HP Elitebook 2740 ordering & shipping

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by lovelaptops, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.C.Anderson

R.C.Anderson Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe they use an Intel drive, as far as I know 160GB is the largest you can get, because it requires a 1.8" drive (whereas most SSDs are 2.5")

2. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

1. INTEL from my understanding. Read the post in this thread. X18...there's not much options for 1.8 SSD. I am probably going to buy the 80 GB from newegg when I get my laptop. From what I've read, intel is good for speed and quality.

I can't custom my laptop as I am from Canada so I'll be installing it myself

And make sure if you decide to go after market, get the 2nd generation from intel which should end with a product number of 201.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

You can also try CDW and Tech Depot. Others have reported excellent results with them. I don't know if they have stock, but it is worth a try. Good luck, with the coumputer, but especially with surgery. BTW, if you end up not loving the 2740, it should be easy to resell, since they are so hard to procure.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the responce!

I can only assume that the new 2740, would come with a "second generation" drive...:eek:

Hopefully I can get them to correct the order...without a delay!

5. pirate.bill

pirate.bill Pen Pal - Newbie

I received my 2740p Friday as had been promised and so far, so good. First, I haven't found any defects with my notebook - everything seems to be working fine. As I posted earlier I order on the 21st of May and received my order on June 11th. I ordered the preconfigured i5-540m with the slice battery and no additional hardware. Both arrived in separate boxes and had been directed shipped via FedEx from China.

A few things which I'm not sure others mentioned. The box with my notebook included a basic (very basic) instruction manual and other misc. paperwork, the AC adapter, a driver and software reinstall disk (which I believe, but haven't confirmed, includes Windows 7), an OEM OneNote 2007 disk, and Windows XP Tablet SP2 disk which I certainly hadn't expected.

When I first turned the computer on I have to admit that I was a little shocked by the quality of the screen. I had understood that the touchscreen module sits on top of the LCD screen which reduces some of the sharpness but I hadn't expected it to be quite so noticeable. My wife agreed that it was noticeable but suggested it might actually be a plus in that it reduces some of the edging glare from text and might make it easier to stare at the monitor for longer periods of time. After two days of use I have also become accustomed to the monitor and it no longer bothers me.

Overall I have found the design and quality of this computer to be outstanding. I think that it feels sturdy, is well thought-out, and has many subdued aesthetic touches which really add to the quality of the computer as a whole. I have already video conferenced with the webcam and the other party reported good video quality. This is my first tablet computer so I still have a lot to learn when it comes to the stylus but I think I can see how the tablet computer format will be helpful during medical school.

The one question I have for other 2740p and 2730p owners is which preinstalled programs can be safely removed without a loss of function? Do I really need, for example, HP's Remote Graphics Sender installed or Intel My WiFi if I am using HP's wifi management software?

6. remo26

remo26 Pen Pal - Newbie

To the i7 2740p owners, what kind of battery life are you getting with and without the slice?

7. R.C.Anderson

8. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm on the 2730p and I always do a clean install, then use HP's driver CD and only install the drivers.

Never the recommended or the optional software since they mostly add "fluff" and slows down the computer.

If you don't want a clean install, i suggest you use PC Decrapifier ( Welcome | The PC Decrapifier ).

By default, it only uninstalls useless trial software and generally-regarded-as-useless software.

It also has a nice option of letting you choose what to uninstall.

9. remo26

remo26 Pen Pal - Newbie

10. R.C.Anderson

My Bad :( I didn't see the i7 bit, just the "To the 2740p owners" part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.