HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here are some Geekbench 4 comparisons between the HP Elite x2 1012 G2 and the New Surface Pro, both on the same i5-7300U.
    They benchmark roughly the same with the Elite x2 having a slight edge overall. So if you were tied between those, you can take the CPU performance out of the equation, and focus on the other differences.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/compare/3093930?baseline=3091574
    and
    https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/compare/3093752?baseline=3019093

These aren't the best scores for an i5-7300U in their database, but the results are respectable:
    https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/search?dir=desc&q=i5-7300u&sort=multicore_score

Those Geekbench results should always be loeked at with a skeptical eye, since you never know the testing conditions and there is usually a big variation in test results for the same device configuration.

But another thing that this tells us is, that just like Acer before with the Switch Alpha 12, Microsoft seems to have figured out fanless cooling of a U-class CPU. There is certainly still going to be some heavy throttling with extended CPU stress.

2. TerryGecko

TerryGecko Pen Pal - Newbie

What is up with HP's website? They have the buy it now i3 4GB of ram model of the G2 for $1099 and they also have the customize and buy option of the i3 4GB of ram model starting for $2300. So if you want an i7, you'll have to add $700 on top of the $2300.

3. wizozzie

wizozzie Pen Pal - Newbie

That price can't be right.

I've been waiting a long time for the G2 model, and if that's the real price, I'm going to wait a year.

EDIT: So I went to check it out and it seems that it's strangely priced all around, the WiGIG option is nowhere to be found, and the monitor resolution is not what we expected. What's going on?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

We'll have i5, or likely even i7, for $1000 within next 6 months.

5. wizozzie

I hope so because at $3800, I may as well go back to Surface Pro.

I spoke to HP and the chat folks seem to be clueless as to the WiGIG option. Woe. I'm heavily invested in WiGIG and it does bridge the lack of a third TB3 or USBC port.

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, the customizable option's price is probably going to be adjusted soonish, but it will take a while for the G2 to be available at a more reasonable price. The G1 was very pricey at the start as well, it is after all business-aimed.

@wizozzie The resolution however is stated correctly at 2736x1824 !?!
    As for your WiGig hopes, I have bad news. HP seemingly cancelled that option in May, take a look at the latest rev. of the Spec-Sheet (last page) , where it says "May 18, 2017 / V3 / Removed Wigig references.":
    http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDoc...kspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=de&lc=de

7. wizozzie

That is massively unfortunate. I'll have to invest in wonky Thunderbolt 3 hubs.

My experience with WiGIG is extremely good. It's rock solid at 4ft distance. I have 4K monitors plugged in with hard drives and it works great with great bandwidth.

One nice thing is that with the modularity of the x2, I should be able to recover parts from a g1 and put them in a g2. That would be a fun project.

-Oz

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@wizozzie if the WLAN card isn't soldered, you can indeed add WiGiG yourself. It may be soldered like on Elitebook X360... then HP can go to hell for all I care, because WiGiG is fracking awesome. I mostly use mine from 15ft, sometimes even farther - but it has only one HDTV connected, with a bunch of HDDs and other peripherals - so bandwidth required is nowhere near high as yours.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

You have to pay attention to the P/N of what you are looking at. If it has a "UT" in the P/N string it is intended to be sold on an individual basis. If it does not have a "UT" in the string it is an item intended to be sold in bulk to industry at a negotiated price point. Ignore those items when shopping with HP.

10. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

this is already purchaseable in US?