HP Announces Compaq 2710p to be Offered with 64GB SSD

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by radioactif, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

HP today announced the availability of SSD in their business focused HP Compaq 2710p Tablet PC. HP will not be offering a 32GB SSD but will instead offer a larger 64GB SSD for those that desire this faster and more power efficient type of data storage.

[​IMG]
    The HP Compaq 2710p Tablet PC

The advantages of SSD over traditional mechanical hard drives are the following:

Lower power consumption than regular mechanical hard drive, they use less wattage than a regular hard drive

Better reliability, SSD drives can be approximately six times more reliable than a regular hard drive with an average of 2 million hours mean time between failures (MTBF)

Better performance, data moves to and from the SSD drive almost 100 times faster than a regular hard disk in some cases

Cooler and quieter running as there is no motor, bearings or moving head mechanism.

More secure with data as a drop situation is less risky for losing data than the same situation with a regular mechanical hard drive

It's interesting to note that HP will not offer a 32GB SSD like many other manufacturers have started to do. HP feels there's simply not enough space left for storage on a 32GB drive after the Windows VistaOS and other basic software has been installed. Therefore they jumped straight to offering the more capacious, and expensive, 64GB SSD.

Pricing has not been announced by HP at this time, but availability for configuration should be soon. We would expect the upgrade cost to a 64GB SSD drive to be in excess of $500.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless they overprice the 64GB SSD configuration too much, this will be my next Tablet replacing my sweet but ageing Fujitsu P1510.

3. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

Or the other option is to buy a tablet for the processor, wait for SSD prices to drop a bit, and then update the hard drive :)

4. Janson

Janson Pen Pal - Newbie

this is really good news..

I was going to return my 2710p because of the slow HD..

So, does this mean that I can upgrade my 2710p?...or will the 2710p ssd models differ slightly in structure?

5. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Pen Pal - Newbie

The drive is going to cost a lot more than $500. The 32GB SSD is going for about $550 and Dell is going to sell the 64GB for about $900.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. radioactif

radioactif Pen Pal - Newbie

And, sit and hold tight, in Europe, Dell sells the 32GB about 650 euros (I'll let you do the math !).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.