HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Natalie

Natalie Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks Kaeliri. Do you mind trying out if you can wake the computer from sleep by using the keyboard or the trackpad on your machine? I am not really that tech savvy, so I don't feel very comfortable touching the Bios. I would really just love to know if this is just a problem with my unit or is it the same for all units. Thanks again!

2. chi169693

chi169693 Pen Pal - Newbie

from the specs , they are both metal ,backlight ,and with 1.5mm of travel, almost the same weight , the differences are that the spectre keyboard have speakers and silver keys , elite keys are black

3. Kaeliri

Kaeliri Pen Pal - Newbie

I am not able to wake my Elite X2 1012 from sleep by using the keyboard or the trackpad, only by using the power button. I tried disabling the Deep Sleep BIOS setting, and it did not change the behaviour. At least for me, the power button is the only thing that wakes the tablet.

4. Josh Jones

Josh Jones Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been trying to find chargers and USB-C docks that would work with the Elite x2 for weeks. I finally found both randomly at Best Buy so I thought I would share with the group.

Charger - Targus 45 Watt USB Type-C Laptop Wall charger. It has a 6 foot cable and comes with the 12V/3A setting that apparently the Elite X2 needs. Best of all it only costs $30. I have no idea how long it will last, but good to finally have something that works that isn't as big as the one that comes with the X2.

Dock - J5Create USB Type-C multi-adapter. It allows power to pass through it (PD 2.0 compatible) and has 2 USB3.1 ports, Ethernet and HDMI. You have to let the drivers install, but after it does, the combination Targus and dock seem to work wonderfully thus far. Its a little pricier (its costs $75 at BestBuy), but I can confirm it works.

Hope this helps folks who have been looking.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. SuperiorWitt

SuperiorWitt Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking for a Windows replacement for my iPad Pro. From my research, it seems the Elite x2 is the best of the "rest" behind the Surface Book, in terms of overall package. I've owned the Surface Book many times, but experienced a few annoying issues that give me longterm ownership hesitation and the newer ones are too expensive for what I'd use them for.

I've looked at pre-owned versions of:
    ThinkPad X1 - poor build quality, m7 throttles heavily
    Elite x2 1012 - seems solid all around, battery life about average
    Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 700 - seems to be a comparable option? keyboard not backlit
    Acer Switch Alpha 12 - poor battery life and loud fan
    HP Pro Slate 12 (android) - poor resolution
    Huawei Matebook - all around meh, and no kick stand
    Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S - low storage and no microsd, no kickstand
    Note Pro 12.2 (android) - too old at this point
    Vaio Canvas Z - no keyboard backlight, poor "lapability"
    ASUS Transformer 3 Pro T303UA - terrible battery life, throttling on m7
    Surface Pro 4 (i5, i7's) - too pricey

My needs are fairly modest, so I immediately threwout the SP4 option. And the Androids were just to kick the tires. Of the Windows tablets with this form-factor, it seems the Elite X2 has the best combo of a good keyboard, strong performance with few throttling issues and decent battery life.

Would you all agree? And are there any other current options that I've left from the list above? Also, how is the performance on the m5 vs m7 models here. Is the m7 worth the purchase?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@SuperiorWitt between the machines you listed, I would choose Elite X2 1012 without any doubt. However, I just pulled the trigger on Thinkpad Yoga 260 - 16GB RAM, i5 and fantastic keyboard with trackpoint kinda outweighted all other points. I still consider Elite X2 as a second tablet; while it seems to be the best performing Core M tablet, I am still not sure whether it is enough for my needs.

SuperiorWitt likes this.
  7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@SuperiorWitt I am with @Starlight5 , the Elite X2 1012 would be the best of your bunch. Minor correction to your list, the Acer Switch Alpha 12 is (the only) fanless i5/i7-U, that's the great thing about it, but it has a crappy Synaptics Pen.

Yopu might be able to get the Miix 700 cheaper than the Elite x2 1012, but the Elite has better ports on the tablet and indeed a better keyboard, which also flexes less. Both also have the option to open it and replace or upgrade the SSD.

I would suggest the m5, unless you have a great deal for a m7. Usually the m7 versions suffer from more throttling since the manufacturers use the same thermal design whether it's a m3, m5 or m7. For very short performance bursts a m7 is better, but for longer, continuous workloads it might actually be slower.

SuperiorWitt likes this.
  8. SuperiorWitt

SuperiorWitt Pen Pal - Newbie

I like the Yoga 260, but I cant get past the bezels for some reason. I've also owned the Yoga x1 for a spell, but it was difficult to get used to the ratio coming from the Surface Book. In the past year, ive owned:
    HP 612 G1 - Super Heavy, poor battery life
    Thinkpad Yoga x1(i7, QHD) - battery life was horrendous(4 hours)
    s1 Yoga - Heavy, poor battery life
    Surface Book x3(i7, i5 w/gpu) - various issues, overheating, keyboard wouldnt always disconnect, extremely expensive for my use cases
    Asus Transformer TX300CA - Found on Craigslist for 100$. Not bad, just heavy as hell
    Surface Pro 3 (i7) - Battery life was around 3 hours
    Razer Blade Stealth - Bezels
    Vaio Z Flip - LOVED it..felt premium, but battery life wasnt great, and again.. was extremely expensive, 16:9, loud fan and avg battery life
    Dell XPS 13 - Probably the 2nd or 3rd best ultrabook available.. i just prefer the convertible form factor and different screen ratio
    x1 Carbon - Was actually pretty perfect, just like the 2-1 form factor

There doesnt seem to be alot of well-rounded options for some reason. Ever single product has a pretty large caveat.. battery life, aspect ratio(I cant stand 16:9), throttling, poor keyboard, weight etc. I would love something aesthetic, Pen use for note taking, 12-13" screen, 6+ hour battery life, 3:2, 4:3 ratio, under 2.5 or less with keyboard connected. It honestly seems the Elitebook x2 is the only one that comes close at this time. So ill probably pick one up to check out more closely.

The jailbroken iPad Pro + Brydge Keyboard has really been the only solid, consistent option aside from the Surface Book. But for certain things there is just too much compromise in terms of productivity. Lack of true usb hosting, lack of touchpad, have to cloud sync docs and connect to VM for real work.

My main portable laptop at the moment(and I love it) is the recently released GPD WIN, but of course.. the performance is only passable and a 5.5" screen and chiclet keyboard, can tireout eyes and fingers after awhile.

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@SuperiorWitt if you manage to sip X1 Yoga out of juice after 4 hours, I don't really know what to say. (= Probably it's due to QHD display and i7.

@kvoram would it be possible to restrain m7 performance to m5 levels, using Intel XTU/Throttlestop - or only undervolt it, which may or may not go well depending on silicon lottery?

Also, Elite X2 owners, please kindly post a photo of device with kickstand pushed to its limit, to see what angle does it produce.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  10. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@SuperiorWitt If you liked the regular XPS 13, the new XPS13 9365 2-in-1 might be also something to consider:
    Here is the forum thread for it and two reviews:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/dell-xps-13-9365-2-in-1.71494/
    http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-xps-13-2-in-1

Just be aware that the 2-in-1 runs on less powerful Core i-Y vs. Core i-U on the regular XPS 13. Though coil whine seems to be a regular complaint.

@Starlight5 I don't have enough experience with Core m to give good advice. I guess your ideas would work reasonably well but with the big variations in thermal designs it really comes down to trial and error.