HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Would it make any difference if I used a USB drive instead of an ISO file on a DVD?

2. HJK

OK, so this video says to delete all partitions. But if I do that, won't I lose the UEFI and the BIOS Windows 10 Pro key with it? Where is the BIOS?

This is above my paygrade. But I'm not ready to give up just yet.

3. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

From my experience removing all partitions is the correct approach. Don't worry about your key as it is stored on the Microsoft servers and compared with information stored in the uefi firmware of your device.

Terry

HJK likes this.
  4. HJK

Well, in any event I think this one is going back to the vendor. If I unplug it, it immediately shuts off, so there is something wrong with the battery or USB type c charging port. Too bad. I don't know if I'll even try removing the partitions, since I don't want the vendor to have any excuses to not give me a refund.
    Blah. That's a let down.

5. HJK

I spoke with a MS rep on the phone tonight, and he insisted that I would still need to pay to activity Windows even if I did get it installed. Does that sound right? It doesn't sound 100% legit to me, because I've reinstalled Windows 10 before and I've never had to enter a product key or activate it. The difference, I suppose, would be that those devices already had a (broken) version of Windows installed, whereas this one has had the operating system removed altogether. Anyone know definitively?

6. jhax01

jhax01 Pen Pal - Newbie

He's full of it. I've swapped SSDs, wiped them completely, used the device as OS X only (no windows os installed), and reinstalled windows later without any issue on the X2. If it originally had a license, it is digitally tied to the device. I've never tried installing from a DVD and have always used Microsoft's USB creation tool to create the image so I can't comment on that aspect, but as long as you're using a legitimate copy I doubt it matters.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

HJK likes this.
  7. HJK

I made the DVD using the MS creation tool, too. So I doubt that would make any difference. Even so, the dang thing must have a battery problem, cuts off as soon as it is unplugged, so I guess I have to send it back to the vendor and swallow shipping. I'm debating whether or not to still spring for another Elite X2 12 or something else. A ver.

8. HJK

This feels like a stupid question, but if it won't function at all when unplugged and Windows isn't even installed, there has to be something broken, most likely physically, right?
    I ask because the vendor has agreed to a refund, but I am wondering if I should try deleting the partitions and installing Windows 10 first to see if that might fix the issue. Any opinions?

9. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

What are you expecting it to do with no operating system. What does it do when you plug it in?

Terry

HJK likes this.
  10. HJK

Plugged in I can get into the BIOS, boot from my recovery DVD, etc. Unplugged it dies immediately and won't do anything. Something must be wrong with the hardware, so back it goes. Bummer.