1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

HP Elitebook Revolve

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by 2disbetter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

I saw this recently and it looks REALLY great. I really like the aesthetic on this. Still no real word on specs, outside the normal ultrabook specs. Still could be nice. Wonder if it'll have a digitizer, or if this is HP's response to the Lenovo Twist.

2d
  2. Welsinki

Welsinki Pen Pal - Newbie

The design looks quite good.
  3. Taikero

Taikero Pen Pal - Newbie

HP announces the EliteBook Revolve, a Windows 8 convertible for the business crowd (video)

It does support a pen, though it doesn't have a silo for it (similar to the Sony Vaio Duo 11). This makes me think that this is the successor to the 2700 line, rather than something like the Twist. It looks pretty, but the resolution (1366 * 768) is going to prevent me from purchasing it. This low PPI is fine on my old 2730p, but it seems thoroughly antiquated now. I like that the soft touch finish is applied not only to the bottom, but to the top and palmrests. The touchpad is giant when compared to previous models, which is great, too. I'm not seeing slots for a slice battery on the bottom, which is another knock against it, though it does look like the primary battery is removable, at least.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. ctoots

ctoots Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if the pen will have hover functionality? I'm torn between this and the Lenovo Helix, the only real down side to the helix with regards to the revolve is that the helix still throttles the processor a little when in the tablet plus mode.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've just grabbed myself an 8470p and the MD is having a 9470m as soon as it arrives but I'd, as usual, REALLY like to see if this machine could fill the gap and become my main machine in work. It would have to have suport for 16Gb ram, 7mm SSD and possibly an mSata drive.

Crosses fingers...
    (Comes back in three mins to add this:)
    http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/p...nkfurt2012/HP_EliteBook_Revolve_DataSheet.pdf

Ahh, ok, 256Gb mSata which is perfectly fine as that might be expandable. If I want dual channel the max will be 8Gb with one soldered down so NO vengeance ram to improve the HD 4000. :(

Micro-SD and USB 3... fair enough.

This would probably replace my 500t instead then
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Don't know about pen performance yet but the Revolve, Elitepad 900, and Envy x2 all use the same Atmel Maxstylus 'Executive Pen.' So, yes, it is an active digitizer.
  7. excalibur1814

Agggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh I want this machine! Would anyone have any idea of a release date? It would then probably be released in the UK three months later if I'm lucky.

I had a think last night and it would replace my 8470p and 500t all in one go so I'm VERY interested. Hey, HP, send me a test unit! :)
  8. dceggert

Most of the HP Youtube videos I have watched the release date was announced as 'March' which gets translated as follows:

Elitepad:
    'January' actual: end of February

Therefore:
    Revolve:
    'March' projected: end of April

HP has stated that this replaces the 2760P. Keep in mind, however, that although the machine is quoted as being "1/3 thinner than the 27xxP" it no longer uses a Wacom stylus (it is Atmel) and it is now 16:9 aspect ratio instead of the 27xxP 16:10.
  9. excalibur1814

It's now March so only a month to go! :)
  10. dceggert

11. excalibur1814

I'm wondering what the $2,422.00 model will feature over the $1,799.00 version.

Thanks for the info :)

Looks like the slim battery slice is a go :) RX932UT
  12. ctoots

ctoots Pen Pal - Newbie

great to see this up. it's a bit difficult to navigate through the information, any idea why the base price for the customizable option is so much more than the standard option even with the same hardware???
  13. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

14. dceggert

This is just a guess based on watching the 27xxP over the years but the customizable versions are just that; flexible systems you specifiy and they use a different system for ordering and delivery as opposed to the 'quick ship' models already built. On the 27xxP units the customizable units were in the 1,800 - 2,200 range while the quick ship were in the 1,100 - 1,500 range.

What is really interesting to note here is that the quick ship models are less than equivalent versions of the Fujitsu Q702's with the keyboard docks included. Of course the Revolve does not separate but the size of the Revolve in tablet mode is amazingly small for a convertible. It is still 3+ lbs, however.
  15. dceggert

Yes, still absent is the pen inking performance of the Envy X2, Elitepad 900, and Revolve which all use the same pen.

What is curious is how the so called TabletPC 'experts' playing with these things at shows describe the features, show the ports, show the scrolling action with the finger, but neglect to pick up the pen laying on the table and use it. In contrast, it is a big deal to show the pen for the Thinkpad Tablet 2, Samsung 500T and 700T, and the many other varieties of TabletPC's with pens. I actually take this to mean the inking is poor and the reviewers are not showing the bad news. However, I am pessimistic by nature. The flip side is that HP has invested heavilly in their future with Atmel being the digitizer for all three of the new TabletPC's just introduced; picking a good system across all three platforms would be smart, picking a loser system would sink all hopes of HP ever being able to sell another TabletPC for a long time because the Atmel system is all they are offering now.
  16. ctoots

ctoots Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the response. Do you think this means that you can still access the ram slot? So that you could order the i7 8gb and replace the extra 4gb with an 8gb from something like crucial.com?
  17. excalibur1814

There is one user accessible ram slot with the other soldered onto the motherboard. :( So... 2Gb, 4Gb or 8Gb for a max of 12Gb. I'd go for 8Gb for dual channel.
  18. APasserBy

APasserBy Pen Pal - Newbie

If you are referring to any of the recent HP Amtel pens, at one of the press events, the reviewer mentioned that none of them were functional -- they were just wood models, designed to look pretty.
  19. excalibur1814

Aggghhh! Well that's that then

Starting from £1,740 Inc. VAT
    Starting from £1,450 Exc. VAT

That's a lot of cash!