HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. PrerunnerSeth

PrerunnerSeth Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered one of these too. i5 7200u, 16gb, 360gb, LTE. Been looking for a Tablet with LTE for a while as we are completely locked out of doing anything on your desktop PCs at work now. Got tired of waiting for the Surface pro LTE. Hope the HP doesn't disappoint it was a lot of money.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I returned my first model and purchased an I7, 16GB, 1TB with LTE. This one has terrible light bleed. So bad that I can't watch movies or videos with a black screen. Have to decide whether to return or have HP fix. After using for a few days the battery life is getting slightly better. I still can't use this display at 50% as others can. I usually have it at 100% and understand that battery life won't be as good. I have had several freezes and keyboard locking up. Hope that is a driver update from HP. Very frustrating. Speakers are probably the worst out of the main 2 in 1's. Just not loud at all. Camera and mic's are excellent. Probably the perfect laptop for Skype or Web Chats. Still don't like that the LTE SIM slot takes a Micro and not the current Nano SIM. I also ordered the 90W Thunderbolt dock and could not get it to work with my Dell 2K monitor with Display Port cable. HP could not get it to work either. I returned that dock and am waiting for the regular USB-C Dock to see if that will work. Bummed about that. My Surface Dock always worked perfectly with any monitor.

I am happy with the keyboard typing experience. Not as good as the Lenovo X1 Tablet but better than the SP4. Much stiffer which prevents the cursor from moving around with all of the bouncing. The pen is very average. The tips are way too big. They are all the same in the box. No different sizes. Might have to try the Bamboo Stylus if I keep this laptop. I don't like the fact that it only has one USB-C/Thunderbolt port. This will cause problems when I need to do long PPTX presentations without having the option to plug in to a power source. I will provide some more feedback after I get the USB-C Dock on Monday.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. gmtom1

gmtom1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just checked the HP site again, and it looks like they are adjusting the pricing and specs available on the customized model. You can no longer select Win 10 Home as an option with > 4GB RAM. The price also decreased by about $8 in total if I re-configure my exact same order again.

There's more dock accessories available now too, including a "Elite USB-C Dock G3"

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@Techgeek32 did you order it with WiGiG, or without? How's the touchpad? Is the display bright enough in direct sunlight?

5. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

Would also love to hear what the fan noise is like, if any.

I can't believe there's still no reviews available for this machine.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 2:44 AM
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Did someone open their Elite X2 1012 G2? Is WLAN module soldered or slotted?

7. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

Can somebody review it? Which is the response time of the display, how much he battery lasts, how bright is the screen, how the wireless behaves, lte is fast?