HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

from what I've been able to google on the subject, there's so many because every button, usb, mouse, keyboard, pen, digitizer, indicator light, touch screen, etc. has its own or generic device driver.

2. kjlietz

kjlietz Pen Pal - Newbie

I still like my Elite X2 1012 G1 like mad. But the HP pen is a major fail. I got my first one exchanged in November 2016 because it did not register my pen strokes anymore. Actually it was faulty nearly from start (September) but HP needed months to send me a new one. So I bought a Bamboo Smart pen from Wacom. Worked like a dream and still does.
    When I finally got my new HP pen in November it looked like they mastered that sore quality problem and it basically did the same job like the Wacom Smart pen.
    But from February it started to miss pen strokes again. First it was just like a software glitch. It worked for a minute and it would lose a stroke. But it got worse over time.
    Remember, at the same time the Wacom pen works like a charm!

So I think I will have to call HP again. Most probably I will get a new pen and it will deteriorate over time like the last one. To cut a long story short: If you encounter the same problem, just buy the Wacom Smart Pen. It does not provide the click button at the back. But I found out its back emulates a finger. So you can use it if your fingers are fatty from you lunch. ;-)

Starlight5 and Unlogic like this.
  3. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The hardware maintenance guide for it in the link below, also lists a NVMe drive as an option. Whether all mainboard versions accept these, I don't know. But I would say the likelihood that it works is high.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c04895999

5. kjlietz

kjlietz Pen Pal - Newbie

Is anyone already on Creators Update?

6. Knight1248

Knight1248 Pen Pal - Newbie

My elite is on it
    So far so good

kjlietz likes this.
  7. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I took the gamble and purchased the Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 256GB SSD for my x2. I can tell you that it works perfectly and was actually much easier to install that I originally thought. Here are the before and after stats:

Before - Original 128GB SATA SSD
    Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 536.597 MB/s
    Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 157.273 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 224.858 MB/s [ 54897.0 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 153.636 MB/s [ 37508.8 IOPS]
    Sequential Read (T= 1) : 435.995 MB/s
    Sequential Write (T= 1) : 156.647 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 30.971 MB/s [ 7561.3 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 80.076 MB/s [ 19549.8 IOPS]

After - Samsung 256GB NVMe SSD
    Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3215.989 MB/s
    Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1487.166 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 382.005 MB/s [ 93262.9 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 165.727 MB/s [ 40460.7 IOPS]
    Sequential Read (T= 1) : 1037.230 MB/s
    Sequential Write (T= 1) : 1220.597 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 42.547 MB/s [ 10387.5 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 123.401 MB/s [ 30127.2 IOPS]

Definitely a nice improvement for small investment.

8. NeoMatrixJR

NeoMatrixJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all...I've been trying to read up on this forum in anticipation of my new eBay purchase! Got my M5/256/8gb Elite X2 the other day! So far it's been great. One question though and sorry I'm starting out on this with a non-technical question...but does anyone know of a way to remove the stylus loop? It's stuck on mine in about the worst possible spot (left side of keyboard) and 1.) the loop keeps falling off the plastic sticker making it useless but for cutting my hand, and 2.) makes no sense to keep it on the keyboard when I want it with the tablet. I need to get the plastic sticker off the fabric-backed keyboard without leaving some kind of sticky mess. Any tips? It's not like I can wash it....

Ok, for the more technical question...since I don't think I've seen this yet...anyone attempt an eGPU with this on that nice TB3 port? Also taking recommendations for a nice portable HDMI + USB-C/PD adapter and maybe a good dock (more ports). All the ones I've seen have REALLY short USB-C tails on them under the assumption you're working with a netbook with ports on the keyboard.

9. Kaeliri

Kaeliri Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried an eGPU with Elite X2 1012 and a PowerColor Devil Box a while back. At the time it was a no-go but, with the recent Thunderbolt firmware update released by HP, I think that there's a good chance that the situation has changed. I'm hoping to get my hands on either a Mantiz Venus, another Devil Box, or a Razer Core to test this. The Mantiz seems like the most promising candidate out of the bunch, going by the egpu.io buyer's guide.

The PowerColor Devil Box was able to charge the Elite X2, even if the GPU in it didn't work. The Elite X2 1012's TB3 port also offers full 32Gbps PCIe bandwidth.

10. Kim Hudd

Kim Hudd Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone have issues with wifi connection on the Elite x2? Also issues with tablet recognizing the scanner feature on the printer.