HP Elitebook 2740 ordering & shipping

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by lovelaptops, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

In terms of speed X18-M > the rest of them. By cost per GB I think X18-M wins also, when you get it from ebay.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I think Solsavr was looking to add additional capacity to the limited capacity of the 1.8" 160GB SSDs

Still curious, how do the ExpressCard SSD speeds compare?

3. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Your right. I am looking for more, easy/fast onboard memory. The express option looks kind of neat, might have to dig further. I can't seem to find any "firm" info either way with the SDXC compatibility, although I am a little upset (very lttle, cuz I love this PC!) that a brand new $$PC like this would not have the newest reader, if it needs one. I have read a lot where it seems to imply that the SDXC will work, in SD reader that can read up to 32gb (which ours can)...but then just when I get ready to purchase one, i read another thread that implies it won't! Even HP say in "should", but "try it and see"...As long as I can return it, I just might take the gamble.

On another note, the WriteShield I ordered (custom size) is a perfect fit!:D It make the inking much better (imho)...and I have had the same one on my work tablet (tc4400) for about 2-3 years now, and it shows no sign of replacement, so these things, while expensive ($60) are a resaonable investment for both function and protection.

If you want to order one, send an email to Loyd at: 'ldu@ppctechs.com' tell him you need a custom cut, Anti-glare for the 2740p (like Johns :))
    Use dimentions:
    Width 276mm Height 178mm

I have no affilliation with PPCtechs...just like their products! I also ordered a screen shield for my EVO 4g (but ordered that in crystal clear...tablets should use Anti-Glare)

Anyway, take or leave the above...just thought I'd pass it on:cool:

Lastly, if you do buy one of these...FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS to install. Have some scotch tape available if needed, and a can of compressed air (needed). The best method is to STEAM UP YOUR BATHROOM (eliminates dust), then do the whole operation in the steam! Clean the screen, Blow off the screen, then apply. Took me about 5 min to clean, blow, apply.

4. Lehto

There are 256Gb SSD drives in 1.8" formfactor by a company called KingSpec. Their not as good as the Intel drives though as they use Jmicron controller and the quality of the NAND chips is a bit ?????

Heres a link to one on ebay. KingSpec 1.8" micro SATA 256GB SSD, X300,HP 2530p/2730p - eBay (item 370342502113 end time Aug-27-10 13:06:02 PDT)

5. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Yah, maybe your right...I suppose I should wait for what 1.8 SSD are/will be available. I also saw a 256 Samsung...I know the intel's are better, but who knows...I'm sure they will also have a 256, which would be just what I need. Then I would need to sell mine!

Thanks! What did you think about this video fro SD association, think our pcs will read um?

See min-3:21 to 3:48
    http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/videos

6. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

Intel G3 SSDs should come out on the x18 line in q1, so there are larger capacities coming down the line.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Lehto, How much did you pay for your X-18 on ebay? Capacity?

8. Lehto

160Gb Gen2 379$ shipped, it is an OEM model and came from HP Envy, had 50hours of use on it when I got it. IMO not a bad deal. You can get the Gen 1 models for about 330$.

I know some of you now wonder, whats the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 intel SSD's? The biggest difference is that Gen 2 supports TRIM and for ease of use its very good feature, its a sort of a garbage collector and it keeps the drive clean to keep it fast (put in a really simple way).

9. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

I assume this is the same drive HP stuck in mine...how does TRIM work, do you need to do anything? I can't find anything on it!

I have found a few speed-up, and reduce writes for SSD online, but no TRIM instructions (unless it auto?) Thanks

10. lolland

lolland Pen Pal - Newbie

It's automatic in Windows 7! You can download the Intel SSD Toolkit if you want to run it manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.