HP Elitebook 2740 ordering & shipping

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by lovelaptops, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.C.Anderson

R.C.Anderson Pen Pal - Newbie

lovelaptops, Thank you for you opinion :) but I am getting the majority of it funded, as I am dyslexic, I get funding for a laptop or tablet, which means I get around £1,250 paid for me, and the main reason I want it, is for taking notes in lectures, as I have a PC that I will use for most coursework. Also, I am sponsored during my course, so finance is as much of a problem for me as it is for most students.

I will however be waiting, atleast for a while, to see how the rest of the models work out.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wow, that is great! (This more than makes up for being charged more in the EU for HP products!) Also, I realized after posting that that I hadn't noticed that you had ordered, ie, committed to that purchase, and as a rule it is not my practice to try to talk someone out of a purchase they have already made, so my apologies.

I did re-read the two reviews I spoke of on battery life (and overall performance) of the 2740p, here they are:

HP EliteBook 2740p Review - A Review of the HP EliteBook 2740p

HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC Review - ComputerShopper.com

Best of luck!

3. Ollec

Ollec Scribbler - Standard Member

My estimated shipping date has been set to May 10th!

4. R.C.Anderson

R.C.Anderson Pen Pal - Newbie

You actually was right the first time, I haven't ordered yet, I was wanting to, but it's not available to buy (no pre-order available direct from HP in the UK)

I never actually got round to ringing them, but I e-mailed them today from their website, as I noticed it would cost me quite a bit to call them, as I can only call them with a mobile from uni.

I'm going to have a look through those reviews later this evening/tomorrow (wish I could do it now, but I've got to finish some programming coursework to be uploaded by about midnight tonight :eek: )

5. Ollec

Ollec Scribbler - Standard Member

If you come up with a list of questions you'd like answered, I wouldn't mind calling and attempting to get some answers out of them for you. ^_^

I'll start off with a "I'm heading off to college in the UK and wanted to know if I'd be able to buy a laptop and have it shipped, there. Would you be able to transfer me to whomever deals with UK orders?" and see where it goes from there.

6. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey I'm in the UK as well and I know those 0800 numbers are such a pain in the butt. There's a website call saynoto0870.com that SHOULD get you a non 08 number to HP. I found a couple. Hope that'll help you.

7. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

You definitely paid to much for European standard (student rates).
    Please check this German homepage
    Uni-Notebooks-de-Notebooks-fuer-Studenten-de-Lenovo-Notebooks-Fujtsu-Notebooks-Toshiba-Notebooks
    (for students and edu facilities only) out and you'll see even the x201t is a better deal with the 2740p only costing 1399 €...

8. Cristi

Cristi Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone answer this question? I ordered mine with a 160gb SSD and now I'm worried I won't get a 2nd generation model!

9. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

For the 10w drop in TDP, i5's being 35w and i7-640LM being 25w, I think it's worth the wait. For the sake of increased battery life and less heat.

Depends. You can limit the system restore storage and uninstall a few items you don't need. I'm running a 30GB Vertex SSD on a Tx2500. Full office installed (onenote, word, publisher, excel), Firefox, financial software(~1Gb), 3GB max system restore size, ArtRage, adobe acrobat, various other software that takes up ~ 1GB, and I have 10.4GB remaining. I used to use a 4GB SD card for data/misc storage when I had Vista on the TX2500. So 80GB should do you plenty. Rule of thumb with SSD's, best to stay above 25% free space.

On my HDX 9300, I have a 120GB SSD and it's too large for my needs. I have about 95GB remaining with a wealth of software loaded. Though the HDX has a 2nd HDD bay that I installed a 320GB 7200 RPM HDD to store recorded TV, games, etc.

10. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

The question is how long is it going to take for the 2740p to get the i7-640LM treatment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.