HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Dajinn

Dajinn Pen Pal - Newbie

The battery drain with the keyboard attached is pretty horrible. It makes it hard to keep the tablet.

2. Dajinn

Dajinn Pen Pal - Newbie

Am curious to know if anyone's testing the battery drain in a distribution of Linux to see if it's a Windows or some Intel windows installed component that hasn't been identified as the culprit for the drain with the keyboard attached.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

This may just be my opinion since I only use my keyboard on rare occasions (maybe 5% of the time). How is it your computer ends up sleeping overnight unplugged with the keyboard attached? I use my X2 1012 all day and into the night... unplugged. When I go to bed it goes on the charger. In the morning it comes off the charger and goes back to work all day again.

If you are losing a lot of charge overnight unplug it from the keyboard... it takes like .8 seconds. If you don't want to do that, how about plugging it in for the night?

4. ElCamino

ElCamino Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to go through the complete thread but too long. Does anyone know if there is any special discount codes etc....? Thinking of ordering the m5 version.

5. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello @Dajinn,

There shall be only one! (Ok, because I am not a scottish guy who travels the world with a big sword to cut heads, maybe I should not use this sentence :)). I thought about intel AMT, because drains were observed for other cases due to that and changing the windows drivers solved the problem in that case (see page 53, 54 of the thread where I reported that), and changing the intel AMT drivers is also a general recommandation given by HP to solve some cases of battery drains (see page 54 where I give the link to this recommandation). However, users who do not have intel vpro on their processor also report the problem (ex: @Waschmaschine and @Jesaiah who have L5H20EA version of the machine), so this was dismissed as a possible culprit. I can not think about something else.

I would still be curious about what happens after one has set all the settings on "off" in the MEBx console at boot, though (see page 53 of the thread).

@Jesaiah, have you noticed something particular, after booting in Ubuntu then switching off (maybe a difference in the rate of the battery drain - I know this is difficult to measure, there is only powercfg /batteryreport for that).

6. RT545

And how about wrapping it into an aluminium foil when taking a plane, so that no electromagnetic interference will interact with the flying commands, because the battery can not be removed and it always remains very active electrically and very emitting electromagnetic waves, even when switched off? (Just joking... I did not measure with my radio set if the range of the waves are this of a 'culprit' somehow using WIFI (this could be the case if the culprit had been intel AMT for example) or just this of a residual electric activity of much shorter range...)

7. Jesaiah

Jesaiah Pen Pal - Newbie

With Ubuntu 16.04, it is pretty much the same. Probably not a SW problem ...

8. Jesaiah

Jesaiah Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried that. It is pretty much the same.

Still angry about the bootup problem with the thunderbolt dock connected ... sheesh ... and not reply yet from the support ...

9. RT545

Support must be fed-up with us all; we keep coming to them with hard problems; there would be no need for support if everything worked fine out of the box, though...
    (I wish also the industry could use older models as a basis for corrected newer models, but they keep coming with newer models that have newer bugs somehow (cf. surface pro 3 vs surface pro 4))...

10. Jesaiah

Jesaiah Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, and they have that feedback from literally 100s of users all over the world ... makes me hope that there will be a bunch of solutions in the next weeks ...