HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

so now I have 2 issues that HP can help clear up , and if it's true that they can fix it via firmware updates

the first issue is the usb-c chargers issue , on spectre x2 they used a usb-c standard but locked it to hp chargers (so defeating the point of standard chargers ) so I hope that since Elite x2 is for pros that it does not have this limitation

the second issue , is that couple of websites wrote on there hands-on articles that the fingerprint reader don't support windows hello ( like this article , and here a screenshot )
    [​IMG]

2. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

What's the difference between Hello and simply swiping the finger to log in?

3. alisaad619

windows Hello is swiping the finger to log in , if it does not support windows hello then it can't be used to log in

that's why I'm concerned about it , and think that the website (few websites) that publish that got it wrong , I think it's best that we get a comment from HP somehow

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. alisaad619

I will order it but I'm waiting for it to be released (I don't do pre orders) also would like to see reviews before buying it , the windows hello support and usb c charging are still an issues for me (like if I got an external GPU can it charge the device or do I nees to get a dock to split the charging and thunderbolt3 port )

BTW , what website is the best place to buy from (especially if i want an international warranty )

6. alextrela182

Well me too waiting reviews and interesting in international guarantee EU most of all.
    Probably Amazon de will offer sometime as now is offering Spectre x2 or some other German on line retailers.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

7. alextrela182

Here's prices and configuration option in Europe
    http://geizhals.eu/?fs=HP+Elite+1012+x2&m=1
    I'm considering Core m5-6Y54/4gb ram and 128ssd version.

But also have in mind thinkpad x1 tablet too.

50-50% witch one I will choose.

8. alisaad619

I wrote a few replies on reddit comparing surface to hp elite x2, and will post them here (next replay )

alextrela182 likes this.
  9. alisaad619

Elite x2 1012 VS Surface Pro 4 .

the main advantage of the hp over surface are :-

1- usb-c and thunderbolt 3 (for charging and data, but be aware that usb-c port is likely locked to only hp chargers for charging while in use and for any standard charger for charging while the device is off) thunderbolt 3 is a huge point since it allows expandability to an external GPU.

2- it's cheaper

3- the keyboard is more like a real laptop keyboard with 1.5mm of travel (surface is 1.3mm)

4- fixable, and it's easy to open via few screws (no glue) and then you can replace the screen, battery, ssd, kickstand and wireless card (you can't replace the ram), the Surface can't be fixed or opened.

5- support LTE (optional, if you need it)

6- completely fanless on all models, so you can get a fanless device with 8gb of ram (you can't with surface).

and to see the disadvantages of hp elite x2 compared to surface

1-not available now, ships in March

2- heavier by 60 grams compared to surface core m, or 40 grams compared to surface core i.

3- the screen is lower resolution (but still good on it's own)

4-surface have a core i SKU

5-surface offer 1tb ssd and 16gb of ram, if you need it.

alextrela182 likes this.
  10. alisaad619

here comparing HP pen and surface pen

first, let's mention what it have that the Surface pen also have :-

1-metal build

2-AES tech (one wacom and the other is ntrig) so both accurate and precise (I tried both)

3- app launch button (to launch onenote)

and what it have that the Surface pen don't have

1- tilt detection (maybe important to artists, not that important for writing in onenote)

2- higher levels of pressure, 2048.

3- wacom tools, since it's a wacom pen you have more customization options and tools like a circular floating shortcuts.

4- use more common wacom AES standard, so a benefit is that you can buy a different third party pen, like the wacom smart pen for active tablets.

and what it don't have that the Surface pen have

1-different colors

2- different pen tips (the hp pen tip is replaceable but not sure if there are different types of tips)

3-the eraser button for surface pen is on the back, for the hp it's on the side.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    alextrela182 likes this.