HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. wizozzie

wizozzie Pen Pal - Newbie

You need to make sure the LTE card is in there. If you don't, the board will be a dummy rubberized slot and you will be disappointed. All models of the G1 Elite x2 have a cutout for a SIM slot. Have them take the tray out. If it is a white slip, it's not LTE.

You can use any charger that supports PD 3.0 or 15w/3A.

No Windows Hello.

Starlight5 and HJK like this.
  2. Kaeliri

Kaeliri Pen Pal - Newbie

Heads-up: Thunderbolt 3 eGPU now works with a fully updated HP Elite X2 1012 G1.

It's bottlenecked pretty thoroughly, but works.

The eGPU is Gigabyte's Aorus Gaming Box. Currently bottlenecked by low-power link between CPU and PCH, which currently operates in 4-lane PCIe 2.0 mode instead of 4-lane PCIe 3.0 mode. Also bottlenecked by, I think, a bug in the eGPU firmware that cuts host-to-device bandwidth in half; Gigabyte is said to be working on a fix. It should claw back some performance.

All in all it's a surprisingly impressive showing for a dinky little 4.5W ULV tablet.

Attached Files:

kvoram and Starlight5 like this.
  3. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Read through the entire thread, are there any outstanding issues remaining with this tablet? Looking for something for occasional pen use and light use, maybe one or two instances of light video editing. Currently using an Acer Switch Alpha 12 and comparing this to the Acer's successor the Switch 5. Thanks.

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@efjay it has bright & vivid 3:2 pen&touch display yet all the business features are present - easy maintenance, upgradeable SSD, fingerprint reader, Thunderbolt 3, WiGiG (802.11ad), WWAN.

5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks. Did some more research and I think the sound is going to be an issue for me as this will be my main PC and there doesn't seem to be a review that doesn't mention its limitations. Long term that will lead to s frustrating experience so I think I'll keep looking.

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. mikewho

mikewho Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanted to add my experience with this, as my powered-off battery drain matched the 6-7% per day that @Waschmaschine quoted and I just concluded a ticket with HP in which they are replacing my battery under warranty coverage, even after having passed an HP system battery test (contained in the HP Support Assistant application).

Prior to this warranty service being approved, I was looking for other solutions and had powered down my unit using the method described by @easy2day. I attempted to power it back on after two full days of being "fully" powered down, however the unit would not power back on using the hardware power button while not plugged in. The Caps Lock button LED would flash very quickly once while I was holding down the power button (single-pressing it would not cause any sort of response), and I recall the screen flashing briefly as well. It was not until I plugged the AC cord into the unit and single-pressed the power button that the unit powered on normally. Despite the troubles powering the unit back on, the battery level was exactly where it had been just prior to fully powering it down - great success! That being said, I'm curious to know if it is normal to need to plug the unit in to power it on after having been "fully" powered down in the way described by @easy2day.

7. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well it's amazing to see that some people are still fighting with this issue more than one year after it was first reported, and that this is still not entirely solved by HP; the contenders of this time (@easy2day, @Waschmaschine and myself) seem to have moved to other preoccupations (I returned my machine last year due to the battery drain issue...).

I am curious: what did they tell you at the HP technical support about the current state of the issue? Is the latest BIOS upgrade supposed to contain some form of bug correction? And did they confirm to you that the steps required to fullfill the true power-off procedure that you applied were the correct steps? (apparently the procedure you attempted seems to have produced the desired effect, so this would be interesting if the technical support could confirm that this was the genuine true power off procedure that was used)

And I am also curious to figure out if the issue also affects today the newer HP elite X2 1012 G2 that was just released recently;

Last thing: if you have access to an ordinary radio, maybe you can try the detection test that was described at the time (see posts 495->501 where the detection procedure is described using an ordinary radio http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/hp-elite-x2-1012-discussion-thread.68692/page-50#post-473253 -> http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/hp-elite-x2-1012-discussion-thread.68692/page-51#post-473354)

this test helps to determine whether there is still electrical activity in the device once powered off or not, thus permitting you to be certain that the device is truly powered off.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.
  8. mikewho

mikewho Pen Pal - Newbie

To be honest, if I didn't know any better I would have been led to believe that I was the first person to be reporting this issue. I let them know of the battery drain I was experiencing while the device was shut off, and they agreed that it was both unexpected and unreasonable. They did say that some amount of battery drain was normal and expected while the device was shut off. I asked them what the "normal" amount was, and they couldn't provide an actual number. I said "If in a week, it was within 5-7% of the battery level at the time of shut-down, would that be normal?" and they seemed to indicate that was a reasonable amount.

All in all, a very non-answery type response.

I bought my unit in January of this year, however the date of manufacture is actually February of 2016 - I know this because 1.) the age of my battery is almost 600 days and 2.) when I registered my device's warranty coverage, it was considered as out of its warranty period and I had to provide proof of purchase to get the warranty start date reset to my date of purchase.

The reason I say this is that one of the troubleshooting steps I was asked to perform by the HP Elite support tech (which by all measures was excellent and professional support) was a BIOS update to the latest version on the HP support website. It turns out the my device's BIOS was something on the order of 15 versions out-of-date. The tech hoped that a BIOS update would solve some or all of the battery drain issues, though again this didn't seem like an "intentional" fix and more of a "one thing we could try is to update the BIOS". On top of the BIOS update, most of my drivers were out-of-date as well, which I also updated.

Even after all of these updates, the device was at the 6-7% per day battery drain. Prior to these updates, I believe the battery drain was more severe, however I didn't make a point to record an actual drain rate until these updates and troubleshooting steps were performed.

The "correct" power-off steps I was instructed to perform was a standard "Shut Down" command through the Start menu (as you would do on any typical PC). They of course said that if power-off was done just through the hardware button that it may put it into more of a hibernation state and not a full shut-down mode. I will be following up my open case with them about the power-off steps given in this thread and the effects of it.

I unfortunately don't have a traditional radio handy. That being said, I'm fairly confident that the shut-down procedure given here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/hp-elite-x2-1012-discussion-thread.68692/page-73#post-481877

did in fact fully shut down the device with no power draw, given that the battery level was literally the exact same as when I shut it down. That being said, I believe this also caused it to not be able to start back up on battery power alone (i.e. it had to be plugged in to be booted up).

RT545 likes this.
  9. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for your return of experience. This permits to conclude what we have initiated last year on this topic and to give a current state of the situation.

To sum-up (for future readers seeking information on the topic), even today (11/09/2017), the battery drain issue is still present on the HP elite X2 1012 G1, even after the latest BIOS has been installed, and the HP technical support, when contacted on this topic, continues to act as if they discovered the situation for the first time, just like they did one year ago.

Contrary to other devices, the device is never truly powered off, unless you use the true power-off procedure given at (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/hp-elite-x2-1012-discussion-thread.68692/page-73#post-481877) which is rather tedious.

This situation is a shame, particularly when you consider for example the damages done recently by the NSA eternalblue exploit through the wanacry ransomware attack, or also the critical intel AMT vulnerability;

This is also a shame at a time when there is more and more demands for electronic devices to be switched off when you take the plane.

All of this makes me wish more strongly to get newer tablets that would be instead powered by newer mobile RYZEN APUs instead of a situation with a tablet on which you have no control on the switch off, a situation further enforced by (unwanted) technologies like intel AMT.

And if we finally discover that the situation also exists on the HP elite X2 1012 G2, then this means that HP truly do not learn from their mistakes, and this will really lead to a loss of confidence, at least for me.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. kjlietz

kjlietz Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't you think, that this is going a little bit too far? My use case is to actually use my Elite X2. If there was a battery drainage I would not feel affected. Because I use it the whole day and then I plug it in. A use case in which I do not use it, but could be bothered by battery drainage seems odd at least.

In my opinion the Elite X2 is a really fine machine. I like to work with it. It feels just perfect to me. Most people are amazed by it when they see it which are quite a lot since I am a professional speaker and I always have it with me on stage.

I had some problems with the active pen in the past. But I got a tip how to fix it. So now it works flawlessly.

I think, there will never be the ideal machine. But my Elite X2 is damn near to it. When I thought about buying a new 2in1 last year I stumbled about your complaints in this forum. That almost stopped me buying it. I am so glad that I gave it a try anyway. What might be important for some people does not make so much of a blip on another's problem radar. And that is most certainly the case with me. As I said, I use my Elite X2. There is no benefit for me having it laying around unused and maybe draining its battery or not.