HP Announces Business-Focused HP ElitePad 900 Windows 8 Tablet Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by J.R. Nelson, Oct 1, 2012.

1. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Site Admin

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Although it's not a complete nightmare, as soon as you mention 1280x800, it literally holds zero interest and I do hope that no I.T. departments go for this machine. The jackets are a fantastic idea, albeit probably heavy, which means that they nearly managed to get it right. Nearly. Not quite.

Oh well back to Dell or Lenovo.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wow. No folding keyboard? I guess HP doesn't want this to compete with the Envy. Poor resolution, glossy display, playmobile pen. HP will sell tons of Envys. Not so many Elitepads.

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

What's wrong with 1280x800? That is a great 16:10 ratio screen. Since I use my devices 95% of the time in portrait I cannot tolerate 16:9 so it is great to see a new 16:10 device.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The 16:10 aspect makes the device somewhat useable in portrait, so that's definitely better than 16:9.

Regarding the resolution, I think Apple made that a new pointless trend, like the previous one: super-thin (to the detriment of I/O ports). A 1080p screen on a tiny 10" tablet would make small UI elements (on desktop programs and websites) too difficult to tap....especially if said tablet happens to ship without a Pen! My TM2 uses 1280x800 on a 12" screen and I find myself missing taps once in a while. It's especially hard to select text without the Stylus. the use of 1080p on a 10" screen only makes sense if the user plans to be using the Pen all the time.

6. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

You can see the folding keyboard here... HP ElitePad: A True Tablet for Business - YouTube

Rick

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

8. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

The delta between 12x8 and 13x7 resolution is relatively small, however, having a 16:10 aspect ratio for better portrait viewing was an important design feature.

Rick

9. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Site Admin

There's an optional keyboard case - check out our big preview.

The resolution isn't poor. I mean, it's not iPad-quality, but it's not bad. It looked great, and I'd be happy to use it.

Also, you're counting the glossy display to its detriment? How do you propose they make the display tough (hardened glass), capacitive, and matte, without using one of those crappy display protectors?

Your expectations are unreal.

Why do you hope that it completely fails, just because it isn't quite what you're looking for? Based on my brief time with it, it's a nice machine.

Yeah, this is pushing the limits of portrait usability, imo. I did flip it back and forth a few times and loaded some content to get a feel for it. I think I could happily read a book or webpage in this orientation, though.

High resolution screens could be easily usable with a finger and not pen - take a look at the iPad 3 or some of the Android tablets with ultra high res panels. You can use a lot of the extra resolution to increase the sharpness and legibility of the display, and not focus it all on real estate.

10. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Site Admin

Hi Rick!

Of note, too, is the fact that the ElitePad 900 has a denser resolution - 149 pixels per inch, as opposed to the ENVY's 135ish ppi. That is an oft neglected consideration.