HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes the Surface Dock does allow for 2 x 4k monitors. Refer to this chart for supported monitor configurations on the Surface - https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...display-or-projector?os=windows-10&=undefined

Great review by @tonysunshine ! I have been watching this one and anxious to hear how people are doing with it. How is the battery life?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. tonysunshine

tonysunshine Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah the surface dock can drive 2 monitors. My situation is a bit unique though in that my work horse laptop is a lenovo p50, and the wife has a dell xps 13, so ideally I would have a docking solution that supports all 3, hence the need for thunderbolt 3. I was using a usb 3.0 anker dock originally, but the connectivity was inconsistent and it would take the laptops good amount of time to dock and recognize all the peripherals each time. Thunderbolt 3 is a lot more elegant and functional in terms of hot plugging. Also I need firewire support while on the road due to the live sound/studio tracking work I do, and the only way to get firewire on a PC is through thunderbolt 2 or 3.

I'll give an update on the battery life in a day or two, I haven't been able to use the Elite X2 G2 that much.
    Is there a particular battery drain test people would like me to do?
    Anything else to test?

3. jhax01

jhax01 Pen Pal - Newbie

It's an M.2 WLAN slot just like the first gen. Comes apart very easily -- take out the screws under the kickstand and use a suction cup to separate the screen from the body. Just be careful of the ribbon cables, but otherwise, simple...

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@jhax01 thank you very much for your answer; it is critical for me to be able to install WiGiG.

jhax01 likes this.
  5. gmtom1

gmtom1 Pen Pal - Newbie

My x2 is arriving next week on the 31st. I'm a little disappointed that HP took longer to ship it than the original estimate, and it's coming from China via slow UPS shipping, despite paying for expedited. I ordered a i5-7200U, 256GB without the pen (going to use a Bamboo ink instead) and included 4G LTE.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

How usable is 1012 G2 on the lap?

7. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

It's apparently okay for tech companies to muck about with delivery times and release dates.

I can't believe there is still close to nothing for reviews about this thing on the web, but I do understand why: it's next to impossible to get one.

The three major national stores in the Netherlands are just not getting it, with no communication from HP whatsoever on when stock will come in.

Meanwhile all I can do is deal with lightbleeding Surface Pros... -_-

8. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

Also an undecided buyer here ...

I am mostly waiting for a professional review and a good take on battery runtimes. Also always liked HP for my notebooks.

Actually i nearly overlooked the X2 G2 in my search and was initially pondering Acer Switch 5, Lenovo Miix 720, Asus Transformer Pro 4 and if MS either nSP or going cheap and getting a SP4.

Already ditched Acer and Lenovo. My 'cheap' options would be the Asus or the SP4 (they seem pretty comparable albeit the Asus having newer hardware), the nSP or the HP X2 G2 are now my more expensive option.
    Although HP might be slightly cheaper, 1400 ish vs 1500 ish for a comparable nSP.
    Technically the X2 spectre would be an option too, but not available in germany it seems.

I do like HPs hinge design better, and supposedly its a little less wobbly than the SP when open at max. Pen input is important ish, although it seems for note taking pretty much most are ok. And HP comes with LTE. Not a must have, but potentially neat.

Coming from an SP2 (i5, 8gb) pretty much anything mentioned would be an upgrade though :)
    It actually works still fine. But since the SP3 came out i yearned for its form factor .. ^^

My real question to users who already dabbled with the X2 G2 (or nSP), for somebody coming from a few generations back, are these 2 worth the extra 400-500 over a SP4 or the Asus pro 4 (both just above 1k here) ?

9. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

If you dont mind ordering online from german stores (which shouldnt be a problem from NL i guess) ... they seem to be available there

10. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

So close, but yet so far away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk