HP 608 G1 owners avoid firmware 1.08 and Atmel Update

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by swanlee, Feb 29, 2016.

1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

So my journey into replacing my Acer W4 has taken another turn for the worse. After getting my HP 608 finally it had touch lagginess, in my effort to fix the issue I installed new touch screen firmware that was posted on the HP site which made my touch screen non functional. Seems another user had the exact same scenario happen on their HP 608.

HP thread seen here where another user had the same issues as me over the weekend.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Window...Dead-after-Atmel-Firmware-Update/td-p/5520494

Firmware 1.08 causes laggy touch screen response, it is really bad and makes the tablet horribly frustrating to use

Going to the HP site DO NOT install this firmware to fix touchscreen issues. Their is currently no Fix for touchscreen lagginess introduced in 1.08A

Seems these drivers below are intended only with Firmware 1.09 which is not even out yet and will brick your tablet if you install them.

Description Current version Size (MB) Previous version Download
    Atmel Touchscreen Firmware Update Utility (American, International) 21AA0957_20151113 Rev.A
    30 Nov 2015 3.1

My only option was to call support and get an RMA for my tablet, they do not have any type of exchange program you will get a refund and then have to re order the tablet and hope you get one that is not on the 1.08 firmware or hope 1.09 comes out soon and fixes the touch screen problems.

This has been a complete cluster f*** trying to replace my Acer W4, I've been through 3 tablets of different models and all have had some type of QA/Driver/touchscreen issue. 8 inch windows tablets are really useful but it just pisses me off no one can make one that works well and is reliable out of the box anymore.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The once mighty HP cannot even release an update anymore let alone get into the market with a relevant device anymore. Very sad...

3. swanlee

Yea this sucks cause the HP 608 G1 met my needs and besides the touch screen issues was just the tablet I have been looking for.

Now I risk re buying it having firmware 1.08 be on it and getting stuck with a tablet with a buggy touch screen.

4. swanlee

Yea so I was able to hook up a keyboard and mouse and get it upgraded to 1.09 and reinstall the atmel drivers and get the touch screen working again and the touch screen lag is not any better. Loks like I'm just going to send it back and stick with my 2 year old Acer W4.

This REALLY sucks as this tablet besides these touch issue was exactly what i wanted but this lag problem is so annoying their is no way i can live with it since my acer W4 has perfect touch screen response. How on Earth did this fall through HP's QA and testing?

You can test the problem easily by opening notepad and pressing on the emtpy area. you will see that the first press is delayed a millisecond while presses quickly after that register instantly. Wait 3 second and press again and the same behaviour happens.

Horrible for a tablet to not have responsive touch screen. I've disabled all the all the power managment options for the touch display and it is still laggy

5. bizlazybug

bizlazybug Pen Pal - Newbie

I just go the tablet delivered and I was curious how you upgraded to 1.09? Looks like 1.08 has been removed, and from what I see on the HP website the latest version is 1.07?

I upgraded to 1.05 to fix the issue with the power/volume buttons not working in Windows 10, and I'm not sure which bios version I should upgrade to next...

6. swanlee

That's encouraging they pulled 1.08 and 1.09 firmware, maybe it is a direct correlation to the touch screen issues myself and many others reported.

Right now if your tablet works and has no touchscreen issues don't mess with the firmware. If you have issues just got to 1.07

7. swanlee

Well I got my new 608, I did not upgrade the firmware and the touchscreen works perfectly. A user reported in the HP forums that 1.09 also breaks touch screen causes lag so it seems HP has not fixed this yet

Firmware 1.08 and 1.09 causes this. Be Leary and do not upgrade your firmware past 1.07

8. bizlazybug

bizlazybug Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like 1.09 has been reposted in the drivers site with the following fixes:

Version:01.09 Rev.A (25 Feb 2016)
    Fixes
    - Provides the updated I2C Bus UEFI driver.
    Enhancements
    - Fixes an issue where the touchscreen firmware does not update properly.

Not sure if its the same 1.09 from before....

9. swanlee

1.09 also causes touchscreen lag so do not use it

10. Hugh

Hugh Pen Pal - Newbie

I notice that firmware 01.10 Rev A , 31 Mar 2016 has been released. Is this a good one?

The Release Notes don't mention I2C bus. There is a mention that it "Provides BIOS support for new touchscreen firmware".

Technically, BIOS is the wrong term for devices that use UEFI firmware. BIOS refers to the old style of firmware before UEFI.

I guess if I'm going to try this, I ought to pair a bluetooth keyboard and mouse first. I think that I'll wait a bit