HP Elitebook Dragonfly: 13" screen, yoga hinge, 2.2 lbs

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by JoeS, Sep 18, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

PC Mag has their review up and of course they like it a lot. They do note that the fan runs frequently (which seems to be typical of HP and which my VP that bought her own unit noted as well).

If it weren't so darn expensive in the configuration that I would buy.....:(

https://www.pcmag.com/review/372430/hp-elite-dragonfly

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So what would make you get this over the Spectre x360 OLED 13" out of curiosity?

3. desertlap

lighter weight, VPRO option

Marty likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I can't get 4k and LTE on the Spectre, but can get 4k (LCD and not OLED) and LTE on a Dragonfly, BUT it will cost me $3080 instead of the $1699 I paid to BB for the Spectre...

Where's the value proposition in that?

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hands on, do you know if the reduction in weight comes at the expense of chassis flex? That's one of the things I get worried about with these magnesium alloy builds: they always feel more flimsy than aluminum.

For example, I could definitely feel the difference comparing the SPX to the previous Surfaces. In fact, the SPX felt so good, I'm still dreaming of it 2 weeks later from the store, lol. :D

Additionally, have you heard anything from Intel about vPRO coming to Ice Lake? It's kind of a bummer they've restricted it to Whiskey Lake and Comet Lake. I mean even some 6th gen Core M chips have it, c'mon Intel!

6. desertlap

BTW: The 4k option on the dragonfly doesn't have quite the wow factor that the OLED does on the X360 but based on our brief test of our VP's unit it's an excellent accurate display

7. desertlap

@Marty Purely experiential based on handling a couple of HP demo units and again our Vp's, that was the most surprising thing was how solid it feels. Even when I tried to torque the demo unit more than what the HP reps were probably comfortable with, it felt quiet solid.

As to intel's all over the place product release strategy.... My mother always told me if you can't say something nice..... :)

PS: Since we are on the topic, the Specter hinge is definitely smoother in operation than the dragonfly fly. Not sure why, but there a couple of "catches" on the dragonfly that aren't there on the Spectre.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@MobileTechReview (Lisa's) review of the Spectre x360 w/FHD display just in. She likes it well enough that between:
    1) Ability to have LTE
    2) Better batt life
    3) Lower price

I think I will get my first 1080p laptop in 3 years! Funny how we here at TPCR once again in lead with the only "expose" of the Intel Optane problem on the HP among all tech "mags" - that does remain a concern, but I'm assuming @dstrauss and @desertlap don't feel it is a deal-killer?

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I just don't see the SSD as a deal breaker for the Spectre as expressed over in the HP thread. Although I really regret not having LTE, I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on 1080p instead of 4k OLED - that screen is to die for. Since the hotspot feature on the iPhone is "always on" now, its a shorter process than before, but not the same as just instantly changing to LTE when wireless is useless.

10. desertlap

I would agree with @dstrauss, in 95% of use cases even the optane combo is faster than the human behind the keyboard. And truly it feels quite quick in use.

Of course there will be the single issue spec obsessed outliers that will claim that "it's rubbish" but honestly if that's the case they have the wrong laptop. Since after all they can find faster processors or faster graphics than the iris plus and so on.

For me, it gets back to what I think I have said elsewhere, that this X360 Spectre is the best balanced best value system HP has made in very long time.

lovelaptops and dstrauss like this.