HP Elitebook Dragonfly: 13" screen, yoga hinge, 2.2 lbs

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by JoeS, Sep 18, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Good eye, yeah I think that's an oversight on their part. HP's (confidential - oops) promo material posted in the AnandTech post does state it explicitly:

[​IMG]

Unrelated, gotta love that by the time they show up to 24.5 hours battery life we've reached footnote number 29. Lots of fine print on this machine!

[​IMG]

bloodycape and Marty like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had an all too brief hands on with this yesterday. Assuming that it actually tests properly it really might be the device many are dreaming of (with a commensurate high price tag)

This is another hands on, and if anything he's underselling it.
    https://www.pcmag.com/feature/370799/hands-on-hp-s-elite-dragonfly-is-an-absurdly-light-laptop-fo

One side note, it does include the 1 watt 1080 p display and an option for 4K. The good news is that based on these displays in the folio, they have substantially fixed them with the only remaining issue is that they aren't all that color accurate.

The 4k OTOH is truly drool worthy

JoeS likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Yes, but let's face it: we just need you to get something new, Dale! I mean, it's been quite a few, er, weeks at least since the Dell and you're back to using that GB12 - again! Fedex misses you; your credit card processor misses you...

Marty and JoeS like this.
  4. lovelaptops

Separately, I would like to say that this machine does strike me as almost too good to be true, and if it was an HP consumer model I would strongly advise against buying it as a new model, as they are almost always "beta" products at first release. My own experience with their business lines is quite different. Still, first output of a totally new chassis, etc is a little risky, but HP is fully equal to Dell and Lenovo in business models and their customer support is usually quite good too. BTW, the Elitebooks have done amazing things with power efficiency in recent years, so while I assume the estimates are not reflective of normal usage, I don't think it's more than 25% off, which means 12-18 hrs for the two battery sizes, respectively, and I'd be fine with either! One thing I haven't read about is whether these will be user-serviceable/upgradeable, but HP's business models usually are and I noted that, while very light, these are not as ultra-thin as some consumer ultrabooks and that gives hope for more socketed parts. With the specs available on this machine, if you value light weight, high quality, business class service, high durability, top specs, etc, I can see it as good value even at $2,500 well-spec'd because I can see it being a 5-yr very useful life product, which is my new standard for buying devices in a world headed for extinction. This won't be true for people who need every ounce of power today's devices crank out and can't remain competitive professionally with tech that's more than 2 yrs stale, but there are plenty of 2015 products I owned/own (Thinkpad Yoga 12), a new battery, bigger SSD, new wifi card and I could be very happy. Of course, now I want today's caliber of screen, TB3, LTE that weren't available then, and I don't know what will come out in 2-4 yrs that will be hard to "live" without, but personal tech is pretty much in a flat, mature portion of its life cycle, and I just can't imagine getting anything much thinner, lighter, faster, with better physical characteristics than what this model has.

Just sayin...

bloodycape, dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  5. desertlap

+++ to this.
    If it was the consumer line I'd be cautious in the extreme but HP is at least as diligent with their business lines as Dell with the Latitudes and Lenovo with the Thinkpads (and notably NOT the Yogas).

In HP it's almost like a different company between the two. That being said, I'm eager to see what MS has coming in couple weeks.
    But I may be joining @dstrauss in getting one for my work system.

PS: Based on the few minutes I had to try one out, I'd be surprised if this one is user serviceable in any fashion and HP couldn't tell me.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

That's a big disappointment, because it somewhat reduces its longevity if especially wifi can't be replaced, SSD due to age. I guess a long wtty handles that mostly. Just curious, what were the telltale signs?

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, I zigged for your zag. Despite all the new tech popping up around us and the big reveal in a couple of weeks, I plunked down $1750 to a trusted eBay seller for a 2019 ThinkPad X1 Yoga fully tricked out...
    • i7-8665U
    • 16gb RAM
    • 2tb SSD (yes, 2tb)
    • 4k UHD display
    • 4g LTE
    • Lenovo warranty through 06/30/20 (extendable)
    I get my pen garage, 4g LTE, acres of RAM and SSD; no Ice Lake, 1/2 lb heavier than the Dragonfly (with its bigger battery), but Dragonfly has no LTE option...we shall see how long this stays in the starting lineup...

JoeS and lovelaptops like this.
  8. lovelaptops

$1,750????? New or used? Is that remotely close to fmv? Good luck, and do report back!

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

OMG that's an awesome system. This latest X1 Yoga looks promising. No major complaints yet on the forums! Very different story from the 3rd gen which was kind of a dog.. I wish it was that half pound lighter, with 3:2 screen, but otherwise it's approaching Perfect Machine territory. Congrats!

10. desertlap

Again since the time I had was brief I could have just missed it.But the construction reminded me of the surface book 2 tablet portion. Not many visible screws and no obvious things like an access panel.

I hope I'm wrong, even just access to the RAM and storage would be sufficient for me and I think a lot of people.

BTW: the weight and battery life figures that HP are throwing out there can be confusing and misleading. In other words the long battery life is with the bigger battery and the 1 watt display, but the weight in that configuration will be higher.

Oddly, apparently the 4k screen is actually slightly lighter than the 1 watt unit. At least according to preliminary info they gave us

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019