HP Elite x2 1013 G3 2-in-1 Tablet PC 2018 Edition.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by alextrela182, May 14, 2018.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the i5 is a good choice. The performance looks very stable in the review. If your config also has 16GB of RAM it may run warmer than their config, but it shouldn't be so much as to overwhelm the cooling system.

I think HP automatically removes a configuration option if the lead time is over 30 days. Both Lenovo and Dell are showing 2+ weeks lead time on their i7 configurations as well. Hopefully Intel can get caught up with demand by summer.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I would like to ask a question again, because no one has answered me yet after several tries:

What_is_the_big_deal_about_i7(8th gen-U)-cpus? I'm frankly too lazy - and disgusted - to find and post the countless quotes in professional measured reviews, constantly in notebookcheck.net, virtually everywhere that performance is measured and compared, showing categorically that the difference in performance between these i5s and i7s is *immaterial* and of benefit for maybe 3% of use cases and a waste of $200-$300 material battery life and not infrequent high heat/fan/throttling (thereby eliminating the *theoretical* performance gains for 97%+ of use cases.

What gives?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

7>5 on the number scale?

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@lovelaptops - The i7 vs i5 minor differences haven't mattered for a very long time, if ever. Bang for buck has always gone to the one-step-down CPU, even back in the late '90s & early '00s when I built my own PCs.

But with prebuilt laptops sometimes you have to get the i7 in order to have the other high-end options, such as 4K or OLED screen. They do that purposefully, of course. What can ya do? :rolleyes:

lovelaptops and dstrauss like this.
  5. lovelaptops

Absolutely, agree with you on both counts. It is just a "tax," for people who clearly are willing to pay to access other "luxuries." Though it is often mandatory to pay for an i7 to get 16GB RAM, as if there was any technical need for that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  6. lovelaptops

But 7 craps out on the first roll, 5 is usually a safe roll on the table. (If you're going to get all numeralogical on me :D!)

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, since I can't get the new Galaxy Book2 with i5U, 16gb and at least 512gb, Elite X2 is just going to have to do for now.