HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. PrerunnerSeth

PrerunnerSeth Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered one of these too. i5 7200u, 16gb, 360gb, LTE. Been looking for a Tablet with LTE for a while as we are completely locked out of doing anything on your desktop PCs at work now. Got tired of waiting for the Surface pro LTE. Hope the HP doesn't disappoint it was a lot of money.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.
  2. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

As a point of reference, I am getting about 8-9 hours on nSP with Power Mode on far left setting, which I believe is brightness set at 50%. I find the nSP display is fine at 50%, even when I'm not necessarily trying to save battery.

3. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I returned my first model and purchased an I7, 16GB, 1TB with LTE. This one has terrible light bleed. So bad that I can't watch movies or videos with a black screen. Have to decide whether to return or have HP fix. After using for a few days the battery life is getting slightly better. I still can't use this display at 50% as others can. I usually have it at 100% and understand that battery life won't be as good. I have had several freezes and keyboard locking up. Hope that is a driver update from HP. Very frustrating. Speakers are probably the worst out of the main 2 in 1's. Just not loud at all. Camera and mic's are excellent. Probably the perfect laptop for Skype or Web Chats. Still don't like that the LTE SIM slot takes a Micro and not the current Nano SIM. I also ordered the 90W Thunderbolt dock and could not get it to work with my Dell 2K monitor with Display Port cable. HP could not get it to work either. I returned that dock and am waiting for the regular USB-C Dock to see if that will work. Bummed about that. My Surface Dock always worked perfectly with any monitor.

I am happy with the keyboard typing experience. Not as good as the Lenovo X1 Tablet but better than the SP4. Much stiffer which prevents the cursor from moving around with all of the bouncing. The pen is very average. The tips are way too big. They are all the same in the box. No different sizes. Might have to try the Bamboo Stylus if I keep this laptop. I don't like the fact that it only has one USB-C/Thunderbolt port. This will cause problems when I need to do long PPTX presentations without having the option to plug in to a power source. I will provide some more feedback after I get the USB-C Dock on Monday.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. gmtom1

gmtom1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just checked the HP site again, and it looks like they are adjusting the pricing and specs available on the customized model. You can no longer select Win 10 Home as an option with > 4GB RAM. The price also decreased by about $8 in total if I re-configure my exact same order again.

There's more dock accessories available now too, including a "Elite USB-C Dock G3"

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@Techgeek32 did you order it with WiGiG, or without? How's the touchpad? Is the display bright enough in direct sunlight?

6. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

Would also love to hear what the fan noise is like, if any.

I can't believe there's still no reviews available for this machine.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  7. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Did someone open their Elite X2 1012 G2? Is WLAN module soldered or slotted?

8. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

Can somebody review it? Which is the response time of the display, how much he battery lasts, how bright is the screen, how the wireless behaves, lte is fast?

9. PaulLok

PaulLok Pen Pal - Newbie

10. tonysunshine

tonysunshine Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my elite x2 g2 for about 24 hours. Coming from a surface pro 3. Here are some brief impressions
    Core i5 7300U with 16GB of ram. 256GB Turbo Drive G2 SSD.

Pros
    - Keyboard is great. Feels like a macbook air keyboard. A little noisy but the tactile feel is really good. I type a lot more accurately on it compared to the SP3
    - Speed. This thing is plenty fast. I haven't done any system intensive work on it, but MS office, 10+ chrome tabs, spotify, and youtube all going at once with no issues
    - screen brightness is sufficient. The darkest setting in onenote with white BG looks excellent. Highest brightness works pretty well outdoors in direct sunlight
    - touch screen is very responsive, pen input latency is noticeably better than the SP3
    - thunderbolt 3 port works well with my OWC thunderbolt 3 dock. Drivers installed automatically and I'm able to drive two 2K monitors(via TB3 splitter) + 4 USB peripherals + ethernet + SPDIF out to my DAC with no issues and no slow down on the G2. The dock also charges the G2, though not as fast as the included wall charger

Cons
    - Pen feels light and cheap. It doesn't magnetically dock to the tablet, which is super annoying. I often am using the pen as a mouse pointer, and on my SP3 I would dock it magnetically to the side of the tablet if I needed to type with 2 hands. Now I have to set it on the table and make sure it doesn't roll. Also the pen tips are all firm/hard tips, and I don't like the feel of writing on the screen. I think I got used to the soft/high friction tip on the SP4 pen, which feels a lot more like writing on paper. I might try out a bamboo ink with some softer tips. Also no eraser on the back tip, but from what I can tell only the surface pens have this feature and no other wacom AES pens do.
    - Fans are really loud when spinning at full RPM, though this has only happened to me once(when I first attached the keyboard, tablet started updating the keyboard firmware and the fans spun up really loud). Under normal workload(as described above) the fans come on sometimes and are fairly quiet though still noticeable. Leaps and abounds quieter than the SP3 though
    - the keyboard can't be docked "backwards." The magnets seem to be coded to the pogo pins only line up one way. I put this as a con because on my SP3 I like to dock the keyboards on backwards and fold it behind the tablet when using it as a notepad for writing. I don't like bending the keyboard 180 deg to achieve this
    - This is just my preference. But the pen loop on the keyboard is on the left side and I write with my right hand, so its kind of inconvenient to store the pen. No way to move the pen loop(its not a stick on like the SP3, its stitched into the keyboard.
    - lots of HP and MS bloatware. spent a good hour clearing that stuff.
    - Speakers are meh. I wasn't expecting much. They work in a pinch and get loud enough for maybe 3 or 4 people huddle around the tablet. But they are tinny sounding.

What I really wanted was a Surface Pro 2017 with thunderbolt connectivity. With my SP3, 80% I was using it with the pen and writing in onenote. Because the pen isn't so great on the G2 I'm a bit torn as to whether or not to keep it. The other 2in1 I was looking at was the Dell Latitude 7285, but a bit concerned about battery life since the battery is really small in that one. But maybe the Core Y processor will offset the small battery?

kvoram and Starlight5 like this.
  11. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a bunch for that write up! I couldn't get my hands on this machine for a few weeks still, so instead I'm going to give the nSP another chance.

Also, and pardon my ignorance, but doesn't the Surface Dock allow for the connection of 2 4k monitors just like Thunderbolt?