HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. gmtom1

gmtom1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Only the base i3 version is available. I'm waiting for the customizable version, although there are sites selling what they claim to be an i5 with LTE, which is what I want. Bummed about the WiGig though. Was looking forward to trying that out. Perhaps it's user-replaceable with the G1 module.

2. gmtom1

gmtom1 Pen Pal - Newbie

HP posted two i5 models today. One has the i5 7300 processor and the other has the 7200 processor, and there's a slightly different SSD in each.

Otherwise they appear identical. About $150 price difference.

The custom model pricing is still way out of line.

3. TerryGecko

TerryGecko Pen Pal - Newbie

So I just got the i5 7300 8gb ram version of the G2. The first thing I did after getting it all set up was plug it into my Akitio Node with a GTX 970 and run Steam. Worked great. It realized it was a GPU dock immediately and downloaded the drivers.

The only issue is the Akitio Node doesn't power the device and there is only 1 TB3 port so it has to run on battery. That's not a huge issue but I need to find another TB3 dock that delivers power. Hopefully the HP Omen Accelerator does.

Btw, the fans on this thing are actually pretty quiet. Every Surface I've ever owned would have the fans on full blast in Chrome just watching youtube but this thing is almost silent. If they release the i7 version with 16gb of ram within my 30 day buyers remorse period, I will totally exchange it.

kvoram and Marty like this.
  4. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you tell us if it is fast, how many hours the battery last?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2017
  5. tonysunshine

tonysunshine Pen Pal - Newbie

hows the battery life? And the pen input?

6. TerryGecko

TerryGecko Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't had a chance to test out the battery yet.

As far as performance, it's very good. Full disclosure, I'm coming from a Surface Pro 4 M35 so it's quite a bit fast than it. When plugged into the Akitio Node with a GTX970, it runs H3 with my HTC Vive just fine. I am going to download Premiere when I get home and test it out tonight.

The pen is ok. It's not as good for note taking as the Surface pen but it's a lot better than synaptics and it's a lot better than Wacom AES was about 3 years ago.

7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey @TerryGecko , thanks for taking the plunge and giving us some first impressions.

Would you mind running some benchmark(s) on it and also generally trying to push it to its limits to see how loud the fan or how hot the device can get?

One more thing: How reflective and bright is the screen compared to the SP4?

It is unsurpising that the Akitio Node can't charge your Elite x2 1012 G2, as the Akitio Node is quite limited in that way and only supports 5V@3A (15W). It seems it doesn't even support USB-PD to charge the connected device: https://www.akitio.com/faq/310-node-does-the-node-recharge-the-laptop

8. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

How's the touchpad on this as well. I had the m3 X2 and the touch pad was crazy. Would stop working periodically and then restart. Drove me crazy.

9. muneebrocks

muneebrocks Pen Pal - Newbie

there are zero reviews for this product and I am really interested
    can you tell me the battery life on this thing?
    how is the keyboard
    the screen
    and the brightness?
    also how is the build quality?
    what about blacklight bleed?

10. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

I've trimmed down my list to the new SP versus this baby, presumably released at the end of August here in the Netherlands.

Can't wait to see some reviews come out, I can't find anything yet (it's all previews from May). Not to mention the weird release schedule and the aforementioned customise option on the HP site, which has GOT to be a mistake.