyesight :)

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

There was a video in which HP managers demonstrating the device said that HP would design new "jackets" every 3 months or so and that the jackets would work on future tablets. That's a great strategy. I don't like the current jackets because the the smaller one has no silo and the bigger one (that doubles as keyboard-folio) "seems" to require the smaller jacket in order to hold the tablet....That sounds a bit too over-dressed to me.

Hopefully HP will make jacket with a silo someday. Or make an ElitePad with a silo!

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

6. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

The keyboard jacket does not require a smaller jacket.

7. e-schreiber

Nice to know. Thanks for the correction! :)

8. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder if HP will add an USB and HDMI ports after reading our gripes with this device? It should have had a full SDXC port....geeze HP!

9. e-schreiber

HP's goal when designing the ElitePad was to go after the crowd who loves thinness and lightness above all else -- to the detriment of productivity. The ElitePad seems to be thinner on the edges and that probably leaves no room for I/O ports. I can't blame HP for this stupid move, though. The iPad has shown that people just want something on which they can waste their time. The market has spoken: USB, HDMI, SD Cards, etc are unimportant. In other words, getting sh!t done, is secondary.

I just hope Apple don't ever make a 14" Black & White TV set! Because if they do, everyone will want one and suddenly all the TV manufacturers will have to embrace the B&W trend and make equally lame sets.

10. dceggert

No worries, 'there's a jacket for that.' A parody on the old 'there's an app for that' from the fruity company.

11. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Jackets? Hmm...now we have to dress this machine up like a dancing ******!
    I wonder how many layers ? Then to have to carry it around?
    There is just no more common sense in the design of machines. In the old days
    machines were desiged to make work easier . Nowadays, even with sophisticated technology
    we make extra effort to make work less important if not more difficult.
    Is that what gadgets are all about? I would fire the design engineer
    for this brainless design especially if it is being targeted towards business' and enterprise
    markets.. Who wants to carrry a bunch of jackets to figure out
    which one to use for a particular job assignment?
    They had the slate in their hands only to mess it all up instead of
    making it a beast in the 10" size with a 16:10 form factor.
    Why HP? Are you really listening to us all?
    Well, Dell Latitude 10 just went up my ladder of choices. I think they got the idea/concept correct and
    they'll do really well.
    I might even preorder one with the special pricing they are offering now on the base model.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  12. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apple will probably ship their next iPad with a full sized SD card slot and then all the companies 'without one' will look very, very lame. :)

13. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I still love the size of the slate. I would like something half as thick, twice as powerful, HD resolution, Wacom pen, HDMI out and 10 hour battery. Oh, and no jackets.

14. e-schreiber

Exactly!

I also like the Slate's size. To me, 8" to 10" is the sweet spot. I like smaller sizes too, but then the UI becomes very difficult to be used with the finger. To me, HP should have upgraded the Slate 500 to Clover Trail, put a silo in it and made an optional keyboard-dock. That would have been great! Given the improvements to the Ntrig digitizer (reported by the fine folks at the Duo 11 forum), I'd be ok with Ntrig too.

I wouldn't complain about thickness or weight if I got 2 full-size USB ports, 1 any-size SD card slot and 1 any-size HDMI port (sadly, full-size HDMI is going extinct). Having a replaceable battery would be nice, but given the surprisingly decent battery life of Clover Trail, I could live with a soldered-on battery.

None of the current crop of Win8 tablets is 100% perfect for me. They all force me into compromises (including my two favorites Ativ and TPT2). Sometimes the compromise is the aspect ratio, sometimes the size, sometimes the design of the keyboard-dock. :(

Edit: Bronsky, HD resolution on a 9" screen would become a hassle when using traditional Desktop programs.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  15. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well HD res is just 720p, which all Atom tablets not the 900 offer, unless you guys meant to say full HD(1080p)

16. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I meant HD (720p) which I think would be fine for a 9" slate.

17. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

I realize that it is in vogue and fashionable to bash HP in the press and blogs today. I also realize that one-size-does-not-fit-all. A retailer may want a credit card scanner, a construction company may want an ultra-durable design, and an executive a sleek design. The strength of the Jacket concept is that the ElitePad can meet the needs of diverse market segments just by choosing a jacket with the features desired. Don’t need any specific ports or features? a minimalist? then the ElitePad without a jacket is thinner than the IPad3. Emirates Airlines has chosen the ElitePad with a Jacket and a second battery for incredible battery life, amongst other features. They get it.

Watching customers who have actually seen and put their hands on an ElitePad tablet has been a treat. Their responses have been overwhelmingly positive and the question asked most is “When can I get one?"

Sincerely,

Rick

18. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I think conversation would improve if HP actually showed us what the jackets will provide. Right now, they only offer increased weight and thickness and nothing in the way of specific work uses being met. It's pure hypotheticals. Considering HPs recent track record with slates and tablets, I think it's fair to have a healthy dose of skepticism. Let HP do the heavy lifting with its consumers and have them _show_ us this product is awesome.

Would I like an Atom slate with a good pen with a silo, a durable build, and a clamshell dock? Sure. Might HP be providing something like this with this product? Sure. And if so, that sounds awesome. And I'm happy to have it be a bit thicker and heavier if it's truly modular.

But how can I get excited about what this offers when it's completely unclear what it really is offering? It's really pretty vague. That's HP's fault, IMO.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  19. dceggert

Actually, they have...well, sorta. There is a jacket with 2 USB ports, full size SD card slot, and a full size HDMI port. There will also be a jacket with a magnetic card reader for field sales. HP has indicated that they will have a new jacket design every three months or so; if you want something specific, let Rick know right here in the forum!

20. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Oh, I know of the ones you speak of, but that's still more of a promise and less of a real product. There are no demo units getting shown or reviewed and no real specifics. It's just pretty vague.

But I think I expressed things that would be interesting to me-- durable outdoor build, pen silo, with perhaps an extra battery in the jacket. Built for true mobile solutions. A legit clamshell keyboard would make it much higher on my list. I don't mind a little weight as a laptop, if I get a really mobile solution as a slate.

Hey, I like the _idea_ of the jackets, there's just not much there yet.