HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

I hope they will be available by the end of the year, when 8th gen will start rolling - and at a much lower prices.

2. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

I appreciate the suggestion!

There are a few stores here that have it, but they are business focused webshops that apparently consider themselves exempt from proper service.

The stores I shop at have a business department backed by a guarantee that you can always return an item within the first month if there's a problem, no questions asked.

Considering how unreliable production quality seems to be, I consider that a must.

3. phx

phx Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah. Local stores with good service -are- convenient. Downside usually are somewhat more exotic prices well over online store pricing.

The neat thing about online shopping in the EU is that you can return anything without reason within 14days too. That said, picking a reliable retailer helps too.
    Personally i ve made better experiences with online retailers than with local stores over the years.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

The neat thing about online shopping in the EU is that you can return anything without reason within 14days too.​
    And, for private, not business, purchases we also have the 2-year European guarantee of conformity. Sellers often try to weasel out of it, but this guarantees (1) repair or (2) replacement or (3) discount or (4) refund at 100% seller's expense (including shipping) if the device for whatever reason fails to conform to its advertised characteristics.

5. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, the stores I was talking about are both online stores. And while yes, you can send anything back in 14 days, the product has to be UNUSED in order for them to allow you to do that.

The thing with these two specific chains of stores I mentioned is that they are totally cool with you actually using the product and then sending it back. If I buy something in Germany, I have no idea how the store will react. Not to mention that shipping to Germany is a *****.

6. iatrou

iatrou Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I will wait to get one when it puts the ew processors Kaby Lake-R with 4 cores.

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed Pen Pal - Newbie

My wife is looking at getting a Elite X2 (or possibly an Elitebook 360) from her employer.
    At the same time I am considering getting a new 27" QWHD (2560x1440) or 4k (3840 x 2160) monitor.

I have two questions:
    (1) Does the HP Elite x2 support both QWHD and 4k at 60hz on an external display?
    (2) What is the bets way to connect the x2 to an external display? All of the monitors that I am looking at have both HDMI and Display Port. Is it easy to connect the x2 to either Display Port or HDMI? (I assume I would need a usb-c adaptor for this.) Is there any advantage to newer monitors which have a USB-C video input?

8. jhax01

jhax01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have a 4K monitor, but the Elite X2 was able to drive my 1440p gaming monitor at 144hz on both Mac OS X Sierra and Windows 10 using this USB-C adapter - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin...l-video-adapter-black/5952000.p?skuId=5952000

I have no doubt that it will work just fine @ 4K 60hz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. gmtom1

gmtom1 Pen Pal - Newbie

So my X2 arrived a little earlier than forecasted - UPS finally delivered it a few days earlier than the 31st, but still later than HP originally promised. I've been using on and off for just over a couple of weeks. Overall, it's a great replacement from my SP3, and the form factor and usability is nearly identical. I'm not a heavy user, and the X2 is a secondary machine for me. All of the following are based on comparison to my old SP3.

Pros:
    • Keyboard is much better than the surface touch cover. I can bang away at this thing like it's a full size, whereas I felt like I had to be gentle with the Surface.
    • The touchpad is better and yet worse than the SP3. It's bigger (+), but it's not as reliable (-) to touch inputs.
    • I'm using a Bamboo ink stylus (I didn't get the HP pen) and I miss the functionality that the surface pen had with the eraser "tip" and magnet to connect to the side. The Bamboo doesn't fit in the pen loop on the HP keyboard and the clip is not a good fit on the keyboard "crease" either.
    • Love that I now have LTE connectivity thanks to choosing the HP lt4120 WWAN module option. Works great out of the box with my T-Mobile SIM.
    • Fingerprint reader works better than the reader on the Surface touch cover did
    • Battery life feels better than my SP3 did, but I've not measured it objectively.
    • Just as "lappable" as my SP3 was.
    • The included AC adapter has a swappable plug to convert to a travel adapter, just like how Apple's Macbook adapters work.
    Cons:
    • It's heavier than I was expecting it to be and definitely heavier than I recall my SP3. I don't know the exact differences, but it feels heavy, which is the main point. The weight distribution is also different - The HP definitely feels top heavy compared to what I remember from muscle memory on the SP3.
    • Battery life is shorter than I was expecting, but I'm probably not considering the additional drain the WWAN module.
    • Glossy screen - I've got to find a matte screen protector for this thing. The high gloss is slightly annoying at certain angles.
    • Just as uncomfortable when on my lap as the SP3 was.
    • The "Elite USB-C Dock" (Part #Y0K80AA) that was suggested by HP as an accessory when I checked out is not compatible via USB-C. It would only work if I connected it via USB-A. Go figure. I ended up returning it and purchasing the HP TB3 dock (1DT93UT) instead.
    • Lots of HP and non-HP bloatware pre-installed
    • I miss the easy access to the microSD card slot on the SP3.
    • There's some fan noise under heavy load - comparable to what I remember from my SP3's fans, just less often.
    • It gets quite hot under heavy load.
    • The keyboard's magnets are quite strong, even on the other side of it. I'm concerned I might accidentally wipe/damage a flash drive or other magnetically sensitive device that gets too close.

Starlight5 likes this.