HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks to GTrusted some information on the Elite x2 1012 G2 with another eGPU dock, the PowerColor Devil Box, which also charges the Elite:

The PowerColor Devil Box combined with a 8GB Radon RX480 does of course improve graphics performance very well:

Rise of the Tomb Raider's DX12 benchmark on an external 4K display:
    • 2.58 fps with Elite x2 1012 G2 HD620 graphics
    • 32.56 fps with Devil Box and 8GB Radeon RX480

Regarding USB Power Delivery:
    "The TUL-PowerColor Devil Box not only boosts graphics performance but also able to provide USB Power Delivery charging for the HP Elite x2 1012 G2 while connected over Thunderbolt 3.

From the USB Power Delivery negotiations, we can see that the TUL-PowerColor Devil Box offers 15 watts (5 volts @ 3 amps), 36 watts (12 volts @ 3 amps), and 60 watts (20 volts @ 3 amps) to the HP Elite x2 1012 G2. The tablet in turn requests to pull 36 watts (12 volts @ 3 amps) which the TUL-PowerColor Devil Box accepts."

Source: https://gtrusted.com/upgrade-the-gr...2-and-more-using-the-tul-powercolor-devil-box

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  2. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

I found the i7/16 GB RAM/360 GB SSD here in the Netherlands.

Now, €1839 (without taxes) is a lot of money, but the comparable Surface Pro specced machine comes in at around €2k WITHOUT keyboard and pen.

Kind of a no-brainer if this is correct.

3. tonysunshine

tonysunshine Pen Pal - Newbie

4. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

HP Elite x2 G2 or Dell Latitude 7285 ?
    Which is better?

5. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just received my G2. i5, 8GB, 256GB and 4G LTE. Build quality seems good except that when I first pulled it out of the box the screen was separated from the bezel on the top edge of the tablet. Looks to be missing adhesive. I will be returning this one for sure. Verizon 4G LTE works fine. One gripe is that it doesn't accept a nano-SIM which is the current size that every carrier uses. Fortunately I had a SIM card tray holder with the next size up that allowed me to use it. Come on HP, you can do better than that. The keyboard is excellent, not quite as good as the Lenovo X1 Tablet but I like it better than my SP4 type cover. The display is fantastic! Just as bright as my SP4, same resolution and the blacks are much blacker. Looks almost like AMOLED even though it is IPS. Fan is quiet and the WiFi card is fast. Inking is fine for note taking. Probably not as good as the new Surface Pro Pen but on par with the SP4. Since I have to return this unit I will probably step up and get the i7, 16GB, 1TB, 4G LTE since I believe this will be a great tablet for a few years to come. If Microsoft had released an LTE version I might have bit on that but I like have Thunderbolt port and USB-C charging instead of the wonky Microsoft connector.

My initial thoughts are that this is a great tablet. I will be making this my daily use laptop. Speakers are not very loud but sound good. That is my main CON with this system. Battery life is slightly better than the SP4 but probably worse than the Surface Pro. I am getting about 4 hours on 100% screen brightness. I forgot one more CON. Only one USB-C port. That hurts when you need to connect to a projector for a presentation but have no way to power your computer. I will provide some added thoughts when I receive my new system.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    kvoram likes this.
  6. muneebrocks

muneebrocks Pen Pal - Newbie

please expand more on the battery life if you can
    try with suggested brightness and regular web browsing
    and video loop test

4 hours is horrible thats how much my sp3 gets

7. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have some more usage tests. On 75% brightness using email, office documents and web browsing I am getting about 5 1/2 hours. Not great. This display gets bright but needs to be at 100% for me. There is a huge jump between 75% and 100%. The Surface Pro 4 has a much better graduation of brightness than this display. At 100% brightness the most I can get is 4 hours and 10 minutes. I am sure if you can accept the brightness level at 50% you could get 6 1/2 to 7 hours. I have not tried the new Surface Pro but expect it to have better battery life. I think it has a larger battery though. I can definitely say that the X2 has better battery life than the Lenovo X1 Tablet Gen2. I used that on 100% brightness and could only get 3 hours. And the display on the Lenovo is terrible. The HP display beats the Surface Pro 4 in my opinion and having LTE is the key for me.

8. muneebrocks

muneebrocks Pen Pal - Newbie

hey I just want to confirm that many people forget that when a system is new windows takes a lot of time to process and index all the files so initially the battery life is much worse than later
    my suggestion is always to leave the computer on for atleast 24 hours plugged in to let the laptop settle

because hp elite actually has a bigger battery than the sp5
    hp elite has a 47 vs 45

9. gmtom1

gmtom1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered a i5 7200U, 8GB, 256GB, LTE via the HP site. Says it's shipping 8/22. The HP TB3 dock is out of stock, so I just ordered the regular USB-C dock and hope the TB3 dock comes back in stock within my 30day return period.