HP Elitepad 900

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

sorry that you purchased the slate 2 stylus. that question was already asked in this forum and the poster was told it would not work. the slate 2 is Ntrig technology and the 900 is Atmel. Please search the forums next time as our users are usually more knowledgable than the manufacterer representatives. I would force HP to refund your money for both items and purchase something else.

2. cristobaldolz

cristobaldolz Pen Pal - Newbie

Please Techgeek32.
    Any idea how to force HP to refund my money?
    I dont want the ELITEPAD.
    I want a true TABLET with active stylus and palm rejection.

I am from Spain and noone in HP is aswering me about the problem with the stylus.
    Noone in HP spain knows anything about the subjects we are talking in this forum.
    Not only ELITEPAD is died. As I can see how they manage the issues, problems and asnwers to the customers. My sentence is that HP is DIED too.

It is a shame, good material, good ideas but poorly finished and poorly sold.

Instead Apple making money with simple ideas, simple material but sold brilliantly.

I repeat, it is a shame.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  3. cmathiaz

cmathiaz Pen Pal - Newbie

Agree. Same story with HP Envy X2. No stylus support even after 2 or 3 months. Disappointing! You will Envy other people who have bought better tablets from Samsung/Acer with active stylus support!

4. sequoia464

sequoia464 Pen Pal - Newbie

I reluctantly returned an X2 because of the stylus issue. Only had a 14 day window to return it and there wasn't anything coming from HP about definitive support. Loved the machine otherwise (except the 16x9 format)

Hoping the same doesn't happen with the Elitepad 900

5. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

I have sent you a private message regarding your concerns. The ElitPad pen is an active stylus and does support palm rejection.

Rick

6. jaygss

jaygss Pen Pal - Newbie

Does any estimates exist, when it will come on market? I bought the Elitepad 900 a month ago mainly for the pen (in contrast to the Lenovo Thinkpad 2 where the pen is smaller and I don't like small pens) and I have to say that I am really happy with the mashine EXCEPT that there is no Pen. I spent countless hours looking on the Internet for information on that stupid pen, ordered it at MANY different suppliers who say that they have it but in the end couldn't deliver.

But I have to say, I like the system and look of the Elitepad 900, hope the pen will come soon and then I can recommend it to everyone who is willing to pay a few hundred more for a better product (in contrast to for example to the Envy X2).

PS: If you cannot tell us the date when it comes out (due to marketing issues or whatever) - I understand, but pls get the department responsible for that to give out the information (and find it out!). An active stylus is in my opinion the second most important feature for a tablet computer - just behind the battery life- and leaving your customers in the air for that is something NO company can afford. Not for a product that is supposed to be business line (and price).

7. DblAgent

DblAgent Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps in Fairytale Land, where imaginary pens do all kinds of cool tricks. In the real world, however, the Elitepad stylus is a myth not unlike the giant that lives at the top of the beanstalk.

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Guys,
    Rick has taken the time to come here and personally give us information on the product. That is a privilege. I understand the frustration you all are probably feeling with the pen perpetually "almost there" but never being released, but please keep it civil. He could just as well not come here at all, and then that would serve none of our needs.

9. Rick

Rick Sr. Program Manager

The pen has been in production awaiting the F/W release which is now on HP.COM and pens are ready to ship from our Asia hub. Generally, I exepct pens to be orderable beginning of May but it depends on which region and channel they are purchased through.

Hope this helps.

Rick

10. pmcd

pmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

I am very interested in this tablet, especially for the active stylus, 16:10 aspect ratio and VGA connectivity. I am in Canada. The tablet can be bought, pen seems elusive and the VGA adapter even worse. Is the adapter going to be available soon? With the 32 gig model how much space is free after getting rid of unnecessary software? I basically just want to write out lectures and don't care about OCR. Quite happy with Windows Journal.

When writing does the touch capability turn off? If not, how does it deal with the wrist issue.

Does anyone have a WEI for this tablet?

Finally, how does writing on 16:10 compare to 4:3 which I far prefer? The only experience I have with widescreen tablets has been with the Surface which I found too long and way too narrow.

Thanks,

Philip

11. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

It's practically the same as any other Clover Trail tablet (Atom Z2760, PowerVR 545, 2 GB RAM, eMMC).

12. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

13. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hi Philip,

I have a Fuji Q552 which has a 10" 16:10 display. I love the aspect ratio. It also has the same resolution as the Elitepad and I find it perfect for the size. I use it at 1-1 (100% view). I can even use it in portrait mode for making lists, etc., but it is not quite as good in portrait mode as the 4:3 of the IPad. Still, it's not bad. I also had the Surface Pro and could not agree with you more about the 16:9 ratio. HP made a smart move when it stuck with the wider display.

I would absolutely love to see a 4:3 aspect ratio display on a next gen Haswell tablet. I can dream.

14. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Okay, switching gears and jumping into an Elitepad 900 with at least one foot. So far on order:

- EP 900 (used), Expansion Sleeve with Battery, and dock - due for delivery today
    - Productivity Sleeve, Executive Pen, and VGA adapter - due for delivery tomorrow

I will spend the weekend putting all the latest on it and trying it out and by the week of 16-Sep I should be able to tell how it goes on a daily basis.

The Expansion Sleeve will allow me to continue to use my method of file transfer via SD card between the TabletPC and my laptop, and I can also use the USB port to sync files with my pen drive. The only stickler will be the pen performance. I may just bite the bullet and do a Youtube video myself since there are no videos of the pen usage on the EP 900 at all. Everyone really seems to have taken Microsoft's lead in going it penless.

I will also be able to compare it side by side with my old Q550 and my Q702 so this will be interesting. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  15. invisik

invisik Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi....

Regarding the pen, I've been using it off and on for a few months now with OneNote (metro version). I have not previously used a pen interface, only on a Surface Pro for about a week. So I'm coming mostly from paper.

I use it to take meeting notes mostly, so a lot of writing in a short period of time. I'm used to ruled paper so I turn on the rule lines. My handwriting is not very neat to begin with (well, printing, I don't do cursive writing.)

Overall, I give it a 7 out of 10. Once you get the screen in pen mode, it writes along fine, very little perceived lag most of the time. I press and hold the pen in the margin next to the line I'm going to write until the little circle appears (to tell me its recognized the pen is there) and then I pick up the pen tip, move it to where I want to start writing and write away. Palm rejection works fine. If you want to scroll the OneNote page, you have to pick up the pen, wait a few seconds and then you can scroll with your finger. It's not a smooth as the Surface Pro where it just recognizes the pen is close by and knows the difference between a pen and a finger, but it's fine once you get the hang of it. (I didn't like the feel of the Surface Pro pen itself, felt like a crappy plastic stick--which is kinda what it is)

The pen itself is a good thickness and weight (similar to any other fancy business pen). The right-click button on the pen is kind of large or in a weird place, as I often press it by accident just trying to grip the pen for writing. I had an issue with pen battery life being very short, but since I've put in a higher quality battery and ensured the tip/button isn't pressed when it's not in use and that has helped. Sometimes I'll unscrew the pend half-way so the battery doesn't make contact to ensure it's not draining it if I'm traveling or something. I'm honestly not sure if this is a real problem or not, I'm paranoid about battery life in my devices. :)

There is no place to store the pen on the tablet itself, which is kind of a bummer. The pen has a hole to put a lanyard or string through it, but I'm not sure who's going to do that. It also doesn't have a clip on it, so it sometimes falls out of my laptop bag's front pocket or rolls off a table, so I'm frequently checking it is there.

The EP itself is very nice (I have a Surface RT , Blackberry Playbook and iPad 2 and had a Surface Pro for about a week). I have the 64GB model with AT&T 4G. I have it in the Expansion sleeve with second battery, all the dongles and I have the dock at my desk for it to charge and look at. No real complaints about it, runs all my stuff just fine.. maybe having more then 2GB RAM would be nice (I believe that's a platform limitation though, maybe next gen Atom's will give us more). Wish the HP logo stood out more, as I'm tired of correcting people that it's not an iPad. :)

Hope that give a little info on the pen usage. Happy to answer any specific questions.

-m

16. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't really get the lack of focus on a digitizer. That is especially true in an enterprise device like the E900. Even with a dodgy N-Trig pen on my Slate 500, I came to depend on it for most of my note-taking. I never lose notes anymore. With the better N-Trig on the Fuji Q552 (still has its flaws), I'm using the pen even more. Here are some recent notes taken from my review of an environmental insurance matter that I was evaluating (redactions courtesy of PDF Annotator).

IMG01846-20130910-0947_zpsaafc7553.jpg

Try that without a pen. As I promised myself when I had my Slate 500, my next device will have a Wacom digitizer.:thumbsup:

Looking forward to your comments.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  17. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

It does, thanks very much! Your information is also very reassuring.

You may want to try the new firmware for the pen interface. The new software is supposed to make the transition from touch to pen smoother and the transition back to touch smoother as well. Also, other users are reporting that the lag in writing is now gone. If you have not tried it yet it may be a good idea.

As a user of the Fujitsu Stylistic computer series starting with the T580 I purchased probably 3.5 to 4 years ago, the N-trig pens are round and roll everywhere. The T580 had a silo but the Q550 did not. I solved the issue with a zippered portfolio I bought from Office Depot. It is a Foray, has a pad of paper in it that I discarded, and the computer fits in it nicely and there are two pen loops to keep your pen. There is also a pouch for 'real' pens and a built in solar calculator. Perfect for the wallet crunching price of $13. Mine is still in action carrying my Q702 and I plan to use it with the EP 900 when it is up and running.

This will never go away until there is something other than an iPad to take over the tablet world. In the 1970's every SUV roaming the planet was a 'Blazer' just like every sweetened solidified liquified ground up horse bone dessert is "Jello" (not sure if it really is ground up horse bones but that is what I was told when I was a kid by my science savy Grandmother). That was the case until the late '80's when the name "Explorer" took over. Even to this day all SUV's are "Explorers." So, until something else trumps the iPad all tablets and TabletPC's will be "iPads." Unfortunate but true.

Just smile and realize that what people think you have is a toy but you really have a computer in the palm of your hand that is more powerful than the one that sent the Apollo rockets to the moon!

18. mrdunn

mrdunn Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought a used Elitepad 900 and like it very much. I have other pads, including the HP Touchpad running android. Just wanted to say if people did not know, that the Bluetooth HP Touchpad Keyboard seems to work with the Elitepad.

19. atlantis

atlantis Pen Pal - Newbie

I am completely new to using a tablet.
    I was wondering if the HP elitepad works with any other 3rd party stylus, for E.g the surface pro stylus which allows you the thickness of your drawings by using more pressure on the screen.

It would be nice if anyone can recommend me a suitable stylus.