HP Elitebook 2740 ordering & shipping

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by lovelaptops, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm actually really interested in the LV processors. Does anyone have an idea when they will arrive? I'd expect that it won't be a preconfigured unit.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

If it means a great deal to you, I imagine I could sell you mine. I have not yet shipped my 2740 back but got separate RMA's and separate shipping labels for the computer and the slice, as the latter came much earlier and is to be shipped back in its original box. I imagine I can tell HP I want to keep the battery and just get credit for the computer, and send you the slice. Do you have a paypal account? I have no eBay or NBR sales cred, and I don't know you, but hey, you got MY computer (I think mine was supposed to be rejected in Quality Control and the next one that was shipped seems to be yours, and it's perfect! - you do realize this is just a joke, right?)

In any event, if you have MY 2740 then you may as well have the slice that was meant to go with it. I'm not sure what you do warranty-wise if it is defective (I never even put it on the computer) but I am pretty sure HP transfers warranties automatically, it stays with the product, not the owner.

If this is to complicated or risky for you, forget it. I am certainly not getting anything out of it (sell it to you at cost, of course), but the good feeling of helping someone out. I'll get a plenty good feeling sending it back to HP and getting all my money refunded too ;)

Let me know - I'm going to ship them back tomorrow (Fri) or Sat.

Oh, forgot to ask, what country are you in? Not US would make this pretty much impossible to do. I'm in Northern Virginia , near DC.

3. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks,
    I'm from europe and just odered my 2740p. Its a preconfig with only 2GB of RAM, 160GB HDD and WWAN for 1690€ with studentdiscount. HP calc the prices euro equals dollar. Anyway I want it, cause there is only one alternativ the very expensive x201t witch isn't avaiable at the moment.

The reason why I'm posting here is. I'd like to know whats about the endurance of my 2740p with longlife 39Wh. Usually a CPU like i5 with 35TDP needs more than 10W, need it?
    Cheers
    organic

4. organic

organic Pen Pal - Newbie

5. daytripper

daytripper Road Warrior

lovelaptops: I sent you a private message

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wow, they really do hose you in the EU, don't they? In the US, you can by that computer, with 4GB RAM and a 250GB HDD and the Core i5-540 cpu for $1,699. With the Euro currently plummeted to about $1.30, that means you are paying 30% more for a machine worth about 15% less!

That said, try to get the other battery, the non-long life, if endurance is important to you. The long life will save you money over time, and it will recharge more quickly than the standard battery, but the standard battery is a somewhat higher capacity one (I think, like 45Wh). I personally got a bad unit so my 2740 experience should be taken with sketicism, but I only got about 3 hrs with wifi on and lots of browser windows and productivity software, but nothing heavy duty, no video, no games, etc. I have read professional reviews from latopmag.com and computershopper.com showing ranges from 2.5 hrs on all video to some 4 hrs. on power saving use. I believe those were all done with the standard capacity battery, but you can check them out.

Finallly, I don't know what your budget, uses or what, but if price differences are comparable, you might want to look into the HP TM2. True, it is the consumer-level product and is not likely as durable as the 2740, plus it has one major weakness by comparison: the best cpu it has is a low voltage 1.6 ghz Intel SU9600 (or SU7300 which, for $200 less, gets nearly identical benchmark scores). Again, it depends on your uses and, frankly, your patience, but I find the LV cpu is up to any task i throw at it, you just need to allocate a few more nanoseconds or actual seconds of time. The upside of this cpu is battery life of 5-7 hours. Add a second battery, for $60 US, and we're talking more than 1 day's worth of endurance.

I would say that the TM2 might be more defect-prone or buggy than the 2740, but then I personally had such a bad experience with my 2740 that I sent it back and decided to stick with the TM2, which is serving my needs quite nicely now. For me, with many discount coupons and other price incentives, my base TM2 cost me $750 vs. $1,700 for the 2740. You can't buy the TM2 that cheaply in the US now, and again, the pricing they charge in Europe is positively weird and incomprehensible to me, so you'll have to check for yourself. One thing to consider: her in the US, when you call HP to order a product, you can usually get $100-$250 off just by asking somewhat aggressively. Many people here don't know that, so it may be similar in the EU, but you guys are so much more genteel than we are anyway!

Bottom line on your question: I would go for the std. life battery if endurance is a concern, expect 3-4.5 hrs depending on your usage and settings, and know that you can buy the "slice" battery that is very thin and covers the entire bottom of the computer and roughly doubles the capacity. In the US the slice battery costs $180.

Good luck. Feel free to ask for more specifics.

7. remo26

remo26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is a comparison Compare Intel® Products of the 4 main CPUs that are (or will be available for the 2740p). As I wrote previously, the next preconfig. for the 2740p will probably be with the i7-640LM (LV chip). This is how HP rolled out its sister notebook (2540p). Also, in the forums there is a thread on the 2540p where people on converging on the i7-640LM being the best choice. I tend to agree that for most business users who want a tablet, this config. of the 2740p will be the best of all options. The only issue is for graphic-intensive applications, but the reviews of this chip in other units say that graphics are being handled pretty well. So, you would have to have some pretty intensive use cases to see a difference.

8. llg4165

llg4165 Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you know your if this one 2740 in some available web page?
    thanks

9. remo26

remo26 Pen Pal - Newbie

The i7-640LM is not currently available for the 2740p, but I would suggest if this interests you that you consider waiting until September to see if it comes out.

Judging by the pricing on the 2540p page, an i7 upgrade should cost the same for the SV and LV chips ($100). It's odd that the 160GB SSD upgrade is $425 on the 2540p and $375 on the 2740p (same SSD and slot).

Does anyone know how much space Win7 prof. 64-bit takes up in storage? I would rather go with the 80GB SSD to avoid the "bleeding-edge surcharge" for the 160GB, but I am worried how much usable storage I will be left with.

10. remo26

remo26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, I am concerned whether these are 2nd generation SSDs of the Intel X18-M. The 2nd gen. models have big performance improvements. I have read stories of people buying laptops recently who have discovered that they were sold 1st generation units. I doubt that the HP reps. could answer this question with any certainty.

Ollec, can you somehow check when you get your unit whether it is indeed 2nd gen? BTW, I am not even sure how you would check, but I assume there must be some difference in the part #.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.