HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. easy2day

easy2day Pen Pal - Newbie

hope this post goes through since sent from abroad:

Please test the following power completely off procedure for the Elite X2 1012. Can't test it any more... Many people seem to know it in the meantime
    1. Shut down the Elite X2
    2. When the device is off, press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds but not more than 40 seconds. Ignore what you see on the screen or how the attached keyboard reacts.
    3. Next: Press the volume+ button and the power button simultaneously for at least 15 to a maximum of 25 seconds. To avoid that state that the X2 is in (that was performed with step 2 above) is lost, hold your finger first on the volume+ button and after that press the power button. Keep both buttons pressed for at least 15 seconds, but not longer than 25 seconds. Release first the power button and then the volume+ button.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2016
    mikewho, Waschmaschine and RT545 like this.
  2. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad you posted it :)

This procedure should completely power off the HP elite X2 1012 G1, and so bring it back in a state equivalent to ACPI G3 state; after that, no more power drain, and no more electric activity should (at last) normally be seen in the machine.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can test this.

@Waschmaschine: the results you recently posted show that the situation is clearly still not good, 45% in 7 days (168 hours) gives 6,5% per day, which is indeed clearly not acceptable, so if you have time, please feel free to test this true power off procedure described above by @easy2day and to report if you still see a battery drain after that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    mikewho and Waschmaschine like this.
  3. Waschmaschine

Waschmaschine Pen Pal - Newbie

I test it now.

Bios 1.18 is online

Bios 1.17 keep removed.

If i update from 1.17 to 1.18 I must to repeat the posted procedure ?
    How can make cancel this "setting" ?

Thanks and best regards from Cologne :)

RT545 likes this.
  4. ellveez

ellveez Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same problems with the pen. I was too lazy to RMA it. I bought this one:
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01CO6DXYW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    the one für tablet.
    This one works like the hp-pen should without any hassle, though it doesn't have a knob at the top to open a program like ms note. On the other side it doesn't need a bluetooth connection.
    I too sticks magneticly on the x2 (also with keyboard attached).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  5. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

Bios 1.18 bricked my tablet. I tried the "standard" reset procedures, unplugged 15 second power button hold (logo blinks for approx. a second, then black) then plugged in 15 second power button hold. Support case filed. Should I try the procedure above?

Edit: tried the above procedure; no joy. I tried every variation, plugged and unplugged, removed SD card. If anyone has a number for HP Support I'd sure appreciate having that. HP's site is a nightmare, and no number is listed on the contact screen. Typing this on an iPad2, so my life is sucking... Heh.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello,

Sorry to hear that.

For the US, there is this webpage: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/business-support.html that gives a phone number for support (you have to select "business product" in the combo box).

Unfortunately, I don't think that the above procedure may help in case of a bricked machine.

7. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't believe I figured this out. There are several unanswered posts on HP's forum site describing my issue, but I found an answered one that was close, just for a different product.

The Support Assistant neglected to mention that I needed to plug in the keyboard and wait for a few hours... HUH? I was able to get to the update screen by pressing/holding Windows+B on the keyboard, then pressing the power button for a second. Still had a black screen, but the keyboard was lit, so I pressed either F10 or ESC, which brought up the update screen. The system then finished the Bios update, updated the keyboard, and successfully rebooted. Royal PITA, and I've yet to hear boo from HP on the support ticket.

8. kjlietz

kjlietz Pen Pal - Newbie

For more than a year I had a hard time. My Asus EP121 still was my go to device for note taking and some doodling. I still think that it is one of the best devices ever made in this class.

But time rolled over it a few times and without proper drivers it was getting really slow. I looked into a MS Surface pro 4, an Acer Switch 12 and was hoping for the Asus Transformer pro 3. I looked also into HP devices, but the old Experience of a TX2 with a hot running AMD CPU and a full blast fan all the time made me look for other devices. After reading this thread a few times I felt vindicated. How could a bussiness class device be so faulty by design?

But there are enough reasons not to buy a MS Surface device, not to buy a Lenovo, not to buy the Acer Switch and after first reviews even not to buy the Transformer pro 3.
    So I convinced myself that a fanless design, AES digitizer, an exceptional good keyboard,a full HD display and an easy to open case might not be the worst. And I bought the Elite X2.

After two days it might be to early. But what I can say is this: the Elite X2 1012 G1 is really a fine device. Note taking is pure fun, doodling too and the keyboard is good enough to even write a book on it (I am an author). And the silence is just awesome!

It seems that HP of today is totally different to HP of the days I was so disappointed of the company.

I wonder if someone already updated the Elite X2 to Windows 10 Anniversary update. I made the step with my EP121 and with my AVTN 8. In both cases I had no problems at all. But I am not sure if I should wait until MS offers it via Win Update. What is your recommendation?

Kai

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  9. kjlietz

kjlietz Pen Pal - Newbie

10. kjlietz

kjlietz Pen Pal - Newbie

Anniversary Update was a breeze! Everything works. So I can recommend this from my site.
    One observation: I originally thought that I would miss my eraser from the back of the pen. Actually pressing one of the side buttons is quicker. I do not have to turn the pen for it. :)