HP Elite x2 1011 G1 Windows Tablet PC with Wacom digitazer

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by alextrela182, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

It's a PenEnabled Stylus right? It appears to be from the looks of it. Just looking to verify.

2. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

I currently have a base model Dell venue 11 with the power keyboard that I was planing on using as a travel latop/tablet for word, excel, web, and basic media so I dont have to carry a tablet, 2 phones, and a large laptop. Over all I like the device, but I was planning on upgrading it to add a 256 gb drive and LTE, voiding the warranty, and adding about $250 to the base cost of $710 or so. I believe I can get an HP with this already included and more ram, but not sure what I can find for coupons for HP. I havent seen any of the 30% coupons recently.

Anyone have had hands on this device yet? My wife seems to like the dell and might end up being gifted to her or return for this HP or maybe a Helix 2 with power keyboard, but the cost of the keyboard for that is killing me.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Looks like BB is going to get the new HP Spectre notebook so I'm hoping they will have this as well. Would like to A/B them side-by-side.

4. NUHP1

NUHP1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Still no truly hands on reviews of the Elite x2 1011 g1. I thought there would be couple by now not even unboxing video on YouTube.

5. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Funny nobody seems to be interested in this. If they ever go on sale I'm going to pick one up

6. NUHP1

NUHP1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm inching to order this. But part of just can't pull the trigger without a proper hands on review especially without any solid review of the pen performance. Unfortunately there are no stores in my area that have a floor model for me to try out.

I can only assume that the parts in this machine perform the same way as other devices with similar components.

I could be completely wrong in my assumptions and the 1011 could be a train wreck. My HP TM2's days are numbered. I may just have to put in my order and hope for the best.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This unit is on my short list. I thought it was available but don't know that for sure. It compares well with the Toshiba Z20t and other Core M units. You're correct, however, we haven't heard from any owners.

8. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh it is available now I just want a deal

9. NUHP1

NUHP1 Pen Pal - Newbie

10. DanaG

DanaG Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received mine yesterday -- it's the smart buy with the Core M-5Y71 and the LTE mobile broadband card.

Some info:
    • The tablet portion's front edge is surrounded by a bit of plastic, not a glass corner.
    • Windows sensors show accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, quaternion (likely a combination of those three), and an ambient light sensor.
    • The windows logo on the tablet portion is a soft key with haptic feedback. The button is momentary only, so you can't use it to hold down the windows key.
    • The ForcePad's surface seems slightly less smooth than, say, the Elitebook 8560w's touchpad. (That's the last HP I'd had a chance to try.)
    • The forcepad includes audio feedback, but not haptic feedback.
    • It's possible to enable 3-finger middle-click: under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults, set DWORD 3FClickAction=3.
    • Many articles seemed to claim it was fanless, but it definitely has a fan. Under web browsing load, it's only as loud as, say, a Hitachi 7200RPM laptop hard drive.
    • The sound card has DTS Audio Enhancements and "HP Noise Cancellation".
    • Sample rate is fixed at 48KHz.
    • Speaker volume is fine, unlike my too-quiet workplace ThinkPad W530.
    • The screen only tilts to about 30 degrees beyond vertical.
    • The ElitePad ethernet adapter is an SMSC LAN9500 USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet adapter. The system firmware seems to include UEFI drivers for it, so you can do PXE.
    • The UEFI firmware driver list also seems to include ASIX USB ethernet.
    • The dongle port on the side of the keyboard is the same as the keyboard-to-tablet port.
    • The mobile broadband card offers GPS via the Windows Sensor Platform, but not NMEA.
    • I tried out the mobile broadband with the SIM from my T-Mobile Galaxy S5. Works fine.
    • HP Client Security lets you use interesting authentication methods:
      • bluetooth device + PIN; fingerprint; smart card; some combinations thereof.
      • My YubiKey Neo appears as a supported card (NIST SP 800-53 PIV), but is locked down, so it won't actually work with this.
      • Preboot authentication likely supports most methods, but does NOT support the bluetooth one.
    As far as use with Linux, it's rather a mess:
    • UEFI firmware violates standards by ignoring NVRAM boot entries.
      • Oddly, my old EliteBook 8530w has a broken EFI framebuffer, but respects the boot manager.
      • HP's modern firmware must be deliberately broken.
    • Sound card requires a newer kernel, firmware, and new "broadwell-rt286" UCM files.
    • Switching between OSes breaks audio for both OSes, unless you cold-boot.
    • Wacom pen works fine after workaround for ubuntu bug 139288.
    • Touchpad works in PS/2 emulation mode: cannot turn off tapping, cannot right-click, cannot scroll.
    • Sensor hub seems to work, though I don't have any applications that use the sensors.
    Here's a stitched screenshot of device manager, showing devices by attachment (my preferred view):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015