HP Elitebook 2740 ordering & shipping

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by lovelaptops, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

How do you measure consumption in wattage? i will tell you that this kind of usage, with the wi-fi radio on the entire time, would probably get you 3.5-4.5 hrs, more toward the latter if the web surfing involves no more than a few browser windows open at the same time and and none have video rendering to do for much of the time

2. lovelaptops

Oh yes, I remember. Sorry. Working in Tysons, right? Still very curious why you will be, once you receive yours this week (yeah!), only the third person to post to this forum who will have received delivery of a 2740. As of now, it's just me and daytripper, one lemon and one, er, cherry! What is the deal here!

Please do PM me and we can exchange phone numbers and chat (the old fashioned way) when you get it! Mine, sigh, is shipping back to HP tomorrow; if your experience is excellent, may just try again.

Happen to love the TM2 (which is also going back to HP for a defect, but planning a replacement this time around), but really notice the slowness of its ULV cpu. 2740p is just a much better machine overall, though at twice the price. Plus, I am told by all the gamers that have the TM2's gpu combined with it's cpu provide truly excellent gaming experience, in case you are a gamer. I am not a gamer, and I can't understand how a low/mid range gpu + a high end ULV = awesome gaming experience, but that's what they say (you can check the thread if interested.)

Keep me posted.

Jeff

3. lovelaptops

There is quite a thread in the TM2 Lounge about this. Bottom line: it's at "rumor" stage, but apparently Endgadget considers it a hi reliability source. However, the ULV Core i cpus will be considerably slower than the SV Core i5s and 7s in the 2740 and only incrementally faster than the C2D ULVs they replace. The battery life of the current TM2, with the fastest C2D ULV cpu (talk about alphabet soup! ;) is around 5-7 hrs, depending on usage. That's not enough better to justify stepping down from the Core i5 SV in the 2740, which gets only 1.5-2 hrs less.

4. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

How much faster is LV compared to ULV. I had a 1.2ghz ULV C2D and it felt so sluggish.

You can't really compare battery life of TM2 with 2740p cause the TM2 has dedicated graphics card.

5. remo26

remo26 Pen Pal - Newbie

My comparison about the ULVs being introducted to the TM2 was just to understand HP's timetable and strategy. I don't think they will offer a ULV for the 2740p (nor would I suggest considering one). I meant that you could anticipate that shortly after they introduce the i3/i5 ULVs for the TM2, they will introduce the i7 LV for the 2740p. Keep in mind that there are no i3/i5 LV chips. So, I believe the i7 LV is clearly destined to come out on the 2740p (like the 2540p). This creates flagship image.

Regarding why I would stay away from the ULVs, I think the tradeoffs are too extreme. Of course, this depends on your use case, but after reading the reviews of the 2710p, I wouldn't want to cripple a primary machine. Besides the clock speed (1.? vs 2.1GHz in i7-640LM), the i7 LV has 4 MB L3 cache (more than even the i5 SV chip - flagship marketing) and higher turbo boosts (BTW, there is no TB in the i3s). However, the main reason I wouldn't go for the ULV is that the RAM is clocked down to 800MHz as opposed to 1066MHz in the LV and SV chips. This would have probably the largest effect on performance. That's why I think the i7 LV is the "sweet spot" config.

One other thing I didn't mention in the comments about the Intel SSDs, the main difference between G1 and G2 units is Win7 TRIM support. G1s don't have it. This has a huge effect on performance.

6. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, but do you know how fast an LV chip is in comparison to SV and ULV? ULV is way too slow and SV is really fast but with less battery life. I've never used a LV chip before so I'm wondering what type of performance it has.

7. MaDequipment

MaDequipment Pen Pal - Newbie

My 2730p (Intel SL9400 1.86Ghz - LV) can complete Wprime 32M in about 40 seconds. In comparison, my Lenovo T61p (Intel T9300 2.5 Ghz - SV) can complete Wprime 32M in about 31 seconds. The new i7 and i5 processors with SV show anywhere in the range of 15 - 22 seconds.

Now, in terms of daily computing for me, the difference between my two machines is negligible. I could easily be running 10-15 browser windows, several documents in Word 2010, maybe a spreadsheet in Excel, some music with Windows Media Player, and several documents in Adobe Reader and not experience a hiccup.

Tangible differences occur during processor-intensive tasks - like playing games, encoding video, or anything of the sort. Personally, I've never used a ULV-based machine, so I can't really offer my opinion on those processors.

In regards to battery life, my T61p which is older, gets 4.5 hours with Wi-Fi off and 4 with Wi-Fi on. My 2730p can get about 5 hours while taking notes with Wi-Fi off and drops to 4 with Wi-Fi on.

EDIT:

I should note that the T61p uses a 9-cell battery while the HP is using the built-in 6-cell only with no slice.

8. remo26

remo26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, this is what made the 2730p a success (i.e. dumping the ULV and going to LV). If it weren't for so many significant improvements (multitouch, matte finish, turbo chips, DDR3 RAM, Win7) in the 2740p, I would be buying a refurbished 2730p.

It's hard to compare. Take the i5-540M vs. the i7-640LM as an example. Clock speeds are 2.5 vs. 2.1GHz, but turbo boosts are comparable (3GHz). Now, who can say when TB is going to be kicking in? That depends on battery reserve and heat. Both of those would be economized in the i7, so one could think that the i7 could kick in TB more often (maybe yes, maybe no). Also, L3 for the i5 is 3MB and the i7 is 4MB. Again, this could be significant. Both are 1066 RAM. The one tradeoff of the i7 LV is that the GPU is about half of the i5. The effects would depend on graphic-intensive usage.

Note that there is an i7-640UM (ULV) listed in Intel's products. So, HP could put this in the 2740p as well for those who want "all day" computing. Again, the tradeoffs are extreme. It is 1.2GHz (at full TB 2GHz), 800MHz RAM, and 4MB L3. But, the GPU is down to about a quarter (166MHz) of the SV chip! This looks so much like the i5 ULV that I think it is just Intel doing tick-tock.

9. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Not to be a forum Nazi, but can we please keep this thread on topic? Thank you.

10. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.