HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. SMTRST

SMTRST Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to clarify some things here:
    • They are vents, they are moving from Y series to U series processors for the G2 hence the introduction of fans (on a side note Intel's naming conventions for the Kaby Lake CPUs is somewhat confusing but bless their souls).
    • Speakers have been moved to front facing, has to do with the tablet being Skype for Business Certified along with the collaboration keys you'd find on the Elitebook Folio G1.
    • They have improved the fingerprint scanner, it's capacitive now - also offering an IR camera for Windows Hello.
    • Screen is bigger at 12.3", resolution has been bumped to 2736 x 1824 (matching the Surface Pro 4).
    • The hinge reclines back further, gives you a more flat and comfortable inking surface.
    • Fancy new HP logo, of course.

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@SMTRST Thanks for the hint, I have updated my original post with the now published full specs.

3. SMTRST

SMTRST Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh it's great they've finally published info about it, I've been sitting on this engineering sample for a couple of weeks now and I guess I can finally take it out into public :).

4. kvoram

Say what?!? And you have waited til now to come out? :p

I hope you can answer a few questions if possible:
    And since you are a newly registered member: Welcome! :hi:

Btw, how come you have all these new HP convertibles?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys.. long time member of NBR, but newbie here... :)
    Anyway, this is my 1st post... have 1 question i need to ask since i never use a convertible laptop before.

Does HP Elite X2 (or Surface Pro or Surface Book or other 2-in-1 convertible laptop) works like Android/IOS Tablet?

What I mean is, can we bring it along without turning the machine off? Like we do to a smartphone or android/ios tablet in which we only turned off the display.

And yes, I really interested to buy HP Elite X2 G2... i think this is the best convertible laptop... Unless Surface Pro 5 comes with thunderbolt 3 port and SIM slot...

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Seems like a perfect tablet to me... if maintenance is reasonably easy and there are no obscure flaws, that is.

7. networkn

networkn Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.
    I have been hanging out for this tablet so bad. Higher Resolution screen is essential. I can't live on 1080P! I have the G1 which is nice.
    What I am seriously unhappy with, however, is that it has those massive bezels still. Stuff I had heard was smaller bezels were high on the priority list.

8. networkn

networkn Pen Pal - Newbie

Will you be able to charge it with a USB C charger like a Anker Power Brick?

9. kvoram

@networkn If you want really slim bezels, Dell is still the only option, either with the available "Dell XPS 13 9365" 360° convertible or the the upcoming "Dell Latitude 7285" detachable.

Whether the G2 will charge with any regular USB-C charger or power bank that does not have USB Power Delivery (USB-PD 2.0/3.0) is something that we will only find out by trial and error. You are unlikely to get a technically reliable answer from HP either.

But if you look at this picture from the original post, it does méntion multiple voltages for the AC adapter in the FCC listng, so maybe 5V will also be accepted.

Interestingly, HP has put all the various webpages for the G2 offline. I hope this means they are updating these and a release will happen sooner than later.

[​IMG]

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

no release date yet?