HP advertises Envy, but neglects TM2

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by e-schreiber, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperC142

SuperC142 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't understand... why would anyone NOT want all of the wonderful, value-added software generously included by HP? ;)

Still, compared to "all" of the other options out there, I'm willing to spend the time disinfecting my computer from the included bloatware. The bang for the buck is really good (IMO) so, once I found the TM2, I pretty much stopped considering anything else.

2. nedlyj

nedlyj Pen Pal - Newbie

So, this may be a dumb questiuon (but I'll ask it anyway), but... Granted there is a lot of *junk* pre-installed, but what's really there that is always running (and hindering operation or performance) that requires the effort of a full clean-reinstall as opposed to just removing a few pieces of crap and reorganizing the Program Files menu?

I've done my share of full OS reinstalls over the past 20 years, but I just don't see the need here with what I'm seeing on the tm2, unless I'm really missing something? Which of course is always a possibility.

3. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I got the tx2, I instantly knew that I would never ever buy a "common" laptop again. And it's a shame that HP isn't advertising this little master piece.
    Also I had a hard time finding the TM2 in stores. I went to over 5 stores and only one of them had it.

4. SuperC142

Hi needlyj, I don't think it's a dumb question at all! Actually, I haven't received my TM2 yet (it's still being built by HP), but based on various comments here and also based my experience with every other pre-built computer I've ever bought (not just HP; in fact, this is my first HP), I've always spent a lot of time uninstalling things and usually just wind up wiping it and starting fresh.

Usually there's some sort of "what's new with [vendor]" app that's always running or some kind of automatic update software (other than Windows' automatic updates), some kind of crippling anti-virus that I explicitly asked them not to install, etc. I especially hate the non-Windows WiFi management stuff that's usually included.

When I said "compared to 'all' of the other options out there, I'm willing to spend the time disinfecting my computer from the included bloatware.", I was referring only to comments I've read that HP is one of the worst offenders.

But like I said, I don't have any direct experience with the TM2 yet, so I'd love to be pleasantly surprised! :)

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I don't know if there's a worse offender. They all suck. I think the only way to get a system bloatware-free, is to order a Dell Vostro from the company's small business department (home users can buy it too).

6. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

Regarding bloatware, I was pretty amazed at the Asus eee 1001P I believe, all I had to do was uninstall about 3 or 4 programs, like the dock software they had on there, and it was down to only 1 or 2 startup programs, with a 45 second boot time. My netbook takes a pretty horrifying 2:32 to start up.

On the original topic, I really found the tm2 by chance. I had been looking for either a tablet or netbook/ultraportable, but was sorta disappointed by the choice between tablet or netbook with ION, since no one seemed to do both, but someone tipped me off on the tm2, and it turned out to be exactly the hardware I wanted. I definitely didn't find out via advertising, and Engadget/Gizmodo only did a mere couple articles on it (among the sea of Apple posts), so I probably would have never found it.

7. PlanetEarth

PlanetEarth Pen Pal - Newbie

It's probably because the Envy series is a more profitable high-end line...

Even if you configure a tm2 with the best hardware options on the HP website, the price is about $1100 or close to that right now. Now, compare that with the minimum price range of the Envy series. All of the five Envy models start at about $1000 or higher. If you configure any of the five models with the best hardware options, it easily goes over $2000. Of course, one could argue that people are more likely to buy the tm2 rather than the expensive Envy models and that advertising the tm2 is a better idea. But, the HP marketing team probably knows more about marketing than we do.

Also, I highly doubt that the general public wants a laptop that is bulky and expensive, given the price. Most people do not see the benefit of having a tablet PC and just want laptops with better hardware options at lower prices. Even though the tm2 is attractive enough, there are many things you need to sacrifice if you want to get the tm2 or any other tablet PC in the market right now. I think tablet PCs need more hardware-wise and software-wise improvements before they become attractive enough to average consumers.

8. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Maybe.

We will know if you are right in 2 years. That's enough time for Apple's sharp marketing machine to show consumers that paradise is within arms reach if you have an iPad. As it stands right now, the iPad -- a total newcomer, no less -- has already put the word tablet on the mouths of "Joe Six Pack". Next year, it will be the "Soccer Moms" turn. Then, by 2012, their device will be commonplace among our loving Grandmas. In my humble opinion, HP's marketing has already proven its incompetence. They got outwitted by Apple, despite being sitting on this egg for almost a decade.

The General Public does not care about speed or features. It wants something that is fast enough for Facebook + email. In other words: cheap computers. So, if HP were really trying to reach out for the General Public, they should quit making expensive CG ads showing celebrities computing on Envy laptops and, instead, focus on advertising their sub-$400 machines. Normal people don't want to spend more than that. Ask your folks.

All TabletPCs need to become more popular is to have their characteristics shown on a press conference, then on TV commercials.

You would think that, with all the hype Apple has created around "tablets", HP would be trying to tell the world they, too, have a tablet.... Think again, mate! If you go to HP's website you won't see the TM2 showcased on the homepage. No, no, no. Rather, what you will see is a laptop screen showing a girl, with her friend, taking notes -- 18th century-style -- with a conventional ball-pen and a notebook! Ironic, isn't it? :D

If this isn't a vision-less marketing team, I'm a dancing bunny.

Attached Files:

9. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

Actually, Apple seems to have managed to kill the word "tablet". Everything seems to be called a "Pad" now. The Asus Eee Pad, the Toshiba Smart Pad, and so on.

HP has done a terrible job marketing the Tm2, that image is a very good example. But pretty much every other brand has done little to advertise their own tablets.

To most people, tablet pc's are already just a knockoff of the iPad. :rolleyes:

10. SuperC142

Yup; same thing happened with MP3 players. I'd be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 people think Apple invented the portable MP3 player. It's weird to me that so many companies would allow this to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.