HP Elitepad 900

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the Latitude 10 have a clamshell keyboard dock? Also, what's wrong with the ASUS or Samsung Atom slates? Aren't those docks also clamshell based?

2. simpleatsh

simpleatsh Pen Pal - Newbie

I would say business tablets is a completely different breed from consumer products, and when I say business, I meant restaurants using this tablet as mobile POS, hospitals using this for charting or delivery company for signature. for those business, you need a device small enough to carry around and easy to use single-handedly, the keyboard dock from envy line won't be that useful in those scenarios.

Design wise, I think the ElitePad looks more business friendly, as an industrial designer myself, we tend to tune down a bit of the "sleekness" when we are working on business/professional product. the more "formal" design make the product look more trust-worthy and reliable.

I can also understand why HP go for the jacket solution, different vertical markets needs different accessory solutions. I am sure somewhere inside HP you can find some prototype jackets with bar-code scanner or credit-card slots lying around.

the 1280 x 800 resolution is a bit of shame though, you lose the "snap" function from windows and around 25,000 pixels compared to 1366 x 768, but I do like the 16 to 10 ratio, I would even prefer the good old 4:3 ratio. 16:10 already looks a bit awkward in portrait mode, 16:9 certainly won't help.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I just noticed something. The ElitePad's keyboard-dock has no touchpad....or pointing stick! Ninja! o_O

hp-elitepad-900-lead-shot.jpg

4. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

Re the 1280 x 800 resolution; agreed that you can't do snap on the unit, but I thought I heard the HP guy say that it did support dual displays, not just mirrored displays...

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

In the overall scheme of things it's not that big a deal. My Slate 500 folio is very similar to the new KB and I simily use touch to navigate and type when I need to imput.

As someone who uses his slate solely in a business environment, I welcome the more traditional clamshell design. It is more stable on a table top and makes a better display base. It can be lifted with one hand without it folding in on itself as folios can do. And, if you want to show client's individual information, you can simply snap off the tablet and pass it around. I don't see the Envy being any thicker than the folio/keyboard combination of the Elite 900, so it will not be any less functional in a presentation setting, around a lunch table, etc.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  6. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

According to HP's press release, Snap "may be enabled by attaching an external 1,366 x 768 or higher resolution display." In an emailed message explaining why HP opted not to support Snap's requisite resolution, Katie Norris – a representative from PR firm Edelman, writing on behalf of HP – stated, "[W]hile the Snap feature is a convenient tool for consumers in the new Windows 8 interface, it does not currently support Outlook or other business applications." She noted that focus group testing and customer feedback conducted by HP indicates that users prefer 16x10 aspect ratios due to comfort, usability, wider viewing angles, and display of legacy applications. In other words, what the ElitePad 900 lacks in native Snap functionality, it might make up for by being one of the few 16x10 options in a predominately 16x9 universe.

In an email, HP PR manager Mike Hockey illustrated possible 16x10 advantages, writing that many customers "have invested heavily in 'home grown' form-based applications that are used in portrait mode, such as in healthcare." He mentioned that the ElitePad's aspect ratio will allow it to avoid "unnecessary horizontal and/or vertical scrolling," adding that common 16x10 formats include Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, and "most" eReader content.

Rick

HP Communities - Why is the ElitePad 900 Aspect Ratio16:10? - HP Communities

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  7. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

Thanks Chris..here to answer questions and help out where I can...

Rick

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I appreciate your presence here on the forums, but I have to say I couldn't disagree with you (well, mainly the company line) more:

[​IMG]

I strongly believe that while 16:10 is great (I would prefer it too), that it shouldn't come at the expense of major Windows features. If 16:10 was that important, it should be 1440x900.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and the market won't agree with me.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There are differing reports as to whether or not the Latitude 10 will have a keyboard dock. Some sources say yes, some say no, but regardless, we haven't seen it yet.

I personally am not a big fan of Samsung or Asus. Samsung for their tactile feel (on both phones and laptops, they tend to go with very thin, flexible materials, and from hands-on of their Atom tablet it's no exception), and Asus for their iffy keyboards (either mushy-feeling or missing keystrokes or both) and questionable quality control on the G gaming laptops and the Nexus 7. In contrast, the Envy X2 has universally been described as well-built and solid in hands-on reviews.

EDIT: That said, if the Dell has a keyboard dock I'll seriously consider it, and I'm also somewhat open to the Samsung (flexible doesn't mean bad-quality, even though I don't love the feel), but Asus is basically off the list for me. I've never met an Asus keyboard I like, and keyboard quality is very important to me.

10. e-schreiber

Here's my guess regarding the choice of 16:10: HP probably figured that Metro apps won't be used very often -- if at all -- in business environments, so they decided to favour "readability in portrait orientation" over "full Metro compatibility". That doesn't explain, however, why they didn't use a higher 16:10 resolution like 1440x900. Maybe that would put an excessive burden on the CPU...? Or perhaps on the battery...?

I have a TC-1100 and, if it didn't have a pointing stick, I would miss it tremendously. To me, being forced to touch the screen when on laptop mode seems quite cumbersome.

I have 2 questions:

1) Which tablet is that in your avatar? It doesn't look like the ElitePad... (!?)
    2) Why no silo? Not even on the simple jacket?

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

My understanding is it's a cost issue. Despite the "elite-" name, the ElitePad is going to be priced VERY aggressively, like the Folio 13, and a 1440x900 screen wasn't compatible with that pricing strategy.

12. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am pretty sure the upcoming Atom CPU and GPU combo can support 1440x900 res. I am pretty sure there were Pentium M devices at around 1440x900 res, and I am sure the upcoming Atom CPU/GPU comb is better. On the other hand I can't say much on how it may affect battery life.

13. e-schreiber

Pricing might have been an issue too. In this video they say the ElitePad will sell for $699. So maybe target price, popularity of 16:10 and battery life were the 3 defining factors. The TPT2 is my favourite so far, but the 2 Ativs by Samsung come in close 2nd and 3rd. HP did a few good things on the ElitePad (serviceability, jackets and price), but the lack of a silo and pointing mechanism on the keyboard-folio make the ElitePad unsuited for me.

I'm curious to hear from the early-adopters about the quality of the N-trig 4.0 digitizer.

14. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

One thing for sure, this fall and first quarter 2013 are going to be VERY INTERESTING as far as what is available.

We need to start a decoder ring of devices because keeping everything straight is going to be a nightmare real soon!

Any ideas on how to do this so we can all add to it? Sorta like a TabletPC-wiki of sorts...

15. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

My Avatar is an Elitepad drawing with a Smart Jacket.

The Elitepad is 9.2mm and the pen is thicker than the Elitepad and jacket, so a silo was not practical

The Productivity Jacket, (keyboard case) has a pen holder.

Rick

16. e-schreiber

17. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Is the pen on this a Ntrig or Wacom, btw?

18. e-schreiber

Here's the Pen in the ThinkPad Tablet 2, which some sites have reported as Wacom:

[​IMG]

Here's the Pen on the ElitePad, which (I think) has been reported as N-trig:

[​IMG]

19. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The "hands on" article said that they couldn't use the pen because it was a wooden mock-up so no idea how accurate that is. Reading: its FUNdamental.;)

20. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member