HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

totally understandable

and keep in mind that we still don't know if it'll even works, I'll not be surprised by hp if it doesn't work.

The other solution for people interested in a power bank, is the usb-c to 4.5 mm plug adapter (made by hp) that adapter will you to charge the device with any third party power bank that have a DC output, the advantage of this way compared to usb-c is that it'll charge the tablet at full speed (this solution can be used for car chargers too)

the part number for the adapter is N2Z65AA, and it's a usb-c to usb 3 and 4.5mm adapter

2. thunderbolt3

thunderbolt3 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you are right. Using the usb-c to 3mm and 4.5mm adapter with a 19.5V barrel connector car charger or powerbank is so far the most likely option to work. It is not a very elegant solution though, considering that this adapter is expensive and bulky. The bulkiness is probably due to the fact that the adapter actually has to transform from 19.5V to the 15V the elite needs. Moreover, having two transformation stages in series (powerbank internal battery voltage (most likely 4x3.7V=14,8V) -> 19.5V -> 15V or 12V car voltage -> 19.5V -> 15V) is going to hurt efficiency, which is more of a problem for the powerbank than for the car adapter. It's also sad that hp obviously has such a bad knowledge of their own products that they still haven't corrected "usb 3.0" in the product description, which is in fact just a "3.0mm" port.

Right now I don't actually believe that the elite x2 actually has a charger drm like the spectre. It makes sense for me since the aukey usb hub with power delivery workes for the elite x2 but not for the spectre x2. There is still a lot of speculation as I don't have any other prove for that thesis.

I think most of the problems here with powerbanks and chargers not working are there because the elite x2 refuses to charge at 5V. This is also the case for all the dell xps laptops, which definitively don't have a charger drm but still don't work with 5V usb-c chargers. So far the only windows devices with usb-c that do charge at 5V are atom based tablets that only have a 5V charger with 15W and don't even support fast charging at any higher voltage (e.g. Pavilion X2 10,[not 12]).

To make a long story short:
    I think that any 5V only usb-c powerbank or charger (you recognize them by being 15W) won't work with the elite x2, even if they are made by HP. Only way to prove that, would be to buy and test one of those and then send them back if they don't work:
    http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-15w-usb-c-ac-adapter-n4g74aa-aba
    http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/accessories-88342--1/hp-power-pack-plus-18000

On the other hand, I think that all usb-c powerbanks and chargers that do support usb-c charging at higher voltage (you recognize them by being 45W or 60W), no matter which manufacturer, will work with the elite x2. Only way to prove that would also be to buy and test one of those:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Don't expect me to buy and test the products above because I really have no use for them even if they work. I don't need a second wall charger because I already ordered the hp thunderbolt dock which has its own power adapter and I don't believe in carrying any additional powerbank with me (the elite x2 actually is my powerbank for my phone). However, as soon as there will be a car adapter that supports usb-c charging at a higher voltage, I will definitly buy it and post my results here.

3. Joseph Beehive

Joseph Beehive Pen Pal - Newbie

Innergie was tested before and it didnt work. at least not when tablet ON

4. Joseph Beehive

Joseph Beehive Pen Pal - Newbie

well. not very wrong .. think about it ... you go to hawaii and stay in a nice resourt .. you sit by the pool (all day) and want to read web and watch some movies. you hold ONLY the tablet with your hand. battery, when needed, would be laying at the table next to your chair.
    yeah, you carried the batter to the pool area but it is not like you are holding it all the time

or you are a sports photographer and sell digital pictures ... you go to an event where there would be no power. u take some pics and want to edit and display to your customer. you leave the tablet charging on the power bank while you are shooting but when you work on the table .. well.. you only hold the tablet!!!

there are many uses of power bank. reality is .. most of us will seldon need it

other than battery time, the biggest issue is the time it takes to charge.

I remember when i placed a zero lemon battery on my galaxy ..the phone was "thin" but with the package it became a brick. but was needed as it would not survive the day without it.
    now .. i got the not 4 and was about to buy the extended battery BUT the battery can be charged to 50% in 15minutes!!!! i can just plug it anywhere and quickly i have some juice.

I could only hope it would be the same for tablets ...

5. thunderbolt3

Tested with the Elite X2 or the Spectre X2? I just found out something very interesting when playing around with my sisters pavilion x2 12. The pavilions charger (which looks like the one from the spectre x2) charges the elite but the elite's charger does not charge the pavilion!!?? Moreover, the Aukey USB hub with power delivery does not work with the pavilion. (it did work with the elite but not with the spectre). My only explanation: The pavilion x2 12 and the spectre x2 have charging drm but the elite x2 has not. Funny enough, HP will include a non hp drm charger for the elite x2, which looks nicer but is unable to charger the other HP products. Probably the reason for the elite x2 not having this drm is not because HP didn't want to put it in but because they were unable since the thunderbolt controller comes with its own power controller chip.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks , this is reassuring

my worry was if I got an external GPU that it would not charge the device at the same time it's connected to the external GPU

7. Bryan_N

Bryan_N Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,
    First I'll provide the statement from HP:
    HP Leading Edge Power Solutions

The HP Elite x2 1012 G1 is powered and charged by the USB-C™ port. The charger included with your device has been designed, tested, and certified to power your Elite x2 1012 G1 with optimal performance.

Compatibility with other chargers

HP accessories designed for the Elite x2 1012 G1 include the HP USB-C Travel Dock and the HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock. These accessories will power and charge your tablet.

Your tablet works best with the adapter provided with your unit. Using any other adapter may impact the performance of your Elite x2 1012 G1. Any impact to performance by other adapters may not be covered under warranty.

If you choose to use an adapter other than the one included with your device, review the Quick Spec for technical information to make sure that the adaptor is compatible with your Elite x2 1012 G1.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With that said, here are the specs for the HP power adapter -
    POWER

HP AC Adapter 45W

USB Type-C™

Dimensions (H x W x D) 66mm x 66mm x 28.5mm

Input 90 to 265 VAC

Input Efficiency

+5V out --78.7% min at 115 VAC/230VAC

+12V out—87.4% min at 115 VAC/230VAC

+15V out –87.73% min at 115 VAC/230VAC

Input frequency range 47 to 63 Hz

Input AC current 1.4 A at 90 VAC and maximum load

Output Output power 45W

DC output 5V/12V/15V

Hold-up time 5 msec at 115 VAC input

Output current limit <5A, Over voltage protection

7.85V@5Vout

18V@12Vout

20.5V@15Vout

I don't think the 5V only chargers will work well even if they do work at all; they would provide a very slow charging rate that would take quite some time to fully charge the battery

- I am an HP Employee
    Bryan_N

alisaad619, Knight1248 and jbuch84 like this.
  8. thunderbolt3

Hi Brian, thank you for your information. I know that 5V USB charging is limited to 15W and therefore very slow. But this sort of trickle charging works well enough when the device is turned off and in my opinion would be very useful as backup in a situation where you, for whatever reasons, cannot use the default ac fast charger (like in a car, on a plane or when you only have your phone charger with you). I think this is the reason why your competitors (most notable apple) have this feature. From my own testing I know that 5V usb charging is not working with the elite x2. Can you find out if this is because the elite's hardware does not support it or if it is just disabled by software?

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm very surprised that the device is out in the market over a month and still not see any kind of detail review from any kind of tech site.

HP should do better marketing policy.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

It is an Elite product so it is intended for corporate adoption. HP's marketing is through direct contact between sales reps and IT managers. HP 'allows' regular people to order them as well but the bulk of their sales are not through that channel.

Just as a side note, everything other than the base m3 model seems to come with 3 year warranty. That's 3 years of the business warranty not the consumer one.

Here is a summary page of all the models. The ones with the "UT" in the P/N are the Smart Buy versions.

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ct...13&viewtype=Matrix&basesdisplayed=all&Matrix=

Well, that link didn't work correctly. I'll work on it tomorrow and get it working....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016