HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. kitenski

kitenski Pen Pal - Newbie

I went for a Bamboo Smart Stylus for selected Dell HP Lenovo Toshiba Tablet which I'm very pleased with

2. mytom

mytom Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone can't help me?

3. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

I did that as well, it works nice but has no one note button.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

4. milkytoast

I am sure it has the newer bios that has the Windows key built in, there also is a recovery partition. I don't know if there is a specific tutorial for this computer but any windows install tutorial should do. Also you might want to grab the windows keys using a program to get the keys, just for your own records.

I forget what program I used to get my keys but I usually just regoogle it every time

HJK likes this.
  5. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

So are you saying that if it still has the BIOS I shouldn't have to purchase a new Windows Key?

6. HJK

Can anyone confirm that the Windows 10 license should be somehow included in the BIOS? Thanks!

7. milkytoast

It has been a few years since I had read about the UEFI bios in newer computers, but I thought not needing a key is part of the UEFI, that and the Linux crowd was not happy about it.

8. HJK

OK, so I think I'm getting it. The UEFI should have the product key embedded so I shouldn't have to even enter a product key when I install Windows 10 *if* I install the same version of Windows the device had previously. So, just to be clear, any model of the Elite X2 1012 G1 should have Windows 10 Pro, right?
    *edit* not all versions have Win 10 Pro.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04895999.pdf
    But the one that I have purchased, according to the CDW website, should have Windows 10 Pro. I'm sure for some on this thread, installing Windows 10 in a situation like this is routine. I've even done it once myself on a "for parts/not working" Vivotab Note 8. But I'm still green enough to be nervous and to consider this a relatively high risk proposition. I'll let you know how it all works out when the device arrives!

I'm glad I asked about it here. I was planning to buy a product key, which could have cost me over $100 unnecessarily.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  9. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought Win 10 keys were stored on the Microsoft servers related to the specific device. Don't know for sure but I have fresh installed Win 10 on laptops and desktops that previously had Win 10 without the key being questioned.

Terry

10. HJK

Ugh. I got the tablet and I tried installing Windows 10 from a DVD that I created. I had to do the custom install, and it wouldn't let me install it on either partition. I called the Windows help line and the guy there told me to reformat and delete the larges partition. I did that, but I'm scared that maybe what he told me is going to kill the machine. In any event, I've formatted it, deleted it, and now I've created a new 10 gb partition, but it still won't let me install Windows on the 10 GB partition. I get this message:
    "Windows can't be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems Windows can only be installed on GPT disks."
    What should I do at this point? Any help?