HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

2. JRiggs

JRiggs Pen Pal - Newbie

The new Acer switch 7 black edition seems like another great option. Has the kaby lake quad core as well as tb3

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Algar

Algar Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thinking of getting this tablet/laptop hybrid but the only sensible option for me comes with a 512gb SSD. How easy is it to replace it with a proper NVMe drive? What would be the biggest and best NVMe drive this laptop supports or does it simply accept any NVMe drive?

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Algar it accepts any 2280 drive, be it SATA or NVME. Biggest is 2TB Samsung 960 Pro at the moment.

5. JRiggs

JRiggs Pen Pal - Newbie

Only thing holding me back on this tablet is the 7 series processor. Kabylake v2 (8000) series has 4 core and 8 thread processor s. Much better performance.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is this still a $5000 tablet?

(Checks HP sales page...) Yup. Close to $8000 for the top model in Canadian buckaroos. That's bold! -And obviously not for video editors; the SSD is too small and the focus was clearly on pencil/paint input. You can scrub a video timeline with a mouse to a shiny shine for a third that price, thank you very much!

But look around...

You cannot get a kick-ass portable drawing board suitable for a no-messing-around corporate work environment -other than this one.

No. Wacom can't provide that. The MSP isn't paired with a no-bother business support plan. Wacom headquarters are half way around the globe (literally), shipping is a pain, cash flow is tight and an experienced corporate support structure just isn't there. When you've got critical production concerns, relying on Wacom to help keep your team on schedule would be lunacy.

A desktop Cintiq is one thing; they tend to be fairly reliable. But a portable tablet? There's SO much more which can go wrong on a laptop. HP is positioned and experienced in providing no-bother tech support to corporate clients. My guess is that they saw an opening for their services and decided it was big/reliable enough to move into it with a product. It'll be interesting to see what the sales curve is like on this model.

This sure isn't aimed at the small to mid-range independent. Half the sticker price is there to pay for the product support structure.

7. JRiggs

JRiggs Pen Pal - Newbie

I think your thinking more on the zbook x2 that one is wayyyy over my budget. This one is more focused as a business tablet with drawing ability. Although I am leaning more into the switch 7 black edition

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Right you are!

I was looking at the 14" corners-cut-off machine:

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Offer.aspx?p=hp-zbook-x2

JRiggs likes this.
  9. Algar

Algar Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the switch 7 black edition have M.2 SSD? I can't find any info.

Anyways, HP X2 1012 G2 is much more reasonably priced in retail stores. The price on the HP-page doesn't make any sense.

10. Vortex

Vortex Pen Pal - Newbie

I looking at buying a used x2 G2 but I have a couple of questions:
    1. Does this have the charger DRM. Can you use 3rd party USB PD chargers and powerbanks to charge this?
    2. Does the M.2 drive accept SATA or NVMe SSD's or both?
    3. Is the battery replaceable and is a replaceable battery easily available?