HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waschmaschine

Waschmaschine Pen Pal - Newbie

In 48h my
    L5H20EA
    lost 4- 5% with Bios 1.17 ( keyboard attached ).

2. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately... Thanks for the test.

I do not have the tablet any more; when I had it, I tested every possible BIOS option, including the Deep Sleep;
    In the general BIOS documentation for such HP machines, located here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05166986, you can see the description for the deep sleep option: it says this:

"When checked, reduces power consumption while in
    S3/S4/S5 to extend battery life.
    Note: Enabling deep sleep disables some wake events
    such as wake on USB without AC power.
    "

And so disabling it sets the sleeping state to a lower state of ACPI where USB events can actually wake the tablet; this causes a more active sleep state (less deep because deep sleep is disabled) and so this produces an effect opposite to the power off we seek to achieve (this has an effect on the sleep states S3/S4/S5 anyway, and does not concern the G3 "mechanical off" ACPI state that, for some reason, the tablet never reaches).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  3. johnwolf

johnwolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Very Stange to belive, regarding your Guidlines, it makes no sense to DEACTIVATE deep sleep but look at my test enviroment.

Tablet deep sleep on , battery Level :
    Day 1 99%
    Day 2 91%
    Day 3 38%
    Day 4 0%

Same Tablet with deep sleed off, battery Level
    Day 1 98%
    Day 2 96%
    Day 3 90%
    Day 4 (result available tonight)

4. RT545

Ok, thanks for the figures.

You find the expected 2% in the best case. Maybe the situation is switched compared to what is written in the manual.
    Do you use BIOS v 1.17? And have you tried to wake through USB, to confirm in which of the two situation USB events
    are disabled?

If you want a much faster method to highlight the problem (that gives you immediate result instead of waiting 24 hours each time), you can try to use an ordinary radio (an old one, without a squelch) tuned on the good frequency (around 250KHZ LW) that you can approach close to the (apparently) powered off tablet.
    Such a device will emit cracklings when approached close to any powered on electronic device (notebook, tablet, smartphone, ...)
    due to electromagnetic induction, thus proving that there are electric charges moving in the tablet all the time, which explains the battery drain,
    a situation that never happens with any truly powered off device.

This is what we did more than 4 months ago:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/hp-elite-x2-1012-discussion-thread.68692/page-50#post-473253

And you can see here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/hp-elite-x2-1012-discussion-thread.68692/page-51#post-473386
    the result of this test performed by @easy2day and his work colleagues with different BIOS versions (strangely, the problem
    did not seem to happen with older BIOS 1.09!)

Edit:

Your numbers seem to indicate something important that was not seen until now: If I believe what you write, I see an acceleration (99, 91, 38, 0, and 98 96 90); did you let the device completely off during your 4 days testing each time, or did you switch it on? Because if this was off all the time, this is interesting! (I would rather expect 2% per day constant, not accelerating. And by the way, the normal drain rate of a battery is rather 2% per month).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  5. johnwolf

Just got answer from our Corporate HP Account ....

This makes sense, so with Bios 1.170 and Deep Sleep ON, i have a 3 day rate of 10% which equals 0% in 30 days - as HP mentioned !!!!

Dear Mr. Wolf,
    Battery drain with KBD attached were largely eliminated with BIOS version to 1.16.
    But The Battery losses can not be completely eliminated..
    The battery should be about 30 days holding at completely turned off tablet .. (according to HP Lab)

With the release of Ver 1:17 more bugs have been fixed.
    Please also see the Customer Advisory.

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER ADVISORY
    Document ID: c05250839
    Version: 1
    Advisory: HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 65W Dock, HP Elite X2 1012 G1, EliteBook Folio G1 - Ports Not Detected or External Display Flickers When Connected to HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 Dock
    NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.
    Release Date: 2016-08-30
    Last Updated: 2016-08-31
    • The dock disconnects during use
    • Some or all ports on the dock are not detected
    • Some or all ports on the dock disconnect during use
    • External monitors attached to the dock may blink on and off, or flicker
    SCOPE
    Information in this document applies to the following:
    Configuration:
    • External monitor connected by HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 65W Dock
    Computers:
    • HP Elite x2 1012 G1
    • HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC
    Dock:
    • HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 65W Dock
    Cables:
    • Assembly part 843011-001 : HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 power cable
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, download and install the SoftPaqs listed below (or later versions) and install them in the supplied order.
    IMPORTANT: Apply the listed SoftPaqs in the order listed below.
    IMPORTANT: The computer must be connected to the dock while installing the updates.
    IMPORTANT: Reboot the computer after every installation to insure that the installation process completes correctly.
    To locate the components:
    1. Go here: http://www.hp.com/drivers .
    2. Select your language.
    3. Enter your product.
    4. Select your operating system.
    For HP Elite X2 1012 G1
    Component Name Minimum Version Where to Verify
    System BIOS 1.17 Bios F10 Setup-> System Information.
    Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Driver 15.3.40.275 Right click Thunderbolt Tray Icon> Settings> Details.
    Intel® Thunderbolt™ Firmware Update Utility
    (Requires connected dock) 16.1.7.0.8 Right click Thunderbolt Tray Icon-> Settings> Details. Note that numbers to left will not be directly reflected.
    NVM Firmware Version: 16
    PD Firmware Version: 1.07.03
    Intel Graphics Driver 20.19.15.4457 Right click on desktop> Graphics Properties (Intel icon)> Options & Support> Information Center.
    ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.16.35.1 Programs & Features or Device Manager >Universal Serial Bus Controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
    Broadcom Ethernet Controller Driver 17.4.0.1 Device Manager>Network adaptors (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
    Conexant USB Audio for Docks Driver 1.31.36.14 Device Manager> Sound, video and game controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
    ASMedia ASM1042A Firmware Update 131025.10.11.23 Re-run the update utility.
    For HP Elitebook Folio G1
    Component Name Minimum Version Where to Verify
    System BIOS 1.10 Bios F10 Setup-> System Information.
    Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Driver 15.3.40.275 Right click Thunderbolt Tray Icon> Settings> Details.
    Intel® Thunderbolt™ Firmware Update Utility
    (Requires connected dock) 16.1.7.0.8 Right click Thunderbolt Tray Icon-> Settings> Details. Note that numbers to left will not be directly reflected.
    NVM Firmware Version: 16
    PD Firmware Version: 1.07.03
    Intel Graphics Driver 20.19.15.4457 Right click on desktop> Graphics Properties (Intel icon)> Options & Support> Information Center.
    ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.16.35.1 Programs & Features or Device Manager >Universal Serial Bus Controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
    Broadcom Ethernet Controller Driver 17.4.0.1 Device Manager>Network adaptors (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
    Conexant USB Audio for Docks Driver 1.31.36.14 Device Manager> Sound, video and game controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).
    ASMedia ASM1042A Firmware Update 131025.10.11.23 Re-run the update utility.
    If performing the above updates does not resolve the issue, please contact HP for further assistance. Please reference this document number when contacting HP.
    Support Communication Cross Reference ID: IA05250839
    ©Copyright 2016 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
    Hewlett-Packard Company shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein. The information provided is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. To the extent permitted by law, neither HP or its affiliates, subcontractors or suppliers will be liable for incidental,special or consequential damages including downtime cost; lost profits;damages relating to the procurement of substitute products or services; or damages for loss of data, or software restoration. The information in this document is subject to change without notice. Hewlett-Packard Company and the names of Hewlett-Packard products referenced herein are trademarks of Hewlett-Packard Company in the United States and other countries. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Please note that all documentation provided in this e-mail is copyrighted material of HP. It is provided solely to complement our service efforts and provide further information for your reference. The documentation is provided "as is" without any warranties or representations of any kind. In particular, HP does not warrant that the materials are accurate, complete and up-to-date, and HP specifically disclaims all other warranties and conditions, in fact or in law, express or implied, including the warranties and conditions of merchantable quality, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property of others.

6. RT545

What about the acceleration? Does this accelerate or not? I am curious about your tonight figure. Because in that case, your calculation is wrong:
    "3 day rate of 10% equals 0% in 30 day", but if there is an acceleration as your number indicates, this leads to: 98, 96, 90, 82, 66, 34, drain..." so once again I am curious about your tonight result. And even with the deep sleep, there should be a constant situation, not an acceleration;
    Please, could you tell if you kept the tablet off all the time during your tests?

The tablet appears to be in a constant situation of sleep rather than true power off (never reaches G3 state of ACPI); there should not be any moving electric charge detected once you ask to the tablet to completely power off. On this aspect, the HP elite X2 1012 G1 is different from other notebook/tablets in which you do not detect electric activity once it is powered off (for me this is the important thing to consider, the behaviour should not be different from the one seen on any other notebook/tablet when powered off) otherwise you can start to wonder what it is truly doing in the background when you ask it to be off. The only way not to detect any electric charge moving (and thus to obtain true power off) is to remove the battery, which is frustrating, when you think that all you would have needed is to add a basic electric switch on the front of the tablet to obtain the same effect (I even asked to customer support once how you can perform a forced shutdown in the hope that true power off can be achieved, but to no avail... I don't know if the situation has changed with 1.16 and 1.17 in this respect).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  7. johnwolf

Tablet deep sleep on , battery Level :
    Day 1 99%
    Day 2 91%
    Day 3 38%
    Day 4 0%

Same Tablet with deep sleed off, battery Level
    Day 1 98%
    Day 2 96%
    Day 3 90%
    Day 4 (result available tonight) 87%

MAKES NOOOO SENSE

so I give up, we roll out our devices with deep sleep on, and bios 1.17 (which gives us approx 30 days during power off)

8. johnwolf

Ps what i will do over the Weekend, is .... i go and get two 1012 x2 G1 out of the box, Flash both to Firmware bios 1.17 and let them shut down/turned off fr-monday.
    then will check once again. if the Setting deep sleep OFF saves more Batterie than ON, I am going nuts

9. RT545

On the contrary, this DOES make sense. As I said in my previous answer, the tablet is never truly powered off and always remains in some form of sleep state (S3, S4, S5) of ACPI, and never reaches the G3 state of ACPI (true power off). You can check this by yourself by reproducing the radio set experience described in my previous message #704 above. And because it remains active, and is still working in the background (some chipset, or the processor itself are still working), with or without deep sleep checked, despite the fact that it appears to be powered off, this explains why the battery drain is erratic and non constant: if this was normal drain due to ordinary decrease of the battery level during a true power off, then this decrease would be constant (and slow). However, with some kind of program still running in the background, then you observe non constant level of decrease, as it happens when a tablet remains in a sleep state. The only thing that changes appears to be the level of action of this "sleeping background task" when you check or uncheck the deep sleep settings.

10. johnwolf

But when deep sleep on = S5 and
    deep sleep off = something s3-s4 means

why does deep sleep on consume more batteries ?