HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

2. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

3. JRiggs

JRiggs Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I am excited to try this one out. I have been hunting for a portable work tablet with the ability to have decent gaming performance. This meant i need to find a setup that supports TB3 for a eGPU. Looks like this one could be the best of the lot.
    The only issue I have with this unit is that its not out yet! I have been waiting but HP doesn't know when it will be released in Canada. Bleh I almost went with the Miix 720 but apparently the throttling is worse than most.

4. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine arrived yesterday .. roughly 36h after hitting the order button ... yay for the internets paired with good logistics ;D

First impression. Neat.
    Maybe personal taste, but i like the typecover better than the last surface ones (havent tried a nSP signature cover though).
    First time i bothered to use a fingerprint sensor since my 8510w in 2007 ... but this time it actually just works ^^ Never typed in my password since setting it up.
    The pen is lighter than expected. Maybe personal taste too, but i d prefer it just slightly heavier. I havent used it much so far, but it works as expected (no artist, just using for notes, and input).
    Build is very good. The bezels on the long sides (top/bottom in landscape) are a bit broader than say on the surfaces. The surface looks a bit sleeker, maybe better because of that. However, when you take the tablet in your hand in portrait i think its actually helpful.

I ll only fully set it up next week though. Noticed i m out of decent usb sticks to make a system backup before i delete the recovery partition ^^

5. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

6. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

One buys new hardware when one needs/wants it ;)
    A next gen is always on the horizon ...

(but considering HP for example apparently hasnt made even this generation easily available everywhere yet gen8 could take a while :p)

Gen8 will be faster for the sole reason that they put in 4 instead of 2 real cores.

But in the very special case of these 2in1's like the X2 here, or surface etc... mostly the pure benchmark performance will go up. We already see now that virtually every one of these devices starts to throttle under contineous full load. Intel just refreshed with double Kaby Lake cores. No new architecture nor shrinking. So the thermals dont improve.
    Either the manufacturers improve their cooling again significantly or any improvement in cpu power that you might see in a synthetic (short) benchmark will not be there for actual heavy load use.
    (laptopmag for example tested a 15" notebook where thermals and throttling are far less of an issue)

The really odd thing about that article though is the significantly improved gpu results. The 7200 sucessor should indeed have a (U)HD620 and barely improve.

In any case, i dont think there ll be a larger improvement than say from gen6 to gen7. Thats welcome, but so little that one generation really doesnt changes what you can or cant do with your device.

7. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

It depends, if you already have Elite X2 G1 (or similar tablet released between 2015-2016) then yes, you probably better wait for Elite X2 G3.
    But if you don't have any and searching for one, better buy now since the G3 will probably enter the market 12 months from now (and by that time, the next Intel 9th gen CPU will be on the horizon).

8. JRiggs

JRiggs Pen Pal - Newbie

I just wish they would release it in Canada already.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

9. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

You are right. I have the XPS13 9350 and I would update it with a new one having significantly improved like one with 4 processors instead of 2 of my skylake model.

10. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017