HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ATIVQ, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

That sounds very promising!

2. Unlogic

I got mine yesterday and I must say that so far it feels like a very solid device.

I had to fiddle a bit to get Windows Hello working with the fingerprint reader and remove the usual load of useless HP utilities. But apart from that I only have positive things to say so far.

Having had various tablets with poor speakers for years I'm really impressed by the speakers.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Unlogic

I haven't received the Thunderbolt 3 dock yet as the 90w version seems to be i short supply. I'm gonna see if I can cancel that order and place a new order for 65w version of the dock along with a separate HP 90w power brick instead.

For those of you buy the version with 4G built in I've noticed that the driver doesn't seem to like when you swap the sim card while the unit is on. I had to reboot when I switched sim card in order for everything to work properly.

4. Unlogic

I noticed that as soon as I played a youtube video in Firefox my usage usage would be a bit higher that expected. I quick look in the task manager revealed that a process called Flow.exe belonging to the Conexant/Bang & Olufsen sound card driver was eating quite a lot of CPU. It seems like it doing some kind of DSP work in runtime. Found various threads on the HP forums about disabling the Conexant/Bang & Olufsen related programs but no solutions that worked on the EliteBook X360.

I the end I renamed Flow.exe and put a dummy exe file in it's place which solved the problem without any noticeable change in sound quality.

5. Unlogic

Got the 65W version of the Thunderbolt dock today and so far it seems to work just fine. Thunderbolt software even reports that eGPU support is enabled!

[​IMG]

The charging via the USB C/Thunderbolt 3 cable doesn't work with the 65W power brick but hopefully it will work when the 90W power brick arrives.

ATIVQ and Starlight5 like this.
  6. Unlogic

I got the 90W power brick today but it's still not enough to charge the computer via the dock. I get a message saying that the adapter isn't providing enough power to charge the computer and the battery very slowly discharges.

I guess this is why the 90W version of this dock isn't available. The 65W dock seems to be same unit as the ZBook 150W/200W use according to the label/partnumber on the underside of the dock. The only differences seems to be the included power bricks and thunderbolt cables.

The ZBook version of the dock comes with a cable the combines both a thunderbolt connector and power connector at both ends.

[​IMG]

While the Elitebook version of the dock comes with a cable that has the combined connector on the dock side and a normal thunderbolt connector on the computer side:

[​IMG]

I'll buy the 90W version of the dock whenever it becomes available just to see what the difference is.
    For now I'll use one power brick to power the dock and another one to charge the computer.

Here is a link to 90W version of the dock on HP's website: http://www8.hp.com/za/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=15832461

7. Litsch

Litsch Pen Pal - Newbie

I got mine last week and noticed that the backlight of the keyboard is pretty irregular. All the fn-keys are really bright, while you can barely see all the other keys at night. Did anyone else notice this problem? Cheers Felix

8. Unlogic

The function keys are a bit brighter on my unit but not much.

[​IMG]

The buggy conexant/bang and olufsen driver is getting on my nerves however. Tried uninstalling it and reverting to the windows default driver but that left me without a working volume control.

9. Unlogic

I've noticed an odd bug with relating to the WWAN driver. The toggle button for WWAN option seems to disappear from time to time however the connection itself still works. Very odd.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Is anyone else having the same issue?

ATIVQ likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm struggling with consumer/business and Ntrig/Wacom on this model.
    I've purchased HP Spectre x360 13T FHD and have the 4k screen version arriving 3/28. At this point, because this is really a superb device, I'm going to return this and get the Elitebook version depending largely on price, with full understanding of business class/consumer class issues. I usually buy business class for all the right reasons, but HP has totally outdone themselves, and pretty much every hardware mfr, with this model.

Can people who have purchased give an idea of price paid and configuration options chosen?

There is nothing I can find to criticize on this (Spectre) machine, except that it is a consumer model, thus I expect random hardware failures to accumulate over time (got Sq. Trade wtty just in case all hell breaks lose; don't trust HP extended wtty/ADH for consumer model as they provide pretty awful tech support/svce and no on-site avail for cons. models as is for Dell). The active display/pen is, well, just like a Surface device (I own an SP3) - though the pen supplied by HP is a little more comfortable in the hand, my Surface 4 pen works perfectly as well. Not having any driver issues at all and battery life for the FHD is 7-10 hrs, legit (I'm sure I could tax it to reduce batt life for a given cycle, but nothing in my range of use cases goes below 7 hrs per charge, and 8.5-9 is truly the norm.) On Tuesday (Mar. 28) I expect delivery of the 4k screen version of this model. I've heard lots of praise for the 15" version of the screen; expect the 13" to be divine as well. It's overkill for the most part, but said to take only about 1 hr. off battery life (I can live with 1.5 hr off; we shall see), and can always set it to FHD if scaling issues become annoying. Have 3 options:

1 & 2 - keep one of these two
    3 - send them both back and get the Elitebook version

Thus my questions about price and config people are actually paying - in US preferably, as elsewhere they are higher and I am, for better and ***worse!!*** living here. Other observations as to my decision welcome as well. Note, this is an incredibly well made, 100% stiff chassis and these days I do little business travel so it will lead a fairly charmed life in terms of the durability case for business class.

Finally, here's what I have/paid:

1) HP Spectre x360 13T - "2-in-1" 13.3" (16X9, glossy ugh - but not as reflective as some.)

-- Core i7 7500U
    -- 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe/PCie SSD
    -- Active digitizer/Ntrig pen/Glossy screen (not the worst reflectivity, but sure prefer matte)
    -- Windows 10 Pro
    -- 57 mwh Battery
    -- 2 USB C ports with full Thunderbolt support/power supply input
    -- 1 USB 3.1A
    ** Sadly, that's it for ports. I can live without most, and don't expect Ethernet on a consumer model, will get dock (Dell makes a very small, well-made one for around $80 to add Ethernet, HDMI (version?), USB3, VGA). Big miss: no SD card!
    -- Standard 1 yr wtty (got $200 Square Trade ADH 3 yr wtty; don't trust HP consumer svce - if it breaks, I want my money back to purchase latest/greatest at the time for next 3 yrs. Thoughts?)
    Everything else as expected with up to date 2017 Ultrabook.

Price: $1,215 (with 25% discount coupon)

2) Same exact model/specs but 4k display (not yet received): $1,371 (with 25% discount coupon)

I started out this post just looking for price-paid inputs (as opposed to list prices, I can get), but as I wrote I realize I am also seeking input as to consumer vs. business class on this purchase. I've tried to explain rationale for considering consumer (usually don't) but welcome your thoughts relative to *these specific options, today* (as opposed to the general business/consumer decision, in which I'm well steeped!) That's also why I'm not posting this in "What Should I Buy."

Thanks/Peace
    Jeff