HP Elite x2 1013 G3 2-in-1 Tablet PC 2018 Edition.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by alextrela182, May 14, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@dstrauss, I truly believe your single device solution will come to fruition in 2019 minus, possibly, EMR w/pen en silo. The Elite x2 G3 may come the closest now and, unless you think you can hobble along with the GB12 for 3-6 mos, it might be your best bet. The advantage of it as I see it is that it has the promise of bringing all of your required features right now, a greater likelihood of no HP "beta syndrome and a good deal of power and versatility in a reasonably compact form factor. My greatest concern over your ordering one is: can you return a CTO model if it doesn't suit? The info I've seen on that is ambiguous, particularly with a SMB product.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think HP, like Best Buy before them, is sick of my complaints and returns. Surely everything can't be "crap" but always turns out that way. Surprisingly I still really like the Folio - it just fries me to have instability with graphics and TB3 - price of bleeding edge I guess.

3. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

It isn't surprising that you would like the Folio. It is a very special device, even if it isn't the perfect single device.

4. dstrauss

So how did the clean install go, and more importantly, why do a clean install? I'm working a "trade" with HP - my 4k Folio for an Elite X2.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I just had an instructive experience when my SB went flaky on my last Sunday and after trying many different ways to use security/update tools to fix it and finally decided to do a clean install. It had been a couple of years since I had reason/need to do one and, let me tell you, it cures so many ills that accumulate over time and causes everything to run so smoothly. I kinda think that will apply to a newly delivered device as well because of the many last-minute driver updates that even a new one may have been haphazardly piled into the latest shipment load. Of course, the very meaning of clean install may be subjective in that once you've added just one or two new drivers it's no longer "clean." Still, an underrated technique for getting you back to ground zero. I can't remember the last time any computer ran so smoothly for me.

Changing subjects, I wish you good luck if you do decide to go with the Elite X2. And yes, we are interested in hearing how things go. Rather than lampooning yourself about your struggle for success why not just see it as a continuum and know that we all learn from your experiences. Keep fighting the good fight!

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

lways turns out that way. Surprisingly I still really like the Folio - it just fries me to have instability with graphics and TB3 - price of bleeding edge I guess.[/QUOTE]

Well, that is because you seem to be perpetually trying all the new stuff the minute it is out of the gate. Sort of like a toddler that is perpetually cutting teeth!

Well, I personally like the X2 configuration better except for the kickstand. It is also an 'Elite' model. If the G3 is like my G1 in terms of durability and serviceability then you will be pleased (hopefully).

The 13" size keeps me away from the G3 however. I like my 12" better and even wish HP would stuff the same specs in a 10". Oh well, year 3 or 4 for me now and no end in sight!

7. dstrauss

Don't think it is a toddler metaphor - more like the frustration of trying to learn your multiplication tables the first time.

13" was the one turn off about the Folio design - when you added bezels and leather it was pretty big. I REALLY love the form factor of my Galaxy Book 12, but it needs that kickstand from the new GB2 - if I could just get the GB2 and swap guts...

8. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

I’d tell you to just buy my G2 I have for sale, given it has TB3 and LTE, but I don’t see you ever settling for an i5 with 8gb of ram. ;)

9. dstrauss

Thanks master, but while the force is telling me to be patient, fear of not having the newest/best new toy is leading me to the dark side...

[​IMG]

The reality is that I don't have the urge to get the Elite X2 that I thought I would have. It looks like it ticks most, if not all, of the boxes, but that Folio form factor has imprinted on my DNA as I have now seen the lappability future sans the generic kickstand design.

10. dstrauss

Well, some great suggestions over in the Folio 13 thread - showing both HP docks are listed as compatible with the G3 (HP Spectre Folio), and the potential for the i5 to even exceed the i7 (HP Spectre Folio) - together with an incredibly nice discount from HP for my problems with the Folio ($600 off), have led to ordering the Elite X2 1013:

i5-8350U (1.7 GHz, 6MB cache)
    13" diagonal IPS LED 3k2k (3000 x 2000)
    1 TB M.2 PCIe NVMe TLC SSD
    Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X12 LTE-Advanced Broadband Wireless

They even threw in a 3 year parts and labor warranty...I have to say that after all the problems I had with tech and sales support at first, the escalation program manager and sales supervisor came through with a bargain even I couldn't pass up.

PS - the i7 is nowhere to be found, and they wouldn't even consider a back order - either they were clearing out the parts bin with their offer, or they really haven't had the i7 for over 30 days...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019