HP Elite X2 1012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by SF6, Dec 27, 2015.

1. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

the Elite X2 (the business sister of the Spectre X2) is due soon, so I thought I would open up a thread for it.

Here are the known features of the Elite X2:

Hardware internals:
    • m3-6Y30 (0,9-2,2GHz), m5-6Y54 (1.1-2.7GHz), m5-6Y57 (1.1-2.8Ghz, vPro), m7-6Y75 (1.2-3.1GHz, vPro) Skylake CPUs.
    • 128GB (SATA), 180GB (SATA or OPAL SED), 256GB (SATA [Lite-ON L8H Zeta] or PCIe/NVMe or OPAL SED), 512GB (SATA), all M.2 2280.
    • 4GB or 8GB RAM, LPDDR3 1866 MHz, dual channel.
    • Display: 12" 1920x1280, 3:2, typical 340 nit.
    • Ports: 1x Thunderbolt 3 (USB type C), 1x USB 3.0 (type A), µSD (supports µSD, µSDHC, µSDXC).
    • Camera: 5MP (rear), 2MP (front).
    • WLAN: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Intel Wireless-AC 8260, Bluetooth 4.2 or Wireless-AC 18260 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Bluetooth 4.0 + WiGig ComboWiGig,
    • WWAN: HP hs3110 HSPA+ Intel® Mobile Broadband, HP lt4120 Qualcomm Snapdragon X5 LTE, HP lt4225 LTE/EV-DO Gobi 4G, HP lt4226 LTE/HSPA+ Gobi 4G, on select models.
    • Active Digitizer, Wacom AES (!)
    • Battery: Li-Ion Polymer 40Wh, 4 cell.
    Weight:
    Tablet: 840g (1.85 lbs)
    Tablet + Travel Keyboard: 1235g (2.72 lbs)
    Tablet + NFC/Smart Card Keyboard: 1310g (2.89 lbs)

Keyboard:
    There are two different keyboards available, one with a smart card reader and NFC, the other one with neither of those features. But that one will be a tad lighter and thinner on the other hand.
    Not all models come with a keyboard as standard. Watch out when ordering the Elite!

Digitizer pen:
    As far as I know all models come with a digitizer pen included. It's Wacom AES.

L5H17EA#ABD: Base model including travel keyboard. Core m3, 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM.
    L5H19EA#ABD: Same as L5H17EA#ABD but with m5, 256GB SSD and 8 GB RAM. Changed my order to this model due to 8 GB probably being better for me in the long run.

My first impressions (20.02.2016):
    I've received the Elite on February 15th. It's the 8GB/2560GB SSD/m5 variant without LTE. The overall build quality is very good. The keyboard is going to be an important selling point for this device since the competition only offers half baked keyboards (Surface). It really feels like a real notebook keyboard.
    The size and weight is a good compromise between a Surface 3 (non pro, which was too small for me in everyday use cases) and a 12,5" device. It is heavier than a Surface Pro 4 though.

The screen is only average. Resolution is fine (no scaling needed, great!), but the brightness levels and colors are not very good. The Surface line offeres much better screens, both brighter and with better colors.

Despite the Bang & Olufsen branding right on the screen the speakers are plain and simple bad. Noise levels are fine but they lack bass and sound like a tin can. Surface speakers are so much better it's actually hard to believe.

I'm very impressed with the overall performance of the Core m5 -6Y54. It turboes up to 2,7 GHz. Even when all four threads are at full load it goes up to 2,4 GHz and stays there. This translates in a very snappy everyday performace that doesn't feel any different from a regular Core U device. Will need to test long term stress to see how long the CPU can maintain it's turbo frequency. The SSD is a Lite-ON L8H Zeta. This one is quite a bit slower than the Samsung competition. Everyday performance is ok, but still not on par with Samsung. For this price I had really hoped for a higher quality SSD.

Issues
    I have encountered quite a few very annoying issues so far. So I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep the device after all.
    The first one involves the pen (which to me is very important since I use the device mainly for note taking).
    The pen misses quite a few strokes when taking notes in OneNote (happens in Journal, too).

As you can see, writing becomes impossible with that sort of behavior. HP is going to send me a replacement stylus soon. I hope the pen itself is defective, otherwise I have no idea on how to fix this problem. I've reinstalled Windows twice already which didn't solve the problem.

The second issue I had is with the trackpad. It's a very good trackpad I must say, but sometimes it just stops working. This has happend to me in Adobe Reader DC a few times. When it becomes unresponsive you have to close the window or tap somewhere else a few times for it to register scrolling again (2 finger gesture).

Another problem I have is with the power button and volume rocker. The power button almost never responds to the first click. To turn on the device I have to push it at least twice for it to boot the machine. The volume rocker shows a similar behavior. The first push opens up the volume menu in Windows, the second one actually moves the Windows slider up or down. That means that I cannot adjust the volume by holding the volume rocker. I have to push it, release it (menu opens) and then push it again to adjust the volume.

So far my pro/contra:
    + Chassis build quality
    + Everyday "snappiness"
    + Keyboard
    + USB 3.0 type A port and Thunderbolt 3

° Screen only average, not very bright, colors not that great either

- issues with pen, power button and trackpad
    - speakers (why is there a B&O label?)

(!): Not sure/ not confirmed/ no details (model, manufacturer) known to me.

Changelog:
    1116: Updated information on CPU, SSD, WLAN/WAN based on HP quick specs pdf.
    4116: Updated keyboard section
    27116: Shippinf date updated.
    200216: First impressions, Issues and pro/contra added.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  2. xader

xader Pen Pal - Newbie

3. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

Edit 1 / the device is launched and it's on amazon , I think this is the best SKU , but you can look around and see what suit you

Thanks for opening this thread

I was going to buy a surface pro4 , but when I saw the Elite x2 , 3 points made me choose it over Surface :-
    1- LTE
    2- USB-c charging ,I hate non-standard chargers , with usb-c I can have the same car charger for my phone and PC , I can have the same powerbank for my phone and PC .
    3- easy to fix (screen , kickstand and SSD)

the things I think i'll miss on Surface /
    1-weight , it's 80g less on core m model
    2-the pen onenote button , and replaceable tips with different feel

overall I think Elite x2 will be a better option for me

and one question , what is the status of thunderbolt3 external GPU ? when will they happen ?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. alisaad619

5. SF6

I have never understood why the application launch button was so important to many. I mean, OneNote is just one click away to launch on the desktop? I rather have an eraser function instead.

Well technically is has already happened:

But I have no idea when it will be available for purchase. No announcements that I know of so far.

6. alisaad619

it's nice to have a physical shortcut , maybe not onenote but I can see how screenshot function will be cool and useful (I wounder if that is part of the pen button custumization )

I know about the demos they showed that why I'm excited for thunderbolt 3 , I would like best to get a gpu station (so i can change cards on the future) I know that now core m will be a bottleneck but still an external gpu will make a difference , I don't need a powerful gpu now but for next year I might need one

7. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Currently there are Thunderbolt 2 eGPU enclosure. But eGPU enclosure for TB3 has not surfaced yet.

@SF6 I am interested in whether the internal SSD (SATA3 based TLC SSD) is upgradable to PCIe NVMe based SSD (e.g. Samsung 950 PRO)? According to HP, Elite X2 1012 has a NVMe based SSD model that's not in store yet. So it's possible that the SATA3 SSD based models could support PCIe SSD as well (assuming HP is using PCIe interface to communicate with SATA3 SSD on those models.

I don't really think PCIe interface can directly communicate with SATA3 drive (though they are all M.2. drives), so it's entirely possible that the SATA3 based models won't support the newer PCIe based drives. The PCIe drive like Samsung 950 PRO has a read/write speed of above 1500Mb/s!

EDIT: According to this document from HP, the Elite X2 1012 does support both SATA3 and PCIe drives. So it's possible to replace the slower SATA3 drive with the super fast PCIe NVMe drive! The memory is soldered down and not upgradable. Therefore, the m5 with 8GB RAM is the best value IMO. Gosh these machines are as expensive as the SP4!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  8. SF6

I wonder why HP offers the Elite with either NVMe based SSDs and regular SATA based ones?
    That said I'm actually glad that there are SATA based options. The Samsung 950 Pro is know for substantial heat output and power consumption and that's not what I want in an ultra mobile device.

I have an Intel 750 SSD in my desktop PC and I don't notice a performance plus compared to my "old" Samsung 850 Pro. Only if you do lots of video rendering and transcoding that involves permanent reading and writing GBs from one location to another it makes a difference. And in my opinion this is not something the Elite is made for. So yea, while it sounds good to have NVMe, in my opinion it's not that important.

What is however important is the answer to the question on how you can output to an external display via Thunderbolt 3 while still being able to charge the device? Any idea? In the quick start handbook I've found quite a few adapters, but none of them seem to carry any power (except the Thunderbolt 3 docking station, but I'm not gonna buy this one just to output to an external display).

9. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

@SF6
    I didn't know that (the heating problem), thanks for the tip. My intention would be to use it for video editing (I suppose 8GB RAM and eGPU docking could help, but I don't know whether that's enough. I don't want to get a desktop just for video editing). The Wacom digitizer is said to support 3D tilting, which could be a useful art tool.

I suppose you have to buy one of the docking stations if you want to charge and output video simultaneously. I think it's a deal breaker. Imagine you have to carry a docking station to meetings? They should provide an adapter with both video and charge.

EDIT: I think the USB type-c all-in-one adapter for the new Macbook should work with the HP tablet, which would provide data, video and charge in one adapter.

10. alisaad619

I'm not sure about that , on spectre x2 they locked the usb-c port to charging from only hp chargers , I hope that Elite x2 is not the same (here a screenshot and a link )

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017...-every-device-we-have-to-chase-the-dream.html
    [​IMG]

wataru likes this.