HP Elite x2 1013 G3 2-in-1 Tablet PC 2018 Edition.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by alextrela182, May 14, 2018.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the i5 is a good choice. The performance looks very stable in the review. If your config also has 16GB of RAM it may run warmer than their config, but it shouldn't be so much as to overwhelm the cooling system.

I think HP automatically removes a configuration option if the lead time is over 30 days. Both Lenovo and Dell are showing 2+ weeks lead time on their i7 configurations as well. Hopefully Intel can get caught up with demand by summer.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I would like to ask a question again, because no one has answered me yet after several tries:

What_is_the_big_deal_about_i7(8th gen-U)-cpus? I'm frankly too lazy - and disgusted - to find and post the countless quotes in professional measured reviews, constantly in notebookcheck.net, virtually everywhere that performance is measured and compared, showing categorically that the difference in performance between these i5s and i7s is *immaterial* and of benefit for maybe 3% of use cases and a waste of $200-$300 material battery life and not infrequent high heat/fan/throttling (thereby eliminating the *theoretical* performance gains for 97%+ of use cases.

What gives?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

7>5 on the number scale?

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

@lovelaptops - The i7 vs i5 minor differences haven't mattered for a very long time, if ever. Bang for buck has always gone to the one-step-down CPU, even back in the late '90s & early '00s when I built my own PCs.

But with prebuilt laptops sometimes you have to get the i7 in order to have the other high-end options, such as 4K or OLED screen. They do that purposefully, of course. What can ya do? :rolleyes:

lovelaptops and dstrauss like this.
  5. lovelaptops

Absolutely, agree with you on both counts. It is just a "tax," for people who clearly are willing to pay to access other "luxuries." Though it is often mandatory to pay for an i7 to get 16GB RAM, as if there was any technical need for that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  6. lovelaptops

But 7 craps out on the first roll, 5 is usually a safe roll on the table. (If you're going to get all numeralogical on me :D!)

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, since I can't get the new Galaxy Book2 with i5U, 16gb and at least 512gb, Elite X2 is just going to have to do for now.

8. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

The deal is that Intel marketing monkeys decided that to obscure the facts that 1) their 10nm tech was a couple years behind schedule and 2) their chips had a serious vulnerability to the Spectre family of attacks, they would just confuse the hell out of everybody with their nomenclature. What they refer to as their "8th generation" U chips are of two general types: Kaby R and Whiskey Lake.

I know your question was about the i5-i7 comparison, but part of that comparison has to do with the following:

It's a copy-and-paste meme among reviewers that the difference in performance between the Kaby-R 8550U and the Whiskey Lake 8565U is trivial and not worth the extra money. What they never mention, and probably are not even aware of, is the fact that Whiskey Lake has hardware-level mitigation for the Spectre attacks. The Whiskey Lake improvements might have resulted in a more significant boost in performance if not for the fact that their hardware-level Spectre mitigation caused a reduction in performance. The Kaby R chips have to make do with firmware mitigation, which supposedly causes an even greater reduction in performance.

When comparing the performance of Kaby-R and Whiskey Lake chips, reviewers almost never take into account whether the Kaby-R chip has had the firmware update for the Spectre mitigation. Notebookcheck did a review once in which they pointed out this problem, but then never followed up to see whether the review unit in question did or did not have the firmware update. A Kaby-R that has NOT had the firmware update may well outperform a Whiskey!

Intel's marketing-monkey brethren at the companies that design and sell computers are grateful for Intel's scheme for confusing consumers. Their ads only say 8th GENERATION!, as if it were that simple. It allows them to clear out their stock of computers with Kaby-R, or even to design new computers with Kaby-R chips from their parts bin, and give them to reviewers, who themselves barely know the difference between Kaby-R and Whiskey. If these review units make it through the review without getting an automatic Spectre update, they may get a glowing report, only to get significantly gimped later on.

It must also be remembered that both Kaby-R U and Whiskey Lake U chips have configurable TDPs, and neither the vendors nor 99% of the reviewers ever say a word about whether the default 15W setting has been changed.

When comparing the i5 with the i7, you have introduced another variable that makes the problem accordingly more complex.

It appears that either the hackers have still not figured out how to launch a Spectre attack or the firm- and hardware mitigations have been successful. I myself would not get anything new without hardware-level mitigation.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    dceggert and dstrauss like this.
  9. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to admit when HP updated the 1013 Quick specs and removed the anti glare note on the sure view display it was gutting in a sense.

If I was looking at an X2 1013 G3, I'd definitely look at the sure view panel equipped version. It is simply better in many ways; it's faster, less power hungry, brighter, and it should drive more colours. The only downside is that it likely uses PWM to control brightness.

If you are like me though, I'm horribly sensitive to PWM, even high speed pwm.

What I really don't like about the 1013 is the welded on wifi card, the lack of a USB-A slot and the lack of micro-sd card. I'm still scratching my head over those.

I could live without the USB-A but I use microsd/sd as a short term back up solution when I'm not docked or near a stable wireless connection. If the drive goes and my files haven't synced for several hours externally, I could permanently lose work and/or creative ideas. I've suffered that and it's horrible.

I sort of feel like the Elite x2 G3 had these choices made to lessen the cross over with the Zbook x2 G4.

10. xxxxx

xxxxx Pen Pal - Newbie

the HP X2 1013G3 has simultaneous touch/stylus input with art docks (works with SlatePal, ArtDock, Chomp toolbar, etc...) !
    settings below :

Code:
    #Profile:HP Elite x2 1013 G3 (default)
        FirstByte=0x0c
       RawDataSize=40
       MaxX=0x2A94
       MaxY=0x1C60
       TouchIdMask=11111111
       TouchIdMinimum=0
       OffsetTouchId=1
       OffsetStat=3
       OffsetX=6
       OffsetY=8

RID_UsagePage = 0x0d   ;Digitizers
    RID_Usage = 0x04   ;Touch Screen
    the pen is AES 2.0 with tilt sensitivy. it has slight wobble on slow lines but it's nice overall.