HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

It's nice all around, but battery life being worse than predecessor is somewhat disappointment. The fact that there exists a configuration with 7200U & 16GB RAM is welcome, giving limited cooling system performance. The review itself lacks information about keyboard and maintenance, though I'm pretty sure both are top notch.

2. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there anybody here who used the nSP and the Elite x2 1012 g2 and can comment on how comparable pen input is on the two devices?

I m really down to nSP or this, but having a hard time making a decision ^^

The nSP has the better runtime going for it, and possibly better pen input.

The HP has a fan (not too loud), but the upside of that is that it throttles far less. The 3 years warranty are clearly a plus. Incl pen and keyboard cover its slightly cheaper than the nSP.

Other than that there dont seem to be super significant differences for me. Ports work for me on either. Weight/Size differences are negligible.

Oh actually, does the HP power adapter have a USB port too? used the one on my sp2 a lot ;D

iatrou likes this.
  3. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

I think there is a significant difference to the ports, HP has Thunderbolt, while SP doesn't.

4. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Where did you get that the nSP throttles a lot? I have not seen that in any reviews, and I've not experienced it in practice. For me, the pen on the nSP works great and feels like a high end gel pen writing on paper. I don't get any lag that I can notice. I've not used the x2, so can't compare, but its a great experience (for me). Battery life is significantly longer on the nSP based on what I've seen in reviews.

One thing you did not mention is that I believe the x2 is serviceable. The nSP for the most part is not.

5. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

The main professional source for that is also notebookcheck. If you looked at the linked X2 test, they looked for that there too. It too throttles, but far less than the i5 surface.

It seems most testers only run the benchmarks for short heavy load scenarios. But if you test ongoing heavy load you have throttling on many many (if not most) convertibles or super small ultrabooks.

The i5 surface test is here. Look down to performance. There they have cinebench results where its run in a loop (they use that now for all throttling tests). It shows very good performance at first, but under contineous load drops about 33%. That really is why i would prefer the i7 over i5 surface in any case. Sure fanless is nice. But for heavy load cases i do prefer a fan that kicks in if its really necessary. And apparently it would be. (only the acer switch 5 passive cooling handles i cpu's well so far, afaik)

Yeah, technically the serviceabilty of the x2 is an advantage too. However the waranty more so. I dont need to get into the convertible, if something is wrong then HP has to ;)

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, ofc. I literally meant its of no significance for me. As what i need/want is a normal USB-A port which both have. A video out and power supply...
    For the nSP i pretty much always need an adapter as in my case HDMI is far more used than dvi. For the X2 an adapter/hub will be necessary too for the usb-c port.

So, i will need at least 1 adapter for either :p

7. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, and i ordered the X2 now ^^

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

The difference is that with a e-gpu dock connected only through a USB-type c connector it can become a powerful desktop-like computer to be able even to function as a workstation or a gaming rig.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As I can see there’s improvements in battery life,quality of the screen(brightness,contrast,accuracy color and of course resolution of the screen)CPU-GPU performance as using now U Intel Core processor as well using blazing fast PCIe SSD latest generation from Samsung.

Seems HP delivered with generation 2 very high quality 2 in 1 with major improvements in all aspect compared to generation 1.

Good job.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

10. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

Again, yes. We all know about the versatility about USB-C. and that IS positive. But it still is an inconvenience if one has to carry around adapters. And in the best case scenario you want to have 2 of these regardless.

Also the egpu example is probably the most gimmicky. It works, yeah. But if you trully game more, you ll probably either have a gaming notebook to carry around and/or a gaming PC.
    The egpu makes a lot more games playable, but for more serious stuff you wont be happy with a -u CPU. Its a rather costly compromise for additional graphics power thats only available when "docked" at home.

Possibly even more so if you really want/need a mobile workstation. I assume workstation graphics probably work in an egpu encasing too. But again, you re better served with a "real" mobile workstation. (and even then sometimes you wish you d have more power :p)