HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@DRTigerlilly they stayed with Wacom AES; Spectres were with N-Trig to begin with, iirc.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The 2016 Spectre x2 wasn't N-Trig, it was AES and the Spectre x360 used Synaptics.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Starlight5

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

No worries, it's getting harder to keep on top of them especially with HP seemingly throwing in digitizer tech at will...

5. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok now im torn between G1 and G2.
    In my country, there's a clearance sale for the G1 highest config, USD 200 discount for a limited time.
    Should I take it or wait for G2 which probably won't be in the market until august or september (even if HP said it will released in July)?

6. Starlight5

@xor01 G1 in top configurations (8GB RAM, LTE) go for $600-$700 on eBay. If you can get one for this amount of money, why not... but if it's more expensive, it would be better to wait for G2 which seems to be much better in all aspects, in my opinion.

7. wizozzie

wizozzie Pen Pal - Newbie

I've bought several of the Elite x2 1012 G1 units at clearance rates and I love em. Here are my thoughts:

The m5-6y57 is a massive deal and if you can find that one at 4G or 8G RAM it's a recommended buy. It's only 5% or so slower than the way more expensive m7.

The m3 is plenty fast for most everything, but the 4G RAM version makes you wish it had 8G.
    The m7 is not worth it. Go for the m5 units.

My purpose for the Elite x2 is for presentations, multimonitor Chrome tab-o-rama (more than 12 tabs) using dual displaylink monitors, and basic Lightroom touchups. I used to carry a Surface Pro 4 m3 and i7 and really I can't tell the difference in most things

The x5 Snapdragon LTE is ROCK SOLID for 700MHz T-Mobile service. There are very few tablets that can say they are as reliable. Really, it's a perfect unit for T-Mobile users. It's the reason why I moved away from Surface, and I'll probably not go back to Surface next round because of the G2 being so almost perfect.

The unit I use now is:
    m5-6y57, 8G RAM, with a Samsung 960 EVO 1T NVME. I get 3400/2600 on it, which is kind of amazing for a tablet.

The four things that tick me off about this tablet:

HP doesn't have its act together on drivers, I have the advanced keyboard and as it's really 4 different devices in one, I seem to lose one of them every once in a while.

Power adapter passthrough. I have yet to find any breakout hub for USB C that will properly send through power to Elite x2 G1. I am so mad at HP for not at least attempting to support power from any source. Very unfriendly to users!

The speakers. Omgosh, they are beyond horrible.

I wish I had the new snazzy HP logo, and honestly will be the reason why I get a G2. I like it that much. haha.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.
  8. wizozzie

If I were you, I'd get the m5 version with 8G RAM and upgrade the drive yourself. It's seriously easy to do and if you want pics, I can send some of my personal unit.

-Ozzo

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your detailed insight. You're right, the M5 one is the sweetest deal (14% discount) while the M7 only have 11% discount.
    There's USD437 price gap between the two and the only difference is that the M7 comes with 512GB SSD.
    Both of them have 8GB RAM.

Btw, little bit out of topic, do you have any interest for the Elitebook X360 G2?

10. wizozzie

Nope. If i wanted the Elitebook x360 form factor, I'd just get a Spectre x360 G3. That is one hawt 2:1.

-wizozzie